Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Already tried to power cycle it

Greeeeeeeeeeeat :rolleyes:

p307494764-4.jpg

edit: I'm going to cancel the appointment and wait to see what happens with hardware and software. Why change it for another green spot .....

uoduckies

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009
Already tried to power cycle it

Greeeeeeeeeeeat :rolleyes:

p307494764-4.jpg

Mine just started doing the same thing. Although mine looks more blue than green. I was using it a lot this weekend outside in the sun. I wonder if the back lit sensor got damaged by the sun? I need to make an appointment to have it looked at.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
There are forum posts suggesting the greenish cast is due to CFL lighting. Does the camera show green cast when pictures are taken without the lighting (natural indoor lighting). If it doesn't have it then it's just an artifact if CFL.

pinwanger

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
OMG I have been on the phone with Applecare for the exact same reason.

This is what the Applecare told me,

that this might be normal for iphone...
that iphone has an more advanced camera sensor like DSLR and that's why its picking up these things

I took about two dozen pictures for Apple engineerings to analyze!!

I uploaded some of the samples I took for them, except the one in the restaurant and it is not under fluorescent light

Attachments

• IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    462.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 225

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
There are forum posts suggesting the greenish cast is due to CFL lighting. Does the camera show green cast when pictures are taken without the lighting (natural indoor lighting). If it doesn't have it then it's just an artifact if CFL.

that was actually my first thought but I discounted it since I had taken similar pics last week.

I went outside and took a picture of the paper and got a nice, even result across the page (underexposed white lol).

just strange that it only shows in the middle when the entire camera is obviously under cfl lighting.

perhaps a lens issue

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
OMG I have been on the phone with Applecare for the exact same reason.

This is what the Applecare told me,

that this might be normal for iphone...
that iphone has an more advanced camera sensor like DSLR and that's why its picking up these things

I took about two dozen pictures for Apple engineerings to analyze!!

I uploaded some of the samples I took for them, except the one in the restaurant and it is not under fluorescent light

good examples

pinwanger

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
let me know if genius end up replacing ur phone....applecare told me wait just in case the engineerings want my phone.

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I just got off the phone from APPLECARE. They gave me the following 3 options.

1. Restore the telephone
2. Repair appointment at local apple store
3. Repair appointment (send to apple) because apple store my not have enough stock.

Now I want to go with #3, but don't want to be left out without a phone for a couple days. APPLE could send you A BRAND NEW telephone for $30. You don't even have to send in your phone first.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
My first i4 had this issue. It not only had the green oval/haze but both cameras (front and back) were very yellow in all of their imaging. Genius Replaced no questions - no hesitation

My 2nd i4 had this issue - but "ok" color. - genius replaced after they determined that many phones have this but they don't always record the image that way (i.e. it's just during preview)

My new/current i4 has the green (although smaller than #1) but ONLY with CFL. And in low light situations - the same space that would be green is reddish instead. If I use the flash - the red goes away and the image is fine.

I think my current phone is up to "spec" - and that there are just some limitations with the phone camera. I don't expect it to be an SLR. At the same time - it is a little annoying that it's not perfect in all conditions. I'd understand poor color/grain with low light. But these color spots is a bit weird.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
My first i4 had this issue. It not only had the green oval/haze but both cameras (front and back) were very yellow in all of their imaging. Genius Replaced no questions - no hesitation

My 2nd i4 had this issue - but "ok" color. - genius replaced after they determined that many phones have this but they don't always record the image that way (i.e. it's just during preview)

My new/current i4 has the green (although smaller than #1) but ONLY with CFL. And in low light situations - the same space that would be green is reddish instead. If I use the flash - the red goes away and the image is fine.

I think my current phone is up to "spec" - and that there are just some limitations with the phone camera. I don't expect it to be an SLR. At the same time - it is a little annoying that it's not perfect in all conditions. I'd understand poor color/grain with low light. But these color spots is a bit weird.

does your latest phone have the antenna issue? was that an issue before in prior phones?

Hollow Man

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Connecticut
Same here, but has to be a CFL issue. If I hold the camera in place where I see green, and then turn the CFL lights off in my office, the green instantly goes away.

Maybe one of these days they'll add manual white balance to the camera options.

-HM

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
CFL lights? So it's likely every iPhone4 has this problem? My cameras (both front and back) have no green/blue spots, but I haven't tested under CFL lights..

Can anyone confirm?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Same here, but has to be a CFL issue. If I hold the camera in place where I see green, and then turn the CFL lights off in my office, the green instantly goes away.

Maybe one of these days they'll add manual white balance to the camera options.

-HM

Manual white balance will be no help. The fluorescent lighting will flicker at 120HZ (twice per cycle) and the cameras shutter speed is probably slower than that. That's why the lighting color changes once or twice during the exposure giving you bands of color. Using the flash may help.

Someone mentioned that he was surprised a picture of a white piece of paper is underexposed. That will always happen with auto exposure. The camera doesn't know the color of the paper, it only measure the light reflected and is calibrated for middle gray. Take a picture of a black object and it will always be overexposed for the same reason. A photographer normally accounts for this by adjusting exposure. Too bad there is no adjustment on an iPhone.

This may not account for all the issues with the iPhone camera, but there are many limitations with any simple camera like the iPhone.

Hollow Man

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Connecticut
Manual white balance will be no help. The fluorescent lighting will flicker at 120HZ (twice per cycle) and the cameras shutter speed is probably slower than that. That's why the lighting color changes once or twice during the exposure giving you bands of color. Using the flash may help.

The flash didn't seem to help that much, but I haven't fiddled a lot. It definitely seems that the problem goes away in natural light.

-HM

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
does your latest phone have the antenna issue? was that an issue before in prior phones?

Yes - it has the reception issue as well. But I have a case and don't plan on going "naked"

I was debating returning the phone and waiting until whatever "fix" was revealed or if it was determined only some phones had the reception issue. But I do believe I will be unaffected by the issue with the case I have and/or a fix will come from apple. If not - we're all in the same boat - so no need to return, right? lol

This way - I know I at least have a working camera.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Someone mentioned that he was surprised a picture of a white piece of paper is underexposed. That will always happen with auto exposure. The camera doesn't know the color of the paper, it only measure the light reflected and is calibrated for middle gray. Take a picture of a black object and it will always be overexposed for the same reason. A photographer normally accounts for this by adjusting exposure. Too bad there is no adjustment on an iPhone.

I know ;)

and camera sensors are calibrated for 18% grey ;)

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
It's a good job that I'm red/green colour blind
Otherwise I might be disappointed, but to my eyes, those images are perfect
Maybe old jobs is colour-blind too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.