PDA

View Full Version : What is the lowest possible RAM for 10.5 on an eMac?

chrismacguy
Jun 27, 2010, 06:13 AM
Hey,
So Ive already got 10.5 working with just 128MB RAM, so I was wondering what you guys thought about it booting on 64MB. Is this a possibility? (The machine in question is either an eMac G4/700 or a PowerMac G4/450) The reason being I want to see if a) its possible and b) its useable with so little RAM :p . (Also, please note, that Im not going to buy more RAM as the G4/450 currently has 1GB and runs nicely, Im just attempting to test the waters in stupidly underpowered configurations, just to see whats possible).

iThinkergoiMac
Jun 27, 2010, 08:36 AM
128 MB is the official minimum.

You could just try it and see what happens. You can't really damage your computer in any way...

chrismacguy
Jun 27, 2010, 08:39 AM
128 MB is the official minimum.

You could just try it and see what happens. You can't really damage your computer in any way...

Im pretty sure that 512MB RAM is the minimum for OS X 10.5.8, which is what this slow thing runs, I know it wont harm it, I was just wondering if I should attempt 16MB or 32MB instead of 64/96 - the goal is to make it as low specced as possible, while running 10.5.8

max••
Jun 27, 2010, 09:09 AM
try 16mb then if that doesn't work keep putting in more ram till you find the minimum

drewdle
Jun 27, 2010, 12:21 PM
The installer throws a fit if you are running less than 512Mb, and Apple's system requirements are always a little optimistic, but I have serious doubts about it booting with anything less than 256Mb of memory. All that universal code makes Leopard huge.

iBookG4user
Jun 27, 2010, 12:32 PM
The installer throws a fit if you are running less than 512Mb, and Apple's system requirements are always a little optimistic, but I have serious doubts about it booting with anything less than 256Mb of memory. All that universal code makes Leopard huge.

They mentioned that they had it running with 128MB of RAM, however.

To the OP, nothing wrong with giving it a shot with less RAM :)

chrismacguy
Jun 27, 2010, 03:32 PM

Proof that it runs on 128MB RAM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yizcggvb7xs

This was installed using Target Disk Mode from a G4 PowerBook with 1.5GB RAM, so it installed without a hitch, and as this video shows (about 2-3 mins in, apologies for me rambling) that 10.5.6 does indeed bootup with only 128MB RAM.

drewdle
Jun 27, 2010, 11:05 PM
Proof that it runs on 128MB RAM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yizcggvb7xs

This was installed using Target Disk Mode from a G4 PowerBook with 1.5GB RAM, so it installed without a hitch, and as this video shows (about 2-3 mins in, apologies for me rambling) that 10.5.6 does indeed bootup with only 128MB RAM.

Well done!

I wasn't trying to call your bluff on this one, I just knew there were installer limitations. I thought perhaps the FireWire mode was the way to get around them. Once it's on the disk, there are no more checks.

I still wouldn't want to try and use it though. :)

chrismacguy
Jun 28, 2010, 04:14 AM
I still wouldn't want to try and use it though. :)

Yeah, I wouldnt either, but as I said, its just a demo seeing just how low its possible to travel before 10.5 will just refuse to turn on. :cool: