Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
How would the characters in my novel go about using an iPod to steal a car? For obvious reasons, pm me, rather than publishing the answer to this on an open forum. (I vaguely remember seeing something about it when iPods first came out, but at that stage was thinking of my characters using hangers to pop the window button of the car. And yes, I should write faster.)

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
hmmm..... interesting question. :D

I guess you could see someone walking down the street with an iPod, follow them to their car, and steal it that way.

:confused:

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Break the window with the iPod and show how much resistance the iPod has, steal the car, plug the iTrip and select a playlist, drive away... end.

:D

Do not forget to cover the head with an iPod sock... do the holes for the eyes and nose before.. :)

Edit: Sorry, I didn't pay attention about 'PMing' you ... but think about it.

kettle

macrumors 65816
AmigoMac said:
Break the window with the iPod and show how much resistance the iPod has, steal the car, plug the iTrip and select a playlist, drive away... end.

Do not forget to cover the head with an iPod sock... do the holes for your eyes and nose before.. :)

he he... that's the badger!

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Mala said:
How would the characters in my novel go about using an iPod to steal a car?
How would a person use an MP3 player to steal a car? Unless an iPod's tough enough to break safety glass, or the car is equipped with an external FireWire/USB port.... :p

I guess you could follow the person to the car and bop them over the head with the iPod, but that would break the iPod.

It's like trying to steal a bicycle with a fish---how are the two things even related, exactly? :confused:

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
The ipod could have an attachment, that transmits IR codes and breaks the little clicker encrpytion for various cars. and then you coudl wire the ipod into the car system and a different attachment to start up the vehicle.

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
Or just install a universal car starter in the iPod. Click the middle button and the car starts. No fuss, no muss. Could pose some problems when 200 hundred cars start when you try this at the mall.

Edit: Oh, I think that is what you were trying to say above. Except you sound like you actually know what you're talking about.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
1. Find a Windows Lemming sitting in his car.
2. Knock on his window and say, "Hey, wanna see my super-cool Apple iPod?"
3. When the Lemmings says, "Kool d00d! Where can I get one?", beat him up and steal his car.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Apple Hobo said:
1. Find a Windows Lemming sitting in his car.
2. Knock on his window and say, "Hey, wanna see my super-cool Apple iPod?"
3. When the Lemmings says, "Kool d00d! Where can I get one?", beat him up and steal his car.

I like the idea. Maybe he leaves the lemming with the iPod as a calling card.

OR

the new iPod photo... with some taughting picuture...and one audio track. Nelson saying "HA HA" repeatidly.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
It looks like the iPod...but it really is a brick of C4 that weighs less than 2 CDs!!

Is this the iPod's "Secret Capabilities" Steve Jobs was talking about? :rolleyes:

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Multi-step plan:

1. Hardwire iPod to cars stereo, bypassing it's native (the stereo's) abilities. Have a wireless card installed to iPod (it is a novel). Operate iPod remotely.

2. You can go four ways here (at least):

a. broadcast the worst music you can possibly think of, trying to annoy the driver to distraction, following him/her until they exit the car in disgust.

b. play a fake radio broadcat, giving "news" of fake traffic conditions, thereby directing your victim to a spot where you can take their car, or some variation of.

c. If the iPod was coupled with a mic and a record feature, you may be able to record sensitive information about codes and other pertinent information. May work better with an armored car or something.

d. Use iPod (with operating system) to hack and bypass modern cars onboard computer. Stall car. Steal car either by posing as tow-truck (can use option c to help with this (when and where) or by driving off when person goes to get help. with this latter option, you might trick the car to show that it is out of gas, so you have a few minutes while the person walks to the service station.

all pretty unlikely, but there you go...perhaps someone can build off of these.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If they were planning on changing the VIN numbers to resell the vehicle, holding all the information to do it -- including the factory service program you need to overide the security in the purple plug under the dash.

Most people are using a stolen factory service computer -- and a set of factory/locksmiths skeleton keys -- to steal these cars.

The keys allow them to turn the ignition and release the steering wheel, while the computer will shut down the security bypass any security chips on the car keys, actually allowing you to start the car.

---

The iPod would just be a place to store the computer program that would do the same thing as the factory service computer, or a place to store all the stuff you need to give yourself title to the vehicle.

The dude in Canada was inserting VIN numbers from cars in California, and you do need the computer to reprogram VIN number burned into it's computer along with a new set of VIN plates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.