Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cornfed55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
i know what you guys are thinking "why in the hell would you do that!!!"

but hear me out first

i have a spare iBook G3 and a couple of g3 cases laying around...i have bad idle hands i have to always be doing something with them..so i this iBook i am planning on putting Ubuntu on it and stripping the paint off the case and painting it black

the biggest thing i am having trouble figuring out is that i wanna get rid of the apple and backlight the Ubuntu logo but im not sure how i should fill the apple...bondo...fiberglass...are there any other options

any advice would be great
thanks guys when i start this mod i will post pics

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
If it was my laptop I wouldn't even consider doing this, it's like jacking up your truck - you'll think it looks cool, but everyone else will think you're a douche.

With that said, I've seen some really nice apple logos made of spare LCD, if I can find a pic I'll show it to you.

cornfed55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Haha yes I understand where your coming from..but I just wanna do something different and test my skills....I have seen the LCD apple I have been thinking about that maybe on one of my other ones..I wasn't sure if you could add a second monitor to the G3..I just got 4 from my old high school for the hell of it..any other suggestions...would it be bad to remove the little pad behind the top case and replace it with something more attractive

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
Unless you have an industrial plastic press or God-like Dremel skills changing the shape of the logo is going to look like a very poor hack job. Also, if the machines have any monetary value in terms of the operational ability, specs, etc, destroying the top case is a good way to make them worth nothing. Most people won't touch a physically modified computer with a 39.5 foot pole, myself included. If you don't see yourself ever selling them, however, I suppose all bets are off.

I think that installing perhaps a different color in behind the clear Apple symbol would be awesome though. Seen that done before, and it looks really neat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.