Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53a7MroA-7Y

We knew it had to happen. one developer has made a video demonstrating their Flashlight app for the iPhone 4. Unlike the countless Flashlight apps for the original iPhone which simply turned the screen white, this new app actually makes use of the LED camera flash on the iPhone 4. What we won't know is if this runs afoul of any of Apple's App Store rules. The developer, however, is planning on submitting it to the App Store.

001849-mzl.oxvqhbma.320x480-75.jpg

Meanwhile, individuals have worked on unofficially installing Apple's iWork and iMovie apps to other iOS devices. The iWork apps are presently iPad only while the iMovie app is an iPhone 4 exclusive. Aside from some formatting issues, Pages seems to work fine on the iPhone 4. There have been hints that Apple is planning on bringing the productivity suite to the iPhone.

Meanwhile, Redmond Pie posts a video of iMovie running on the iPhone 3GS. It is said to be running "almost perfectly". One person even got it running on an iPhone 3G -- though with some crashes. The findings are interesting in that we had speculated that iMovie might have required the higher RAM and faster processor of the iPhone 4.

Article Link: Unofficial Apps: iPhone 4 LED Flashlight, iMovie and iWork for iPhone 3GS

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
That would be extremely useful. All he has to do is charge $.99 for the flashlight app, sit back and watch his bank account grow.

EricStriffler

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'd imagine that the best way for it to work would actually be to have the screen shut off when the light turns on, then tap to turn the light off and the screen back on. Any light coming off the screen and getting in your eyes will make the whole thing less effective.

You get what I mean haha

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
When I need to use the LED light, I just switch to the video recording mode and put the light to "On". It would be a lot quicker with this simple app though, but I wouldn't pay for it.

Bonch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
When I need to use the LED light, I just switch to the video recording mode and put the light to "On". It would be a lot quicker with this simple app though, but I wouldn't pay for it.

Agreed. It's cool and stuff but 99 cents is just out of reach. That would cut into my pez fund.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
No bloddy way that was iMovie running on a 3G. My 3G is slower than that in the main home screen, and I don't even have background pictures enabled. (It was painfully slow when I did that.) That has to be on a 3GS.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
My 3G can barely send a text message with iOS4. No way can it run iMovie!

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Agreed. It's cool and stuff but 99 cents is just out of reach. That would cut into my pez fund.

Well for something I could essentially do by the way that I described, in my opinion it's silly to pay for. Even if it is approved, I'm sure a free app would be released if this developer decided to charge for the app. And sure, 99 cents isn't anything, but you could use this argument for any 99 cent app or songs. They add up quickly, and it's best to think before going out and purchasing anything I like that's 99 cents.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
No bloddy way that was iMovie running on a 3G. My 3G is slower than that in the main home screen, and I don't even have background pictures enabled. (It was painfully slow when I did that.) That has to be on a 3GS.

It states right there that it is a 3GS running iMovie. They just note that they were able to port it to the 3G as well, albeit with crashes.

skeebers

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
My 3G can barely send a text message with iOS4. No way can it run iMovie!

Oh it runs.. But that is where people are not understanding... Yes it runs.. But when you COMPILE the movie on anything less than 512... Well let's just say.. You won't be needing your phone for an hour will you? It will be busy compiling your movie :$

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
LED Flashlight seems like a good idea, I'm surprised Apple didn't build in a function like that to begin with. Unless they didn't want to annoy the developers who would inevitably make one.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
About Fn time. I hope he has a low and high setting for it. Even though the light is crappy. All those people saying how bright it is, needs to have someone show them the LED from a HTC HD2. It COMES with a flashlight app, with three brightness. The lowest setting is about how bright the iphone4 led one is. On high, I could light up a room. Apple should've released a 2 LED light, and a larger screen and battery in the same shell size as the 3GS.

jp70

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Palmdale, CA
This is already possible...

+1. Great app, but only if it's free.

i4software

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
We Think Flashlight 4™ was first.

I believe we were actually first with this idea on the iPhone 4. Already submitted to the App store last week, waiting on Apple for approval. We started on Jun 19th, tested for a couple days after the iPhone 4 launch, perfected multitasking related issues and submitted to the App Store for Approval.

Ours is priced at $.99 and is named Flashlight 4™ - (Waiting on App Store Approval).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYBiT-mG7bw

Flashlight 4™ App Icon Artwork Copyright & Trademark i4software 2010. All Rights Reserved.

-michael

Attachments

• iTunesArtwork.png
    iTunesArtwork.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 120
  • photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    877 KB · Views: 129
  • Example2.png
    Example2.png
    1 MB · Views: 129

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
That would be extremely useful. All he has to do is charge $.99 for the flashlight app, sit back and watch his bank account grow.

Or make it free and sell the screen real estate as location aware locksmith advertising.

edit: and Cab bookings

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
I believe we were actually first with this idea on the iPhone 4. Already submitted to the App store last week, waiting on Apple for approval. We started on Jun 19th, tested for a couple days after the iPhone 4 launch, perfected multitasking related issues and submitted to the App Store for Approval.

Ours is priced at $.99 and is named Flashlight 4™ - (Waiting on App Store Approval).

Flashlight 4™ App Icon Artwork Copyright & Trademark i4software 2010. All Rights Reserved.

-michael

Is the TM really necessary in your icon (or at all for that matter)? wtf

i4software

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Is the TM really necessary in your icon (or at all for that matter)? wtf

Technically, Yes. Until a trademark registration has been granted ® by the USPTO, if someone believes they own the rights to a unique product name or logo/product artwork design, they should inform the public through the use of the ™ symbol similar to "patent pending". Legally, one only need to demonstrate first use but it is common courtesy to take the extra precautions.

-michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.