PDA

View Full Version : WoW Closed Beta Ending!!

AoWolf
Oct 28, 2004, 08:50 PM
www.worldofwarcraft.com

There will be a seconded stress test :D :D :D

ChronoIMG
Oct 28, 2004, 09:06 PM
After 6 months of playing I'm actually sad. Not for the fact that my characters are toast but because I really really enjoy this game.

Can't wait for Nov. 22nd now :)

AoWolf
Oct 28, 2004, 09:15 PM
After 6 months of playing I'm actually sad. Not for the fact that my characters are toast but because I really really enjoy this game.

Can't wait for Nov. 22nd now :)

Didn't you hear you won't be wiped at least as far as we know. So in the stress test you can gank all us Noobs

Converted2Truth
Oct 28, 2004, 09:15 PM
You're characters will not become toast. You'll recieve instructions on what to do to keep them if you are an ACTIVE beta tester.

ChronoIMG
Oct 28, 2004, 09:18 PM
Dude, it's over. Yay, I get to keep my characters until retail... which is now less than a month away :)

ACTIVE? I was playing all day... guess I'm not active :P

BrianKonarsMac
Oct 28, 2004, 09:26 PM
Now can we all stop saying "it's nowhere near done...1st Q 2005 earliest." Nov. 15th I'll be in line to wait for the store to open to pick up my copy :D.

go horde go! :D :eek: :p

benpatient
Oct 28, 2004, 09:28 PM
ouch. HL2 and WoW at the same time?

quality gaming overload...

AoWolf
Oct 28, 2004, 09:28 PM
Dude, it's over. Yay, I get to keep my characters until retail... which is now less than a month away :)

ACTIVE? I was playing all day... guess I'm not active :P

Hey wanna lend a fellow mac user some gold when it gets to retail... ;)
Unless your hoard then you must decorate my blade with blood.

iZzle
Oct 28, 2004, 10:09 PM

thats the spirit!!!!! :D

applemacdude
Oct 28, 2004, 10:18 PM
It was good while it lasted....

BrianKonarsMac
Oct 29, 2004, 12:10 AM
Hey wanna lend a fellow mac user some gold when it gets to retail... ;)

it's horde.

and i shall eat your heart then braid my mane with your intestines.

then after i have decorated myself in cool tribal tatoos using your blood, i will defecate on your corpse.

horde horde horde! ra ra sis boom ba!

QCassidy352
Oct 29, 2004, 12:52 AM
I wasn't gonna try this, but you guys make it sound so appealing that I might just have to... I do love blizzard games. :D

a2daj
Oct 29, 2004, 01:22 AM
You're characters will not become toast. You'll recieve instructions on what to do to keep them if you are an ACTIVE beta tester.

(Just to clarify in case someone misinterprets what he's saying)

...for the stress test, but I doubt for retail. That'd be a poor decision to keep them in retail.

"All active closed-beta accounts will remain active, and closed-beta testers will be receiving an email with instructions on what to do to continue playing in the stress test."

By active, I think they mean not locked accounts, not time spent playing.

KrysBaz
Oct 29, 2004, 08:53 AM
Well by the time I get back from Holiday I will be able to pick up a copy, sounds like fun to me, what a good excuse not to go out in the cold nasty weather.

Now where do you learn to be nasty and warrior like in a game, can I not just make pretty things,

AoWolf
Oct 29, 2004, 09:41 AM
it's horde.

and i shall eat your heart then braid my mane with your intestines.

then after i have decorated myself in cool tribal tatoos using your blood, i will defecate on your corpse.

horde horde horde! ra ra sis boom ba!

Bah

yellow
Oct 29, 2004, 12:48 PM
The more I read about this game, the more I get sucked into it.. having not beta tested it (yet, looking forward to the open beta on.. Monday maybe?), I've not experienced it first hand. Yet. Hopefully the monthly fee will be low. Low enough so my wife won't get sniffy. :)

shortyjj
Oct 29, 2004, 04:45 PM
Think there's any possibility the open beta/stresss test would start this weekend? How have things worked in the past?

I was in the stress test, but can't remember.

yellow
Oct 29, 2004, 04:52 PM
I don't know for sure, but I kinda doubt it. I believe the closed beta has been months of hard work for the folks at Blizzard. I suspect the end of the closed beta means that the end is in sight for them. If their management is 1/2 as good as I think they are, they'll give their people the weekend off and encourage them to enjoy Halloween, and then start fresh early next week on the final open beta/stress test.

This is all speculation on my part.

I still wonder if they can ship by 11/15. If they just finished closed beta, they still have to go to gold master, duplication, and then ship it. Can that all be done in 2 weeks?

clr900
Oct 29, 2004, 05:23 PM
Little off topic but...has anyone else tried playing the beta with a 6800 ultra? I can play with all of the graphics options turned all of the way up except for one and stay at or above 30fps. The one that I can't turn on is called full screen bloom affect...whenever I turn this on, my frames drop to unplayable, like under 5fps. I am wondering if this is a problem with the beta, with NVIDIA or what.

ChronoIMG
Oct 29, 2004, 06:01 PM
Little off topic but...has anyone else tried playing the beta with a 6800 ultra? I can play with all of the graphics options turned all of the way up except for one and stay at or above 30fps. The one that I can't turn on is called full screen bloom affect...whenever I turn this on, my frames drop to unplayable, like under 5fps. I am wondering if this is a problem with the beta, with NVIDIA or what.
nVidia. Driver fix coming in 10.3.6.

AoWolf
Oct 29, 2004, 06:58 PM

Oh man that makes my iBook fell so pitiful.

clr900
Oct 29, 2004, 08:29 PM
nVidia. Driver fix coming in 10.3.6.Oh okay, thanks a lot. That's a relief.

rbarris
Oct 30, 2004, 01:49 AM

NVIDIA has reproduced this bug and has a good understanding of what causes it. It afflicts the fx5200 driver also. There is no stated timetable to a fix - all that means is, they are figuring out how to fix it in the driver and we don't yet know what update it will go into. Restated, do not assume 10.3.6 will have a fix for this issue. It might, it might not.

Rob

BrianKonarsMac
Oct 30, 2004, 02:03 AM
damn vivendia! they are releasing dates when its not even ready! argh. im so mad :(.

open beta tuesday! (like i said almost a month ago...).

"We appreciate everyone's interest in determining when World of Warcraft will ship, but while we are rapidly approaching the open beta period and we are confident that we will meet our goal of shipping the game before the end of this year, nailing down an exact ship date is a little more complicated due to a number of factors. As soon as we have a specific date to announce, we will be excited to share the news with everyone. Please don't consider any announced release dates official until such an announcement comes from Blizzard. This is true for all announcements related to Blizzard games."

ijimk
Oct 30, 2004, 08:03 AM
when is the next stress test approximated? when is retail release?(I heard rumor of nov 14) I can't wait to play this damn game...... I had so much fun playing the stress test GO BLIZZARD! :D

ChronoIMG
Oct 30, 2004, 11:09 PM
damn vivendia! they are releasing dates when its not even ready! argh. im so mad :(.
They (Blizzard) won't admit this; I can see Rob screaming at the monitor right now;; but VU is forcing Blizzard's hand in order to get this game out the door.

I could forsee the stress test/open beta resuming sometime early next week in order to steal the thunder from the Everquest 2 release on Nov. 8th. WoW won't be released to retail that week or the week of Nov. 16th because of Half Life 2 on that date. This stress test/open beta is not for "testing" on the game content. It will be a free preview of sorts for the general public to increase hype and allow Blizzard to flex their gaming muscles.

What does that leave us? As stated in the FreePress article, VU expects the game to hit retail on Nov. 22nd. How is Blizzard going to do that?

Glad you asked. Think about this for a moment. As a CB tester we were told that Pally and Hunter talents plus a bunch of other stuff ("awesome Warriors changes") was coming in a "soon to be released" patch, this thread was published on Oct. 19th. That patch never came. Blizzard has their own QA department; a large one in fact so testing this stuff internally wouldn't be a huge problem.

Blizzard needs to internally GM the game very soon i.e. RIGHT NOW in order to get it to the presses for duplication. This has or is happening very very soon; i.e. next week at the latest.

The game is coming on Nov. 22nd unless another natural disater hits or Blizzard runs off with the code before VU can catch them.

Other tidbits to support my theory; Blizzard updated their policies on the same day they announced the closure of CB. Blizzard has been removing a lot of features that where suppose to make the retail build; Hero Classes, PvP Battlegrounds, Raid Instances (this is another item that was suppose to be in the patch), and other things I can't remember. This would point to Blizz cutting off features that would require massive testing in order to make a Nov. 04 date.

This game was announced years ago; heck I have some stuff that states the game was to be released in Summer 03. Honestly I really do think it's ready in it's current form (as long as the remaining two classes have their talents).

Funny other note; Blizz always stated that they would hold back content from beta for retail. Could Paladin and Hunter plus Raid Instances etc be considered that? Was the game ONE patch away from shipping? Yes, I think it was.

Of course, I could be completely off base. /shrug

rbarris
Oct 31, 2004, 12:32 AM
They (Blizzard) won't admit this; I can see Rob screaming at the monitor right now;; but VU is forcing Blizzard's hand in order to get this game out the door.

I could forsee the stress test/open beta resuming sometime early next week in order to steal the thunder from the Everquest 2 release on Nov. 8th. WoW won't be released to retail that week or the week of Nov. 16th because of Half Life 2 on that date. This stress test/open beta is not for "testing" on the game content. It will be a free preview of sorts for the general public to increase hype and allow Blizzard to flex their gaming muscles.

What does that leave us? As stated in the FreePress article, VU expects the game to hit retail on Nov. 22nd. How is Blizzard going to do that?

Blizzard has posted an official response to the Free Press article. Unfortunately it's on our forum site which is down for maintenance this weekend. Lemme see if I can find the text here.. from our PR man Gil Shif:

"We appreciate everyone's interest in determining when World of Warcraft will ship, but while we are rapidly approaching the open beta period and we are confident that we will meet our goal of shipping the game before the end of this year, nailing down an exact ship date is a little more complicated due to a number of factors. As soon as we have a specific date to announce, we will be excited to share the news with everyone. Please don't consider any announced release dates official until such an announcement comes from Blizzard. This is true for all announcements related to Blizzard games."

I will say this much, the plan we are executing on right now is the same plan we all discussed internally five or six months ago, with an occasional tornado here and there - really very little change from the original plan. All will become clear in due time. Steady as she goes.

yellow
Oct 31, 2004, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the info!

Really looking forward to loosing my wife, life, job, house, and car! :)

Golem
Oct 31, 2004, 07:14 AM
Funny other note; Blizz always stated that they would hold back content from beta for retail. Could Paladin and Hunter plus Raid Instances etc be considered that? Was the game ONE patch away from shipping? Yes, I think it was.

They are downloading a new client so that will likely include the talent changes+ new mage spells+ warlock pets+one raid instance(Onyxia).
Battlegrounds+hero classes+ more raid zones we will probably have to wait till post release.

ChronoIMG
Oct 31, 2004, 11:26 AM
I will say this much, the plan we are executing on right now is the same plan we all discussed internally five or six months ago, with an occasional tornado here and there - really very little change from the original plan. All will become clear in due time. Steady as she goes.
Hmm... you are a very tricky man ;)

ChronoIMG
Oct 31, 2004, 11:26 AM
They are downloading a new client so that will likely include the talent changes+ new mage spells+ warlock pets+one raid instance(Onyxia).
Battlegrounds+hero classes+ more raid zones we will probably have to wait till post release.
Yes, I can't wait to redownload 2.5GBs :) Oh noes;; the horror! :)

invaLPsion
Oct 31, 2004, 01:28 PM
Why do I know this?

1. Gamestop has received Posters from BLizzard/Vivendi touting a November 16th release. I've seen em'.

2. When I reserved the Collector's Edition yesterday I was told that it was confirmed that the game will be shipping on the 15th and available on the 16th or 17th for pick up.

3. "Blizzard's distributor is Ingrim Micro. Jump on your AS/400 server or whatever database system you use to check shipping/recieving/pre-order and look up the Vender. They have the confirmed date of shipping as Nov 15th. This doesn't necessarily mean it will be sold then, but stores should be expecting to have it in their hands by then.

This method of finding the date has ALWAYS been right in the past and theres no reason to think differently now.

This means they likely already have in house CD Testing on the board this moment."

WoW on the 16th!

iZzle
Oct 31, 2004, 01:43 PM
Why do I know this?

1. Gamestop has received Posters from BLizzard/Vivendi touting a November 16th release. I've seen em'.

2. When I reserved the Collector's Edition yesterday I was told that it was confirmed that the game will be shipping on the 15th and available on the 16th or 17th for pick up.

3. "Blizzard's distributor is Ingrim Micro. Jump on your AS/400 server or whatever database system you use to check shipping/recieving/pre-order and look up the Vender. They have the confirmed date of shipping as Nov 15th. This doesn't necessarily mean it will be sold then, but stores should be expecting to have it in their hands by then.

This method of finding the date has ALWAYS been right in the past and theres no reason to think differently now.

This means they likely already have in house CD Testing on the board this moment."

WoW on the 16th!

I think you're right. And, I'll hopefully have the same report bc im gong tyo eb games later today.

AoWolf
Oct 31, 2004, 04:11 PM
I think you're right. And, I'll hopefully have the same report bc im gong tyo eb games later today.

I was also told the 16 at eb. The thing people need to remember is they can send the game to the CD stampers whenever they want because there will be a patch the first time you connect.

BrianKonarsMac
Oct 31, 2004, 07:19 PM
I will say this much, the plan we are executing on right now is the same plan we all discussed internally five or six months ago, with an occasional tornado here and there - really very little change from the original plan. All will become clear in due time. Steady as she goes.so tricksy my precious.

seriously, i think everything is on schedule. the game will ship with all characters and races set, along with talents. they may get tweaked over time but will be pretty much as is, with additions.

battlegrounds won't be in launch. hero classes won't be in launch. PvP will be in, in limited fashion (no city guardians, yes to honor, etc).

sometime this month, retail, i can feel it! i've also "felt" it since 2003, so...

y are all women on the horde side ugly as can be? i want to have a few female characters and the only ones i like are either NE or human...please fix this! dwarves too. (gnome women are fine, it's the men that weird me out).

give paladins the ability to deal damage!

give druids storm crow travel form!

iZzle
Oct 31, 2004, 08:23 PM
y are all women on the horde side ugly as can be? i want to have a few female characters and the only ones i like are either NE or human...please fix this! dwarves too. (gnome women are fine, it's the men that weird me out).

ahh my young friend....another reason the alliance is superior. :)

BrianKonarsMac
Oct 31, 2004, 08:32 PM
ahh my young friend....another reason the alliance is superior. :)no. just another reason to kill the alliance men and take your women :D.

thanks for calling me young :D.

iZzle
Oct 31, 2004, 11:15 PM
no. just another reason to kill the alliance men and take your women :D.

you got me on that one...but i suppose you admit that we are superior!!!

yellow
Nov 1, 2004, 04:38 PM
GameSpy has got to be the WORST website I have ever seen in my life. Half the links don't work, and what the HELL did I just pay for since I apparently got nothing for my $7.90?

dubbz
Nov 1, 2004, 05:39 PM

Haha! Gotta love those undead woman. They could be really hot.. except that they're falling apart and their skin is coming off. Nasty ;)

BrianKonarsMac
Nov 1, 2004, 06:26 PM
GameSpy has got to be the WORST website I have ever seen in my life. Half the links don't work, and what the HELL did I just pay for since I apparently got nothing for my $7.90?this makes me very unhappy...

yes file planet and gamespy are absolute hack jobs...but it's the only way i can get started playing WoW...should i just avoid the hassle and cry myself to sleep tonight!? GIVE ME MY WOW CRACK FIX YOU *******S! TAKE MY ****ING MONEY AND GIVE IT TO ME!

o and yea those undead women would be a blast in bed...removable limbs and extensible jaws...