Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
What do you guys and gals think of my new avatar? I spent a few minutes in Photoshop on it... :)

Any comments on it? Ways to improve it? Thanks! :D :cool:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Nice avatar mech, i guess the strpes are gone now?

And iMeow, your ashlee simpson avartar is hilarious..

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
russed said:
what is it?

As I said in my first post, it looks exactly like the Wraith from StarCraft - I'm assuming he just copied it outright and put a background to it. If he even did that much. (The Wraith was the cloakable Terran fighter jet.)

Here is an image of it I ran across...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
cluthz said:
Nice avatar mech, i guess the strpes are gone now?

Nah, the stripes are still there - he needed to Photoshop them out to get rid of the "SCLegacy.com" banner in the bottom right-hand corner.

cluthz said:
And iMeow, your ashlee simpson avartar is hilarious..

See, now that is a great avatar. Conversely, any person can just grab someone else's 3D art from a website, edit out the logo and use it as their avatar. Nothing special here people, move along...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I would remove the background and put a more contrasty one in instead - that way the fighter shows up a little better.

D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Mr. Anderson said:
I would remove the background and put a more contrasty one in instead - that way the fighter shows up a little better.

D

Good suggestion Mr. A, he might want to isolate the fighter more/darken the background so it stands out better. The picture looks fine normal size, however when used as the size of a 'tar, it's harder to distinguish.

And get rid of the white stripes... hmm, I suppose that could be taken as a comment to the music industry as well... ;)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Wow, it really is a wraith? I played SC, but I didn't think it looked even remotely like a wraith lol

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Chaszmyr said:
Wow, it really is a wraith? I played SC, but I didn't think it looked even remotely like a wraith lol

Yep, it is! Don't know how I picked it out right away myself, guess you can tell I played WAY too much SC in my day... hmm, where is StarCraft 2, Blizzard? ;)

You can follow the link I provided above if you want to check out the other artwork as well...

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
MacDawg said:
Must have taken you a while!
That much is true, but it started as one of the movie-to-GIF conversions that someone else already made. All that was left was to zap out the original color, paint over the background and resize a little, really.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
iMeowbot said:
That much is true, but it started as one of the movie-to-GIF conversions that someone else already made. All that was left was to zap out the original color, paint over the background and resize a little, really.

It still needs the tell-tale white cords, though. Then, it needs to run during SNL next weekend as a spoof on the iPod, called iJig.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
~Shard~ said:
Good suggestion Mr. A, he might want to isolate the fighter more/darken the background so it stands out better. The picture looks fine normal size, however when used as the size of a 'tar, it's harder to distinguish.
It would look really cool as a night scene.
And get rid of the white stripes... hmm, I suppose that could be taken as a comment to the music industry as well... ;)
Or go with it.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
~Shard~ said:
Yep, it is! Don't know how I picked it out right away myself, guess you can tell I played WAY too much SC in my day... hmm, where is StarCraft 2, Blizzard? ;)

2 years from when they say it will come out. ;)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
powermac666 said:
It still needs the tell-tale white cords, though.
*sigh* squeeze all this into 20K? Hmm.
Then, it needs to run during SNL next weekend as a spoof on the iPod, called iJig.
That part's done, lipsync.us, halfway down the page.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
No offense intended iMeowbot, but I liked the old one better. It was simple and understated.

Edit: Better, but I liked the one color better too :) It's hard to improve on perfection and the first one was perfect

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Strange, this thread started as a look at Mechcozmo's 'tar, and yet we are examining iMeowbot's now.

Mechcozmo... lets have a look at the updated version!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
~Shard~ said:
Nah, the stripes are still there - he needed to Photoshop them out to get rid of the "SCLegacy.com" banner in the bottom right-hand corner.
sclegacy.com altered that image. If you look around you'll find other copies without their logo added. The white is simply an artifact of pushing the image out to 75 x 75.

Mechcozmo, no need to do that; it works well to resize the image with proportional enabled, only changing the larger dimension to be 75. For tiny images like these, bilinear resampling seems to give the most consistently pleasing results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.