PDA

View Full Version : My New Avatar-- Whaddya Think?

Mechcozmo
Oct 28, 2004, 11:35 PM
What do you guys and gals think of my new avatar? I spent a few minutes in Photoshop on it... :)

Any comments on it? Ways to improve it? Thanks! :D :cool:

AmigoMac
Oct 29, 2004, 12:21 AM
the white spaces on top and bottom shouldn't be there, IMO, a color which matches the forums site

~Shard~
Oct 29, 2004, 12:37 AM
I assume you just copied the Wraith design from StarCraft? Looks alright, get rid of the white spaces...

russed
Oct 29, 2004, 01:50 AM
what is it?

iMeowbot
Oct 29, 2004, 04:58 AM
This is what I saw at first. Need coffee.

Diatribe
Oct 29, 2004, 05:31 AM
what is it?

Hehe, that was exactly my first thought too. :D

cluthz
Oct 29, 2004, 05:41 AM
Nice avatar mech, i guess the strpes are gone now?

And iMeow, your ashlee simpson avartar is hilarious..

MacDawg
Oct 29, 2004, 07:44 AM
I think everybody agrees, the white needs to go... and it is a little hard to see, but looks nice.

~Shard~
Oct 29, 2004, 07:52 AM
what is it?

As I said in my first post, it looks exactly like the Wraith from StarCraft - I'm assuming he just copied it outright and put a background to it. If he even did that much. (The Wraith was the cloakable Terran fighter jet.)

Here is an image of it I ran across...

~Shard~
Oct 29, 2004, 07:55 AM
After doing some browsing on StarCraft Legacy (http://www.sclegacy.com/art/3d.php) , a StarCraft fan page, I found his actual avatar, and it is indeed a Terran Wraith. The original artist was Thomas Lee...

~Shard~
Oct 29, 2004, 07:59 AM
Nice avatar mech, i guess the strpes are gone now?

Nah, the stripes are still there - he needed to Photoshop them out to get rid of the "SCLegacy.com" banner in the bottom right-hand corner.

See, now that is a great avatar. Conversely, any person can just grab someone else's 3D art from a website, edit out the logo and use it as their avatar. Nothing special here people, move along...

Mr. Anderson
Oct 29, 2004, 08:19 AM
I would remove the background and put a more contrasty one in instead - that way the fighter shows up a little better.

D

~Shard~
Oct 29, 2004, 08:27 AM
I would remove the background and put a more contrasty one in instead - that way the fighter shows up a little better.

D

Good suggestion Mr. A, he might want to isolate the fighter more/darken the background so it stands out better. The picture looks fine normal size, however when used as the size of a 'tar, it's harder to distinguish.

And get rid of the white stripes... hmm, I suppose that could be taken as a comment to the music industry as well... ;)

Chaszmyr
Oct 29, 2004, 08:27 AM
Wow, it really is a wraith? I played SC, but I didn't think it looked even remotely like a wraith lol

~Shard~
Oct 29, 2004, 08:29 AM
Wow, it really is a wraith? I played SC, but I didn't think it looked even remotely like a wraith lol

Yep, it is! Don't know how I picked it out right away myself, guess you can tell I played WAY too much SC in my day... hmm, where is StarCraft 2, Blizzard? ;)

You can follow the link I provided above if you want to check out the other artwork as well...

MacDawg
Oct 29, 2004, 09:46 AM

I second that... hilarious!
Very imaginative and ingenious.
Quite creative too.

Must have taken you a while!

iMeowbot
Oct 29, 2004, 09:57 AM
Must have taken you a while!
That much is true, but it started as one of the movie-to-GIF conversions that someone else already made. All that was left was to zap out the original color, paint over the background and resize a little, really.

zelmo
Oct 29, 2004, 10:04 AM
That much is true, but it started as one of the movie-to-GIF conversions that someone else already made. All that was left was to zap out the original color, paint over the background and resize a little, really.

It still needs the tell-tale white cords, though. Then, it needs to run during SNL next weekend as a spoof on the iPod, called iJig.

iMeowbot
Oct 29, 2004, 10:26 AM
Good suggestion Mr. A, he might want to isolate the fighter more/darken the background so it stands out better. The picture looks fine normal size, however when used as the size of a 'tar, it's harder to distinguish.
It would look really cool as a night scene.
And get rid of the white stripes... hmm, I suppose that could be taken as a comment to the music industry as well... ;)
Or go with it.

AoWolf
Oct 29, 2004, 10:42 AM
Yep, it is! Don't know how I picked it out right away myself, guess you can tell I played WAY too much SC in my day... hmm, where is StarCraft 2, Blizzard? ;)

2 years from when they say it will come out. ;)

iMeowbot
Oct 29, 2004, 11:06 AM
It still needs the tell-tale white cords, though.
*sigh* squeeze all this into 20K? Hmm.
Then, it needs to run during SNL next weekend as a spoof on the iPod, called iJig.
That part's done, lipsync.us, halfway down the page.

zelmo
Oct 29, 2004, 12:27 PM
*sigh* squeeze all this into 20K? Hmm.

That part's done, lipsync.us, halfway down the page.

That's just what I had in mind. Sync Different. :D

Now, about those white cords...

MacDawg
Oct 29, 2004, 01:14 PM
No offense intended iMeowbot, but I liked the old one better. It was simple and understated.

Edit: Better, but I liked the one color better too :) It's hard to improve on perfection and the first one was perfect

MacDawg
Oct 29, 2004, 01:18 PM
Strange, this thread started as a look at Mechcozmo's 'tar, and yet we are examining iMeowbot's now.

Mechcozmo... lets have a look at the updated version!

iMeowbot
Oct 29, 2004, 02:19 PM
Nah, the stripes are still there - he needed to Photoshop them out to get rid of the "SCLegacy.com" banner in the bottom right-hand corner.
sclegacy.com altered that image. If you look around you'll find other copies without their logo added. The white is simply an artifact of pushing the image out to 75 x 75.

Mechcozmo, no need to do that; it works well to resize the image with proportional enabled, only changing the larger dimension to be 75. For tiny images like these, bilinear resampling seems to give the most consistently pleasing results.

MacDawg
Oct 29, 2004, 02:31 PM
Just noticed the 'requested' iPod and earphones in your 'tar iMeowbot, very nice touch. Great job!

Koodauw
Oct 29, 2004, 02:46 PM
This is what I saw at first. Need coffee.

I liked that one.

zelmo
Oct 29, 2004, 03:07 PM
No offense intended iMeowbot, but I liked the old one better. It was simple and understated.

Edit: Better, but I liked the one color better too :) It's hard to improve on perfection and the first one was perfect

Oh, but I disagree. The current rev (changing bkgrnd and iPod) is perfect! :p :p

MacDawg
Oct 29, 2004, 03:19 PM
Oh, but I disagree. The current rev (changing bkgrnd and iPod) is perfect! :p :p

The one I didn't like was the "hoedown...syncdifferent" version.
This version I like very much... excellent!

~Shard~
Oct 29, 2004, 04:10 PM
Mechcozmo, no need to do that; it works well to resize the image with proportional enabled, only changing the larger dimension to be 75. For tiny images like these, bilinear resampling seems to give the most consistently pleasing results.

Very true, good point - by resizing it in that way he can probably preserve as much quality as possible.

Mechcozmo
Oct 30, 2004, 12:04 AM
Well, here is version 2. I ditched the background and added the stars.

I don't see what you mean by just changed the larger proportion to 75 and let Photoshop do its thing with resizing... that is what I did methinks.

Anywhoo, comments on this one?

Thank you for the helpful comments before, and I would bet iMewbot like 'em too. ;)

iMeowbot
Oct 30, 2004, 12:43 AM
Well, here is version 2. I ditched the background and added the stars.
I like that combination of giant pixels behind a semi-realistic rendered ship! Kind of a breaking the 4th wall kind of thing :D
I don't see what you mean by just changed the larger proportion to 75 and let Photoshop do its thing with resizing... that is what I did methinks.
That was just a wild guess that you ended up using a square canvas to force the size issue. It was a more a feeble attempt to steer the thread back toward what might improve your avatar, there was way too much complaining about starting with a borrowed image, but that's what most people do!!!

solvs
Oct 30, 2004, 12:56 AM
I like the ship, but it's hard to see with the pure black background. Personally I like lighter colors as a backdrop. But then again, I'm kinda boring.

Mechcozmo
Oct 30, 2004, 01:24 PM
I like that combination of giant pixels behind a semi-realistic rendered ship! Kind of a breaking the 4th wall kind of thing :D

That was just a wild guess that you ended up using a square canvas to force the size issue. It was a more a feeble attempt to steer the thread back toward what might improve your avatar, there was way too much complaining about starting with a borrowed image, but that's what most people do!!!

Yeah, I was too lazy to make my own... Maybe over winter break I will.

They are supposed to be stars... but whatever! :cool:

Windowlicker
Nov 19, 2004, 08:02 AM
as the others said already, get rid of the white space.. also, the red line is partly a bit messy... too low resolution maybe. any way to fix this??

anyway I think it's quite funny :)

~Shard~
Nov 19, 2004, 09:47 AM
as the others said already, get rid of the white space.. also, the red line is partly a bit messy... too low resolution maybe. any way to fix this??

anyway I think it's quite funny :)

Actually, this thread was started regarding his old avatar, so a lot of those comments don't really apply anymore! ;) I suppose the "white space comment" still somewhat applies though... :p

markjones05
Nov 22, 2004, 02:47 PM
How do i get an avatar?

~Shard~
Nov 22, 2004, 02:54 PM
How do i get an avatar?

Once you have 500 posts and become a 6502 (which you are) you can simply go into your user profile and add one. Just pay attention to the size restrictions. Further information can be found in the MacRumors FAQ (which is where you should have looked in the first place :p ;))

markjones05
Nov 22, 2004, 03:11 PM
Got it thanx, i was going there but for some reason it just wouldnt give me the option. Seems to have worked now though.

~Shard~
Nov 22, 2004, 03:55 PM
Got it thanx, i was going there but for some reason it just wouldnt give me the option. Seems to have worked now though.

No problem - your 'tar's looking good... :cool:

markjones05
Nov 22, 2004, 05:57 PM
No problem - your 'tar's looking good... :cool:

Thanx, just a lil after effects.

Mechcozmo
Nov 22, 2004, 06:51 PM
And mine? Creator of this thread? :mad:

:cool: ;) :p

~Shard~
Nov 22, 2004, 07:28 PM

Oh, don't worry, we're all planning on complimenting everyone's avatar here in this thread except for yours, just to be bastards. :cool:

markjones05
Nov 22, 2004, 07:49 PM

I dont get it?

Mechcozmo
Nov 23, 2004, 07:27 PM
Oh, don't worry, we're all planning on complimenting everyone's avatar here in this thread except for yours, just to be bastards. :cool:

I knew I should have been more paranoid...

I dont get it?
Kind of a joke, there was some talk about some other person's avatar and I felt like I should re-steal the spotlight. Just because. Notice the three smilies in my post, mix em together and you get a joking smily... well, not really. You should get it now.

Jovian9
Nov 23, 2004, 08:34 PM
Thanx, just a lil after effects.

Looks good....a nice first avatar. I just got my avatar up for the first time. Any aging folk in here recognize the soldiers in my 'tar? Wish I could have gotten a close up with the spread gun :)

~Shard~
Nov 23, 2004, 09:01 PM
Looks good....a nice first avatar. I just got my avatar up for the first time. Any aging folk in here recognize the soldiers in my 'tar? Wish I could have gotten a close up with the spread gun :)

One of amy all-time favorite games - Contra. Good choice! :cool:

~Shard~
Nov 23, 2004, 09:02 PM

Heh heh - didn't see your location initially - the good old Konami code too - well done, that takes me back...