Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to get PSN Plus?

• Yes

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 32 76.2%

• Total voters

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
I plan on signing up for PSN Plus when the program starts tomorrow. I was wondering if any PS3 owners here are planning on doing the same. Most of the people I know with PS3 are going to get it, but some don't think its worth the money. What do you guys think?

Edit: I didn't even think of making this a poll until I read Antares's post. So I added a poll, even if its looking like most of the community won't be doing it.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I will not be doing it, but I don't think it's really directed at me anyway. I mostly play offline games and watch Blu-Ray movies on my PS3. I "rent" movies on the Apple TV.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Nope. I'm perfectly happy with my psn service as it is. For costing a whopping $0.00 dollars for life, standard PSN is great. I only play online if im super bored, and i barely buy anything off the store, so i'll stick to basic psn.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I switched to PS3 because I didn't want to pay for online use. I rarely play online anymore and couldn't justify continuously paying for the few times I did. I also don't have the desire to play new games as soon as they come out so exclusive demos or games do nothing for me.

I think it's a good strategy for Sony, it's just not something I'm interested in.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
No for me also.

Only because I have Xbox Live, and prefer the online implementation on Live over what I've had so far on PSN. I've also been able to for the last few years been able to buy Live from Amazon or Target for $35, a bargain to me.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Well its now live heres what you get right now. (note this is just first month.)

* inFamous game trial (60-minute trial)
* WipEout HD (Full Game) FREE [normally $19.99]
* Rally Cross (PSOne Classic) FREE [normally $5.99]
* Age of Zombies (minis) FREE [normally $4.99]
* Warhark Fallen Star (Add-On) FREE [normally $1.99]
* Collision Theme FREE
* Fat Princess: Fat Roles DLC $3.99 [normally $4.99]
* Fat Princess Pink and Blue Princess Avatars FREE
* Gauntlet II $2.50 [normally $4.99]
* Mortal Kombat II $2.50 [normally $4.99]
* Rampage $2.50 [normally $4.99]
* Rampart $2.50 [normally $4.99]
* Cuboid $7.99 [normally $9.99]
* Cuboid Booster Pack FREE [normally $2.99]
* Cuboid Bundle Pack FREE [normally $4.99]
* Cuboid Level Editor FREE [normally $3.99]
* Hamsterball $7.99 [normally $9.99]
* Interpol $7.99 [normally $9.99]
* Magic Orbz $7.99 [normally $9.99]
* Magic Orbz Witches Pack FREE [normally $2.99]
* Magic Orbz Jungle Pack FREE [normally $2.99]
* Magic Orbz Winter Pack FREE [normally $2.99]
* Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom $7.99 [normally $9.99]
* Mahjong Tales Ancient Wisdom Booster Pack FREE [normally $4.99]
* Smash Cars $11.99 [normally $14.99]
* Smash Cards Virus Run FREE [normally $2.99]
* Wakeboarding HD $11.99 [normally $14.99]
total Value = Over $88

Via http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/06/28/playstation-plus-packs-major-value-into-subscription/

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
PlayStation Plus reminds me of those Taco Bell $2 Meal Deal commercials, where the manager tells the customer that if he gives him $2, it's all free. Yea, there are a ton of things listed there as "FREE" for you to download, but they are only "FREE" as long as you keep paying your $50 a year subscription. Once you stop subscribing, all of that stuff stops working. So yea, it's TOTALLY free. You just need to keep paying them $$$ to access your "FREE" stuff....

http://uk.playstation.com/legal/det...®Network-TERMS-OF-SERVICE-AND-USER-AGREEMENT/
PlayStation EULA said:
PlayStation®Plus

Type 2. You will no longer be able to access and use the following Subscriber Content after your Subscription Period expires, even if you downloaded it before expiry:

* PlayStation®Network games
* PS one® games
* Minis
* Premium game elements

If you do not renew your subscription immediately at the end of each Subscription Period, but later renew your subscription, you may lose your rights to access any Type 2 Subscriber Content.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If it made all psn games 50% cheaper then yes. The fact it's up to 50% on selected titles which equates to 'the dross you would never buy even if it was 50% off' means NO I won't be wasting my money here Sony.

Can not see any real discernible advantage at this present time.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
Can not see any real discernible advantage at this present time.

ESPECIALLY if it removes the ability to use your purchases if you do not immediately re-subscribe. :mad: Digital DRM really really is a terrible thing. The only one that I like so far comes from Ambrosia SW. A time sensitive serial number that only works for (I believe) 30 days.

I used to want to pirate Escape Velocity but because of the issue above, I just shelled out the $30.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
PlayStation Plus reminds me of those Taco Bell $2 Meal Deal commercials, where the manager tells the customer that if he gives him $2, it's all free. Yea, there are a ton of things listed there as "FREE" for you to download, but they are only "FREE" as long as you keep paying your $50 a year subscription. Once you stop subscribing, all of that stuff stops working. So yea, it's TOTALLY free. You just need to keep paying them $$$ to access your "FREE" stuff....

http://uk.playstation.com/legal/det...®Network-TERMS-OF-SERVICE-AND-USER-AGREEMENT/

You do get free content you can keep. Themes, DLC, Avatars, and, I believe, the video services (such as Qore and any other bonus meda you get) are the ones I know about.

^^^That seals it for me. No PSN Plus. XBL is still far superior in my mind.

So you like the idea a company charging for the ability to play games online when you can play the same games online for free on other consoles?

ESPECIALLY if it removes the ability to use your purchases if you do not immediately re-subscribe. :mad: Digital DRM really really is a terrible thing. The only one that I like so far comes from Ambrosia SW. A time sensitive serial number that only works for (I believe) 30 days.

I used to want to pirate Escape Velocity but because of the issue above, I just shelled out the $30.

You DO NOT loss the ability to play the games you have purchased. If you paid for the game, even if you used your PSN Plus discount, it is yours.

At first I was with all of you , but then I thought about stuff like Netflix and Gamefly. You are renting the content. Do you guys hate the idea of Netflix for the reasons you say you hate PSN Plus?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
At first I was with all of you , but then I thought about stuff like Netflix and Gamefly. You are renting the content. Do you guys hate the idea of Netflix for the reasons you say you hate PSN Plus?

That's not a bad point, but Netflix is a rental service, whereas PSN+ is not being presented as such. With Netflix, too, you pay your monthly fee and get access to all the content. With PSN+, it seems that the monthly fee just gives you the right to buy other stuff.

I'm sure some folks will get a lot out of it. I'm just not one of them.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I dont understand why people are comparing it to XBL Gold. Its not the same thing at all. PSN+ is essentially a netflix account for games, like gumby said. PSN standard still lets me play all my games online (for free, notably). Its not really comparable to XBL Gold because PSN standard offers most of what Gold does.

Ignatius, you get "free" access to the whole list of games up there with a PSN+ subscription. Much like you get "free" access to movies with netflix. Cancel your subscription and you lose the ability to use the products. You dont subscribe to PSN+ then buy WipeoutHD for whatever it was priced at. You can do that, and get it at a discount, so when you cancel your service it is yours to keep. Much like signing up for Netflix and purchasing a discounted dvd through them so you can keep it (does netflix do that, idk).

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
That's not a bad point, but Netflix is a rental service, whereas PSN+ is not being presented as such. With Netflix, too, you pay your monthly fee and get access to all the content. With PSN+, it seems that the monthly fee just gives you the right to buy other stuff.

I'm sure some folks will get a lot out of it. I'm just not one of them.

I agree that Sony is not advertising PSN Plus properly. They are throwing "free" around with clearly explain what they mean. When people here free, they think they will keep it. If they just advertised the service as "allowing access to PSN, Mini, and PS1 games", I doubt people would be getting confused or upset with the service.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
You do get free content you can keep. Themes, DLC, Avatars, and, I believe, the video services...
You don't get to keep DLC. That would be what they call "Premium Game Elements" in that snippet I posted from the EULA. As for the rest of it, the themes, avatars and video... yay? :confused:
So you like the idea a company charging for the ability to play games online when you can play the same games online for free on other consoles?
Its not really comparable to XBL Gold because PSN standard offers most of what Gold does.
If Sony would just start offering cross-game chat and a party chat system like XBL, I would love it, and gladly pay for it. To me, XBL is worth the few dollars a month I pay just for those. Many of my old high school and college friends and I don't live near each other now, and when you add in work and families, we don't get together much anymore. Getting on the Xbox a couple nights a week is how we "hang out" now, and XBL makes that very easy. Should it be free? Maybe, but I will continue to pay just for that simplicity.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
You don't get to keep DLC. That would be what they call "Premium Game Elements" in that snippet I posted from the EULA. As for the rest of it, the themes, avatars and video... yay? :confused:

If Sony would just start offering cross-game chat and a party chat system like XBL, I would love it, and gladly pay for it. To me, XBL is worth the few dollars a month I pay just for those. Many of my old high school and college friends and I don't live near each other now, and when you add in work and families, we don't get together much anymore. Getting on the Xbox a couple nights a week is how we "hang out" now, and XBL makes that very easy. Should it be free? Maybe, but I will continue to pay just for that simplicity.

From what I have read, you do get to keep dlc.
Playstation Blog said:
Each month there will be dynamic themes, premium avatars and premium game elements/add-ons for you to download and many will be exclusive to PlayStation Plus members only. These are yours to keep forever once you have downloaded them.

Article/post can be read in full here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/24/playstation-plus-your-questions-answered/

Lastly, the reason XBL is good for you is because you have friends who use it. I would assume if they weren't on XBL, you would have less of a reason to pay for it, would you not?

Anyway, I like PSN Plus as it gives me stuff I deem worth-while. I'm not saying you are wrong; I just have a different opinion.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
From what I have read, you do get to keep dlc.

Article/post can be read in full here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/24/playstation-plus-your-questions-answered/
I see what they have stated on their blog, but the problem is that directly contradicts what is stated in their EULA. But again, this might just be another case of Sony not exactly excelling at describing what is really going on with this.
Lastly, the reason XBL is good for you is because you have friends who use it. I would assume if they weren't on XBL, you would have less of a reason to pay for it, would you not?
No, the reason XBL is good for me isn't because I have friends. It is good for me because of the simplicity of interacting with those friends. Almost all of my friends also own PS3s, so we could just as easily play things there, but the way XBL lets you interact with friends is just much easier. That is why we use it.
Anyway, I like PSN Plus as it gives me stuff I deem worth-while. I'm not saying you are wrong; I just have a different opinion.
No, that's cool. I understand what you are saying, I just disagree. You see value in what PSN+ offers, and not XBL. I see it the other way around. But, we both have differing things we are looking for, so we obviously won't find parity in our decisions.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
We will probably found out sometime in June before it launches. 9 out of 10, we will have to pay an extra $10 as Hulu Plus can be used by normal PSN users.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I wouldn't mind paying Hulu $10/mo, but I don't want to have to join PSN+ just to get access to Hulu's service (thereby making it more like $14/mo).

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I may get PSN Plus later on, but for my uses now, it's a waste of $50/yr.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
If Sony would just start offering cross-game chat and a party chat system like XBL, I would love it, and gladly pay for it. To me, XBL is worth the few dollars a month I pay just for those.
Thats fine, but some people dont need or desire to pay $50/yr just to talk to people in other games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.