PDA

View Full Version : Travelling abroad, what should I turn off?

blinkie
Jun 28, 2010, 05:15 AM
Hi,
I'm travelling from the UK to France with my new iphone4. Are there settings I should be turning off to stop it from connecting it's self to the internet and running up a huge bill?
Thanks,
blinkie

Chupa Chupa
Jun 28, 2010, 05:24 AM
Turn off data roaming and any push mail.

realjd
Jun 28, 2010, 07:01 AM
Be warned: if you leave your phone on and don't answer, it registers as a call forward when it transfers the person to voicemail. You end up paying international roaming for the minutes people are leaving you voicemail messages. If you leave your phone off, it won't do this. Depending on where you're going, look up the international roaming rates and decide if it's worth it to you. Remember you can have your phone in airplane mode (3G/voice/SMS turned off) while having wifi enabled.

And be sure international data roaming is turned off in the phone. That gets expensive quickly.

JustinP81
Jun 28, 2010, 07:11 AM
Just turn your phone off completely.

International rates are crazy! I was in Europe for 2 weeks, and it was kind of liberating not having a phone on me.

Of course, once I got back to the states?

Phone on!

blinkie
Jun 28, 2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for your advice.

Just turn your phone off completely.

It's a nice idea but I'm going to be wanting the camera and ipod. :)

Roessnakhan
Jun 28, 2010, 10:56 AM
It's a nice idea but I'm going to be wanting the camera and ipod. :)

Airplane mode. :p

JustinP81
Jun 28, 2010, 11:01 AM
Airplane mode. :p

There you go!

kas23
Jun 28, 2010, 11:02 AM
What about going to Settings --> General --> Network and turning off "Cellular Data". Will this shut overything off or just data usage?

Actually, I think it just terminates data. Airplane mode is the safest.

scaredpoet
Jun 28, 2010, 11:02 AM
Airplane mode, and you can still turn on wifi if the hotel you're staying at has it.

MrTan
Jun 28, 2010, 11:05 AM
Travelling abroad, what should I turn off?

Oven, Lights, TV, Radio......... ;)

anjinha
Why do people suggest to turn off Push AND Data Roaming? Simply turning Data Roaming Off will turn off ANY data, even push.

So OP, if you're only worried about data you only need to turn off Data Roaming. If you want to avoid calls and texts too you should put your iPhone in Airplane Mode and then turn WiFi.

JonB3Z
Airplane mode, and you can still turn on wifi if the hotel you're staying at has it.

Yep. When we went to Bermuda I turned on airplane mode then turned WiFi back on. Using Internet cafes, I was able to stay in touch without difficulty. I'm sure you can do the same in Europe (http://www.kiosek.com/eurocybercafes/).

TruckdriverSean
Jun 28, 2010, 11:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

"Data roaming" off should work, although there have been some rare horror stories of woe over the years. (mostly from 3rd world local carrier scams)

I would think the new 4.0 option of turning off "cellular data" would be the ultimate kill switch for traveling data worries. If I understand it correctly, you still have a working iPhone in all respects (including wifi) minus the cell tower data use.

Sean

MacMuppet
Jun 28, 2010, 11:18 AM
Hi,
I'm travelling from the UK to France with my new iphone4. Are there settings I should be turning off to stop it from connecting it's self to the internet and running up a huge bill?
Thanks,
blinkie

Just hold it, preferably with your left hand.
;)

Roessnakhan
Jun 28, 2010, 11:20 AM
;)

Haha, well-played! :D

blancoBronco
Jun 28, 2010, 11:22 AM
just keep it simple and turn on airplane mode. it turns off data and the cellular network on the phone, so it's essentially an iPod touch with a camera

anjinha
Jun 28, 2010, 11:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

"Data roaming" off should work, although there have been some rare horror stories of woe over the years. (mostly from 3rd world local carrier scams)

I would think the new 4.0 option of turning off "cellular data" would be the ultimate kill switch for traveling data worries. If I understand it correctly, you still have a working iPhone in all respects (including wifi) minus the cell tower data use.

Sean

Turning Data Roaming Off effectively does the same thing as turning off Cellular Data when you leave your country. Most (probably all) of the horror stories you hear are because either people didn't turn data roaming off or they turned it back on just "once in a while" and then were shocked when the bill came.

cellocello
Jun 28, 2010, 11:24 AM
Airplane mode, then turn WiFi back on if you want.

Bam.

Kendio7
Jun 28, 2010, 11:28 AM
;)

That made me laugh ;D! Good idea actually...

fabianvs
Jun 28, 2010, 11:32 AM
Airplane mode & cellular data

anjinha
Jun 28, 2010, 11:37 AM
Airplane mode & cellular data

Why both? Airplane mode already kills everything.

blinkie
Jun 28, 2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks everyone. Just to clarify, does Data Roaming refer to my phone accessing the networks of local mobile phone companies? For calls or only for internet?

coelacanth
Jun 28, 2010, 05:42 PM
Tips:

Make an email address that's only for international travel. Tell that address to your friends, no one else.

Get Google Voice and switch from Visual Voice mail to GV's voicemail, turn off sms forwarding. You can check messages via email or on the web.

Use GV SMS and check messages via email or on the web.

Thanks everyone. Just to clarify, does Data Roaming refer to my phone accessing the networks of local mobile phone companies? For calls or only for internet?

This is only the data usage. This includes email and all other data use, but not SMS (billed separately).

Hummingbird12
Jun 28, 2010, 05:59 PM
Just turn off voicemail, as well as data roaming.

Texts are free to receive anyway and you can choose which phonecalls you may wish to answer, bearing in mind you will be charged to receive them if you do.

anjinha
Jun 29, 2010, 09:49 AM

Data roaming is only for internet.

dacapo
Jul 10, 2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks, this thread is very helpful.

Maybe it's overkill, but on my next trip overseas tomorrow to Japan, I'm planning on:

1) enabling call-forwarding to my home land line (as I board the plane)
2) turn off data roaming & 3G
3) turn on airplane mode.

Then, leave the phone like this until I land back in the States.

Hopefully this will be adequate? (Do I still need to turn off 'push' on mail, etc?)

Daveoc64
Jul 10, 2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks, this thread is very helpful.

Maybe it's overkill, but on my next trip overseas tomorrow to Japan, I'm planning on:

1) enabling call-forwarding to my home land line (as I board the plane)
2) turn off data roaming & 3G
3) turn on airplane mode.

Then, leave the phone like this until I land back in the States.

Hopefully this will be adequate? (Do I still need to turn off 'push' on mail, etc?)

With Airplane mode on the phone wont be able to use any sort of data, so e-mail wouldn't work and consequently you shouldn't get charged for it.

Just remember that there's no 2G network in Japan, so if you need to use your phone for calls/text messages in Japan you'll need to put 3G back on.

Ehlun
Jul 10, 2010, 11:51 PM
Take out the sim card?

GermanSuplex
Jul 11, 2010, 05:15 AM
You can turn airplane mode on to restrict all data, but then manually enable wi-fi. Your phone will not send/receive any cellular data, but can connect to a wi-fi network to retrieve things like email or to surf the web/maps/etc.

I turned Airplane mode off, then turned Wi-Fi on. I communicated via email only when I was gone. If I had Skype, I could have done that, but really, I didn't have any issues. I told everybody to contact my hotel and send me an email if there was an emergency.

When I got my bill that included the days I was on holiday, I had no charges during my overseas trip. My bill was the same as always.

spotz770
Jul 11, 2010, 10:44 AM
Yes....airplane mode + wifi.

Google voice gives you voicemail that forwards to email, AND gives you free texting via wifi.

The one downside I found recently (3GS) was that with airplane mode on, no GPS. I couldn't find a combo that gave me GPS with no cellular connection...but I ended up having to use some voice anyway because Skype didn't fly in most of Belize.

Daveoc64
Jul 11, 2010, 12:43 PM
Yes....airplane mode + wifi.

Google voice gives you voicemail that forwards to email, AND gives you free texting via wifi.

The one downside I found recently (3GS) was that with airplane mode on, no GPS. I couldn't find a combo that gave me GPS with no cellular connection...but I ended up having to use some voice anyway because Skype didn't fly in most of Belize.

I don't see how you could use Wi-Fi in Airplane mode.

With iOS4, the "Cellular Data" toggle (set it to off) and the "Data Roaming" toggle (set it to off) should be more than enough to ensure you don't get billed.

dacapo
Jul 17, 2010, 11:24 PM
I don't see how you could use Wi-Fi in Airplane mode.

With iOS4, the "Cellular Data" toggle (set it to off) and the "Data Roaming" toggle (set it to off) should be more than enough to ensure you don't get billed.

Back from Japan today; used my iPhone with Airplane mode and 3g off and was able to access wireless networks when available. Checked my AT&T account online and seems to have no charges whatsoever, so I'm good. Thanks for all the comments.

[On a side note, hardly anyone in Japan seemed to have an iPhone though and instead had white or silver flip-type phones, which was quite interesting.]

fedup flyer
Jul 18, 2010, 07:39 AM
So much bad info on this topic that has been covered many times.

Data Roaming off = No data roaming and it works well. This is all that is needed of you dont want data roaming away from your home carrier

Cell Data off = Made for pay as you go type data plans. Overkill to turn this off and data roaming if you are roaming internationally.

Airplane mode= turns off all radios on the iphone but wifi and bluetooth can still be enabled after airplane mode is engaged.

As far as the OP having call forwarding turned on and putting the phone in airplane mode is overkill. Roaming rates aren't really that high in most countries such as in Asia and Europe.

I have been using my iphone around the world for the past 3 yrs and it is a godsend with mobile data. I just wish the iphone had a better antenna and Profiles.

zorinlynx
May 7, 2013, 09:29 AM
Keep in mind that airplane mode shuts off the GPS too (which I always thought was stupid as GPS is receive only!)

The best solution is to set a SIM PIN and restart your phone. With the PIN unentered, the cellular radio will stay completely off, avoiding charges while still letting you use GPS, Wifi and Bluetooth without issue.

SIM PIN is in settings -> phone at the bottom. The default PIN is usually 1111; you can leave it set to that for this purpose.