Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
I am new and I tried to make app for iPad.

I thought it is better to use IB for development, but it is said that better way is to use programming not IB, is it right?

McBgnr

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2009
Even I am interested in understanding the pros and cons of the two methods... Folks pls suggest.

TalShani

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
More detail, pls!
What are better to use IB, what are not?

About that man.. I dont think you can learn one of them
without learning the other..
Interface Builder is the tool that helps you design your app,
Programming is the tool that make your app works..
So just learn them both,
Goodluck :)

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for your advise, I am studying both:)

For example, I use Tab bar template to build a tab bar app, but a expert told me, use application-base template then create view in programming, he said that is better way, so I got confuse...

TalShani

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks for your advise, I am studying both:)

For example, I use Tab bar template to build a tab bar app, but a expert told me, use application-base template then create view in programming, he said that is better way, so I got confuse...

You mean like View-Base Application?
well, its up to you to decide.
I'm not an expert, but I'm sure knows how to save time.
If you know exactly how your program will look like,
I don't see why not use a template,
Think about it, template is just for you to save time,
You can build your own app just from view-based,
all the other templates is just for YOU to save time.
I don't think you should work just on View-Based,
You need to know other things, but its a good example,
View-Based is the easiest template (yes, its a template to.),
So I think you should work a bit on View-Based and than move forward.
If you need anything else I'm right here..
Goodluck :)

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Sorry I made miss, I mean Window-base template.

I want to make a tab bar app, and there is a Navigation View on every tab view, so I tried to use tab bar template, but it is said that is easy to do using programming base on window-base template, because tab bar template is not so good to insert more tab bar and insert navigation View into every tab, is it true?

bweberapps

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
If you are new to iPhone programming it will be easier to use the interface builder, but I prefer to do everything programmatically. It gives you a lot more control over the way the app will look. You can easily put in a tab bar and add a navigation view to one of the tab views. Then you can customize the views with non standard size cells in a table view, custom background pictures, and other customizations. I think it is easier to do these advanced features in code, but if you are looking for a simple standard user interface, it will definitely be quicker to use the interface builder.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
I recommend that you use IB where you can and use a programmatic UI where you must. Many things are easier and faster to develop with IB than with code. Some things must be done in code.

There is a significant number of iPhone developers that don't like IB, for reasons both good and bad. You shouldn't become one of them.

bweberapps

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
This is what I want to know, I am afraid that I have to give up restart when I am on the half way, can you tell me what must be done in code?

You won't have to start over. The IB objects have a link back to code and you should be able to manipulate them further with code.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Here and there there are a few properties of various views that can't be set in IB. You can almost always set them in the view controller's viewDidLoad method, or other places.

If you need to override methods in a UIKit view then you can only do that in code. But you can still create the views in IB.

Table view cells are a kind of nebulous area. Apple recommends that for performance reasons cells should be created in code for tables that are very large. I do it both ways. Apple's sample code is almost all code, although their docs do explain how to do it with IB.

You should start by learning and using IB. People who don't use IB think that generating a view hierarchy in code and with IB are done in the same manner. They're not. IB uses some technologies that are important for iPhone developers to understand but which aren't visible that much in most iPhone apps (KVO, KVC). By using IB you'll learn these, which is a good thing.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
...but it is said that is easy to do using programming base on window-base template, because tab bar template is not so good to insert more tab bar and insert navigation View into every tab, is it true?
It's true in my experience. The Tab-Bar Application Template is just, IMHO, a little too finicky and you are better off starting "fresh", as it were. But that does not mean that you shouldn't learn to use Interface Builder for other reasons, as others before me have already nicely explained.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.