Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Three weeks ago I bought a 40gb 4th Generation iPod fearing that the iPod Photo would be released soon. My fears were realized this week. So, I sold my iPod on eBay yesterday.

The question now is this: Should I buy the iPod Photo, or should I keep waiting. Not having an iPod sucks, and I have lots of digital photographs (it is my hobby), so having an iPod Photo would theoretically make sense. BUT, would it be wise to see if Apple will be releasing another zinger, or wait to see if these iPod Photos actually work (and are not defected).

I'll wait for your replys before I run off to the Apple Store.

Thank you all.

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
otoloui said:
Three weeks ago I bought a 40gb 4th Generation iPod fearing that the iPod Photo would be released soon. My fears were realized this week. So, I sold my iPod on eBay yesterday.

The question now is this: Should I buy the iPod Photo, or should I keep waiting. Not having an iPod sucks, and I have lots of digital photographs (it is my hobby), so having an iPod Photo would theoretically make sense. BUT, would it be wise to see if Apple will be releasing another zinger, or wait to see if these iPod Photos actually work (and are not defected).

I'll wait for your replys before I run off to the Apple Store.

Thank you all.

Wait for what? They released new iPods, they're not going to introduce any new ones soon (unless perhaps upgrades to non-photo iPods, which I suppose is a possibility). You sound like having your photos on your iPod is important to you. If that's true, go for it!

P.S. I used it in an Apple store yesterday, and it's gorgeous. It scrolls through photos like it scrolls through songs, plus the color graphics are sexy. If you have the money, I doubt you'll be disappointed. And if the iPod Photos are defective (when has Apple released defective products?) they'll replace it for you.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
coconn06 said:
Wait for what? They released new iPods, they're not going to introduce any new ones soon (unless perhaps upgrades to non-photo iPods, which I suppose is a possibility). You sound like having your photos on your iPod is important to you. If that's true, go for it!

P.S. I used it in an Apple store yesterday, and it's gorgeous. It scrolls through photos like it scrolls through songs, plus the color graphics are sexy. If you have the money, I doubt you'll be disappointed. And if the iPod Photos are defective (when has Apple released defective products?) they'll replace it for you.

WORD. Thank you for your time. I think I agree with your sentiments and after taking a tough exam today, I think I'll head over to Apple Central to acquire my new toy. And....I need to return my lopsided iCurve...

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
if you aren't willing to "take a chance" and buy something the week of introduction, then you'll probably be waiting forever.

i think you are doing the right thing in buying what you like and will use.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Say Hello to My New Little (Big Inside) Friend

Brothers and Sisters in the Cult that is Macintosh,

I got it. 60GB iPod Photo. So far so beautiful. Already put an itsy bitsy scratch on the screen, and I think I made the mistake of plugging it directly into my computer (via dock) before installing the software on the CD that came with it.

I do updates religously, so I figured it wouldn't be necessary to install the CD software...but I got errors twice, once when it tried to sync the music, once for the photos. I took it out of the cradle and am charging it via the brick (AC Adaptor). I installed all the software off the CD just to be sure. Hopefully (Fingers Crossed) it will work out well tomorrow when I plug it in and get it synched up in time for an early morning flight.

Thanks for all your help (eBay your iPods and Join the iPod Photo Club!)

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
This was a pretty big step for the ipod.....as a photo person I don't really know what else you would look for. It would seem to me that any updates they would do in that area would be in the software, which I would *think* you would be able to do an upgrade from their website. I say go for it, I dont think there will be an update this big for awhile, seeing as how they just updated to the 4g style.

allison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.