Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
Hamburg
I'm not really sure how to explain this one, hopefully someone has had a similar experience. A few people on the college network here have set up their computers to display a webpage. On a Windows PC, all you have to do is type the computer name into Internet Explorer, but it doesn't work in any browser I've tried in Panther. Connecting with the Apple+K command from Finder just lets me browse the shared files but that's not what I want.

Any ideas?

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
powerdave said:
I'm not really sure how to explain this one, hopefully someone has had a similar experience. A few people on the college network here have set up their computers to display a webpage. On a Windows PC, all you have to do is type the computer name into Internet Explorer, but it doesn't work in any browser I've tried in Panther. Connecting with the Apple+K command from Finder just lets me browse the shared files but that's not what I want.

Any ideas?

try http://computername

?

it should work if their computers are setup properly.

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
i have this set up at home here and unfortunatley the only way i have figured out to get it is to enter the computers IP adress in the mac browser and it will work. I don't know of any other way of doing it.

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
neoserver said:
i have this set up at home here and unfortunatley the only way i have figured out to get it is to enter the computers IP adress in the mac browser and it will work. I don't know of any other way of doing it.

if your college campus has a DNS server and it registers the computer names in it you may be able to get around this:

IE at work computer names are registered on our Microsoft DNS server. Lets say our DNS suffix is intranet.somecompany.com and my PC name is shawn1.

I can then access my machine at http://shawn1.intranet.somecompany.com however complicated that may appear.

kettle

macrumors 65816
use the name in the sharing system preference and stick .local on the end.
http://computer.local/~username/
If you put your user name on the end it'll show that directory too.

osxhardrive/library/webserver/documents/ is where you put the computer index.html and osxhardrive/users/username/sites/index.html is where the user site will be.

Remember to turn on Personal Web Sharing in the Sharing System preferences.

also I think the last / can be important for the user site.
:)

edit: I think I got the wrong end of the stick there. ignore me.

powerdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
Hamburg
Thanks for the replies :)
I've tried http://computername, that's all that's required when using Windows.
I'm still having no luck. The network operates without having to specify a DNS server so I don't know the details. It also doesnt do anything when I try computername.local. Pity, I thought that might work when i read it :)
How can I get the IP address from the computers when I browse them in the Network?

powerdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
Hamburg
kingjr3 said:
Try setting your Workgroup to be the same as the winblows PCs.

Still no luck unfortunately. I must be missing something.. I'm sure it can be done though, seeing as how it's effortless to get it to work on the PC :(

I've got another network question while I'm here: Every time I want to browse / mount a computer on the network, I get an authentication dialog box asking me for the Workgroup, Username and Password. By default the username is set tp my OS X username but as I'm on the college network, it's my college ID number and password I should be using, so I've gotta change it every time. Is there some place I can set it to remember my college password?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
powerdave said:
Still no luck unfortunately. I must be missing something.. I'm sure it can be done though, seeing as how it's effortless to get it to work on the PC :(

I've got another network question while I'm here: Every time I want to browse / mount a computer on the network, I get an authentication dialog box asking me for the Workgroup, Username and Password. By default the username is set tp my OS X username but as I'm on the college network, it's my college ID number and password I should be using, so I've gotta change it every time. Is there some place I can set it to remember my college password?

You could modify your hosts file to point at the IPs of your windows machines.

As for the password, is keychain not remembering it for you?

powerdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
Hamburg
kingjr3 said:
You could modify your hosts file to point at the IPs of your windows machines.

As for the password, is keychain not remembering it for you?

Sorry, I'm not sure how I'd modify the hosts file?

With the passwords, correct me if I'm wrong, but will Keychain only save them once I've put them in once already? I'd just like to set it up so that it tries a set username and password for them all without prompting me, if that's possible.

I hate referring to the windows equivalent, but the way it works in W98 for example is that you log into the network on bootup, with the username and password (and the workgroup already specified in the settings) and then when browsing the network neighbourhood, you're never promted for any of that info, it works just as if they're folders on your local PC. I suppose that's what I'm used to :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.