PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Carvin'

Mudbug
Oct 28, 2004, 11:17 AM
Seems relevant to have a thread of pics of what you've carved so far - so here's my submission. I'm planning on doing 2 more Jack-o'-Lanterns on Saturday, since they only last about 36 hours here before they literally melt.

words of advice: exacto knife, a fork, a spoon, and a big honkin' knife for the top.

P.s. - let's keep the photos in this thread of this year's pumpkins only - I think there are threads for previous years already.

yellow
Oct 28, 2004, 11:26 AM
That's a cool looking "westvirginiapasstime"! Nice carve job!

Mudbug
Oct 28, 2004, 11:28 AM
thanks - I've got some more pictures of it here (http://24.242.124.43/~colin/personal/PumpkinShine04/PumpkinShine04.html), which I tried to edit the first post and add, but since the forums are still a bit borked, it wouldn't let me. Oh, well. :)

stoid
Oct 28, 2004, 11:33 AM
Here's mine posted from my Which Pumpkin to Carve? thread.

Note to all pumpkin carvers: Apply petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to the exposed fleshy edges of your carving to help it last longer.

yellow
Oct 28, 2004, 11:34 AM
but since the forums are still a bit borked

Yeah weird.. mySQL problems?

monkeydo_jb
Oct 28, 2004, 11:49 AM
Those are both awesome.

Quick question, what do you use to cut so you don't carve all the way through?

Also, do you go very deep, or just take off the outer skin?

MacDawg
Oct 28, 2004, 12:10 PM
Great job!
Reminds me of the ones you see on the Football preview shows around Halloween time with different team logos, faces and such.

Y'all have done a terrific job!

decksnap
Oct 28, 2004, 12:54 PM
Here's a couple from my family this year.

Mudbug
Oct 28, 2004, 11:04 PM
Those are both awesome.

Quick question, what do you use to cut so you don't carve all the way through?

Also, do you go very deep, or just take off the outer skin?

that's why a regular-strength exacto knife is great - it usually isn't long enough to go all the way through the shell on a single pass - so I used that to do the initial cuts/cleanouts, then followed up with a fork to pattern-scrape the excess, and the spoon to clean up the fork hashmarks. The brighter sections (windows and doors on the house) I did with a powerdrill.

Overkill, I'm sure, but it worked like a charm.