PDA

View Full Version : full bars and 3g signal but not loading?

Pages : [1] 2

x-evil-x
Jun 29, 2010, 06:46 AM
ive been having this problem a lot since i got the phone. if im out especially in building where it shows good signal it take it forever to load data. text goes through fine but data takes forever. much slower than my 3gs why is this? is it my phone or are others getting this?

SpaceKitty
Jun 29, 2010, 06:48 AM
ive been having this problem a lot since i got the phone. if im out especially in building where it shows good signal it take it forever to load data. text goes through fine but data takes forever. much slower than my 3gs why is this? is it my phone or are others getting this?
I've been having this happen too with Safari.

x-evil-x
Jun 29, 2010, 06:49 AM
alot with the facebook app

..-.
Jun 29, 2010, 11:00 AM
Try going into settings and shutting off wifi when it does this. Seems to help for me when I'm in a place with weak open wifi that it doesn't necessarily connect with but yet seems to confuse the 3G. :confused:

Might be worth a shot.
Frank

S1njin
Jun 29, 2010, 11:05 AM
I've seen this with Facebook.

The Best Buy app loads, but upon searching it just hung there. I 'homed' out of the app, and than tried Engadget - it just crashed.

Rebooted phone, Engadget is fine. I'm not trying the Best Buy app - I think it needs a update or something.

dark1x
Jun 29, 2010, 02:35 PM
This has been happening to me with iPhone4 the last two days as well. Never encountered this on my 3GS. I'm not sure if it's the network or the phone.

At work, I have full signal strength, but sometimes the data simply won't load anything or do so very slowly.

I've found that this problem does seem to clear up in different areas away from this point, however, but I'm still concerned.

IlliniDude
Jun 29, 2010, 02:36 PM
I've had the same issue...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=954143

dark1x
Jun 29, 2010, 02:41 PM
Makes it seem like a service issue rather than a phone issue.

It just seems odd as I've never had issues at the office before. Now it's suddenly giving me major problems.

f00f
Jun 29, 2010, 02:43 PM
Assuming AT&T is the network -- well then, enough said. My 3G, albeit dated hardware, loads everything atrociously slow regardless of signal strength. At least two or three minutes to load pages like MR.

Andru1313
Jun 29, 2010, 02:47 PM
Having this issue alot past 2 days have been awful. My email is slow as well. Hope it's a network thing and it's ironed out SOON.

dark1x
Jun 29, 2010, 02:49 PM
Another thing to note...

If I disable 3G and use Edge, I can actually view internet pages and whatnot. It's obviously much slower than 3G should be, but it works. With 3G enabled, it just sits there spinning.

Has only been an issue the last two days.

B2fl3
Jun 29, 2010, 02:52 PM
Same issue with me. My 3G is slow or not there even though it shows 5 bars and 3G. It's getting annoying since I rely on being connected.

I also have to rely on edge or wifi. But I've put a piece of paper between the antenna and my case and 3G works.

mzt
Jun 29, 2010, 02:59 PM
SAME THING, Im so pissed about this ****, I have this on-top of the death-grip issue, on-top of proximity sensor problems now. Im gonna wait for an update, and if this does not get fixed, I will try replacing it. If it still does not matter, I am returning this fancy pos. :rolleyes:

hazeydavey
Jun 29, 2010, 03:14 PM
SAME THING, Im so pissed about this ****, I have this on-top of the death-grip issue, on-top of proximity sensor problems now. Im gonna wait for an update, and if this does not get fixed, I will try replacing it. If it still does not matter, I am returning this fancy pos. :rolleyes:

All....the....freaking...time. In NYC, I've been showing full bars, 3G all over, and half the time, page just stalls and stop loading.

When this happens, I have to restart the phone. And then all my email, messages, will quickly all hit when the phone restarts. Will work ok for a while, then seems to lock up again, and I have to restart again.

Last night, out to dinner...my iphone 4 and my v my girl's 3G. Both side by side, loading same sites.

Hers worked 100% of the time, always faster...mine stalled about 40% of the time.

I'm at a loss of words.

Funny thing? She insisted on updating today...and now she's complaining how bad her service is now at her office with similar issues.

Puzzled...we may return them both and wait til end of summer. Just way way way way too many issues with this phone as of now. (I too suffer from the death grip...bit of tape assisted there)

But too many bugs. Way more than my last one or my ipad...

Dave

sanPietro98
Jun 29, 2010, 03:15 PM
I'm running my iPad 3G right next to my iPhone 4 (not simultaneously). the iPad is WAY faster. I'd be surprised if this was the AT&T network, unless they have device-specific settings.

iPad: download 1221 Kbps
iPhone 4: 309 Kbps

5 bars on both devices.

Katin
Jun 29, 2010, 03:18 PM
I'm having the same issue. I'm located in King of Prussia, PA and i've been noticing every time I go into the office it doesn't work. I'll have Full 5 Bars but the data feed is not responding... I have an appointment with Apple today after work.

turbineseaplane
Add me on too.

Plus my streaming radio apps are skipping and stopping as I drive around town...all in places my 3GS never skipped a beat, ever.

Hopefully a software update cures all this.

hazeydavey
I'm running my iPad 3G right next to my iPhone 4 (not simultaneously). the iPad is WAY faster. I'd be surprised if this was the AT&T network, unless they have device-specific settings.

iPad: download 1221 Kbps
iPhone 4: 309 Kbps

5 bars on both devices.

How about this for a test?

Ipad wifi running via a Miwi on a jalibroken 3G (so it's on a 3G network tethered to the 3g)

v. my iphone 4.

Side by side.

Ipad wins by a mile:

iPad: Download: 1076 kbps
iphone: 286 kbps

Ohhhhh Steven?

random person
Jun 29, 2010, 03:23 PM
Mine does this too but mostly when I am holding it In My left hand. It's slow in general but drops to zero when held in the left hand.

It's all getting rather tiresome.

turbineseaplane
Jun 29, 2010, 03:25 PM
Mine does this too but mostly when I am holding it In My left hand. It's slow in general but drops to zero when held in the left hand.

Hell...mine drops and/or doesn't load when its sitting on my car seat next to me.

How Steve has the audacity to claim there is no issue is beyond me. It must simply be PR BS.

I'm using the 4 *exactly* the same way I used my 3GS around town and the 3GS is far more consistent and reliable.

Major bummer. Software update pllleeeasse....

hazeydavey
Jun 29, 2010, 03:26 PM

Not me...untouched, sitting on desk, table, on its side, by the window, under the table and dreaming...everywhere.

Going to call apple, and go thru all the hoops, knowing that there's got to be a fix coming.

angevil
Jun 29, 2010, 03:27 PM
You are holding it wrong. :apple:

turbineseaplane
Jun 29, 2010, 03:28 PM
You are holding it wrong. :apple:

I'm not even holding it...

jasondono
Jun 29, 2010, 03:30 PM
Add me on too.

Plus my streaming radio apps are skipping and stopping as I drive around town...all in places my 3GS never skipped a beat, ever.

Everything being talked about in this thread is happening to me here in Brooklyn. Very annoying.

Katin
Jun 29, 2010, 03:35 PM
Keep in MIND, this HAS NOTHING to do with holding your iPhone 4 the wrong way. Read the title of the original post "full bars and 3g signal but not loading?"

Laserick
Jun 29, 2010, 03:38 PM
Same problem for me...

To temporarily solve the problem I've decided to turn off the 3G and go with Edge. No problems with Edge, just a little bit slower than a typical 3G. To do this go to Settings < General < Network.

turbineseaplane
Jun 29, 2010, 03:41 PM
Same problem for me...

To temporarily solve the problem I've decided to turn off the 3G and go with Edge. No problems with Edge, just a little bit slower than a typical 3G. To do this go to Settings < General < Network.

Yes. Thank you Steve.

I'm loving my new iPhone 4 with revolutionary Edge connectivity.

Cubsfan
Jun 29, 2010, 03:42 PM
Exact same problem here. Very annoying.

hazeydavey
Jun 29, 2010, 03:44 PM
Same problem for me...

No problem! I'll be awaiting my rebate from AT&T then since i"m not getting what I'm paying for. ;-)

I actually did try it, and it was still causing it.

x-evil-x
Jun 29, 2010, 03:45 PM
glad im not the only one. its only in certain places though. its kind of annoying

mrFinder
Jun 29, 2010, 03:45 PM
same issue. i have my iPhone 4 and an iPhone 3GS side by side, both with a full 5 bars of 3G. i cleared the history, cookies, and cache on both. i fired up sarafi and tried loading a site such as nytimes.com. the 3GS starts loading it right away, and takes a total of 5-7 seconds to finish loading. the iPhone 4 on the other hand takes 10 seconds to even begin loading and then goes on to take a total of 45 seconds+ to load it. this has been happening for EVERY site about 90% of the time. it is ridiculous.

mzt
Jun 29, 2010, 03:46 PM
All....the....freaking...time. In NYC, I've been showing full bars, 3G all over, and half the time, page just stalls and stop loading.

When this happens, I have to restart the phone. And then all my email, messages, will quickly all hit when the phone restarts. Will work ok for a while, then seems to lock up again, and I have to restart again.

Last night, out to dinner...my iphone 4 and my v my girl's 3G. Both side by side, loading same sites.

Hers worked 100% of the time, always faster...mine stalled about 40% of the time.

I'm at a loss of words.

Funny thing? She insisted on updating today...and now she's complaining how bad her service is now at her office with similar issues.

Puzzled...we may return them both and wait til end of summer. Just way way way way too many issues with this phone as of now. (I too suffer from the death grip...bit of tape assisted there)

But too many bugs. Way more than my last one or my ipad...

Dave

You nailed it Dave - I work in NYC, same exact issues..... even with my phone reception, I have to reboot etc.

jasondono
Jun 29, 2010, 03:47 PM

I wonder if it has to do with all the new customers. Is the network being overwhelmed? I've always had poor data and phone despite having 5 bars of 3G here in Brooklyn Heights(mostly residential) but it's practically useless now.

jasondono
Jun 29, 2010, 03:50 PM
You nailed it Dave - I work in NYC, same exact issues..... even with my phone reception, I have to reboot etc.

Actually rebooting works for me too(at least temporarily) , which leads me to believe that it is an apple problem rather than a network problem. Confused and frustrated. Are the 3GS's starting to show this problem as well? I'm seriously considering going back.

Katin
Jun 29, 2010, 03:51 PM
Nope, 3GS are actually working. Two people in the office have them and are up and running. Trip to the Apple store :)

Nennilj
Jun 29, 2010, 03:51 PM
I'm glad this is becoming a popular issue and not just me...
Showing full bars and 3g signal my phone lags when streaming music, loading my mail or loading a page in the Facebook app.
just saying...

Motionblurrr
Jun 29, 2010, 04:09 PM
I thought I was the only one :(. Good to know there are other people aware of this.

I've had to go back to Edge because 3G would never load anything at all. It would just spin forever loading a page or ANYTHING that uses internet.

It's starting to really piss me off. The worst thing is--I have a perfect screen and I would go crazy if I return this one and get a yellow screen next.

The fact that this PHONE cannot make stable PHONE calls and connect to the internet just proves how pathetic this thing is. I love my iPhone 4's specs but it's performance sucks. I'm actually considering going back to my 3GS or getting an EVO 4G or something.

Something very wrong was happening when this phone was being designed, manufactured, released.

turbineseaplane
Jun 29, 2010, 04:13 PM
For anyone testing a 3GS against a 4...

Is the 3GS running iOS 4 or some version of 3.1?

Maybe iOS 4 is the problem and not the iP4 hardware?

mrFinder
Jun 29, 2010, 04:55 PM

in my tests the iPhone 3GS was running 3.1.3. i will update the 3GS to iOS 4 and report back.

turbineseaplane
Jun 29, 2010, 04:57 PM
in my tests the iPhone 3GS was running 3.1.3. i will update the 3GS to iOS 4 and report back.

Thank you for doing that.

I have a feeling that iOS 4 may be as much the problem as the iPhone 4 hardware.

hazeydavey
Jun 29, 2010, 05:12 PM

Which of course now makes me wonder on the iOS4...then again, based on that rumored leak re: the "reception" issue?

Who the F knows...

dark1x
Jun 29, 2010, 05:18 PM
I can at least report that the problem seems to be related to location. At work the last two days 3G has been terrible. As I pulled away from work I let pandora try to play. After 3 miles it kicked in and worked great all the way home. Now I'm visiting my parents and posting from my phone with fast 3G speeds again. Very strange. I work in Florence Kentucky and live in Cincinnati Ohio. No problem when I leave Florence.

richard371
Jun 29, 2010, 05:19 PM
Even in an area with 5 bars and a bumper on I get much faster throughput if I hold it in my right hand verses left. The bumper helps with the dropped call issue and i do not loose any bars but the data is much slower in the left hand .

Apple please make a version for us lefties.

turbineseaplane
Jun 29, 2010, 05:20 PM
In "uplifting news"...

My Edge connection is working wonderfully...

barefeats
Jun 29, 2010, 06:37 PM
I get this often with AT&T 3G in our city -- lotza bars, nothing happens.

It was so frustrating, I got the Sprint Overdrive 4G portable hotspot. Its more expense each month, but now I have an working alternative for the iPhones and iPads we like to take with us everywhere.

jasondono
Jun 29, 2010, 06:40 PM
I get this often wirh ATT 3G in our city -- lotza bars, nothing happens.

It was so frustrating, I got the Sprint Overdrive 4G portable hotspot. Its more expense each month, but now I have an working alternative for the iPhones and iPads we like to take with us everywhere.

I'm confused. How do you use a 4g hotspot with an iPhone or iPad?

fastblack
Jun 29, 2010, 06:52 PM
I took my phone to the apple store because of this. They replaced my phone. It worked for the weekend without problems. Now yesterday it started happening again. Went back to the apple store, they where going to replace it again, but the guy said maybe I should try ATT before they replace it. So I did.

I took it to the att store, and the replaced my sim and re provisioned my data as the apple store had said they should do. No luck. The ATT store had 2 iphone 4 demo's on display at the store. I tried it on them. SAME ISSUE. The att rep took out his personal 3gs, we tried it again. Mine didnt work, his loaded the page, every time. Tried it agian on the 2 demo's in the store. Once again, they didnt load, his 3gs did.

Something is up...

iHero
Jun 29, 2010, 07:05 PM
I'm in the UK on o2 and it happens to me.

It's the phone not the network. Typical.

Mugambo
Jun 29, 2010, 07:07 PM

May be you got the iOS 4.0.1 out of the box! :eek:

dark1x
Jun 29, 2010, 07:15 PM
I took my phone to the apple store because of this. They replaced my phone. It worked for the weekend without problems. Now yesterday it started happening again. Went back to the apple store, they where going to replace it again, but the guy said maybe I should try ATT before they replace it. So I did.

I took it to the att store, and the replaced my sim and re provisioned my data as the apple store had said they should do. No luck. The ATT store had 2 iphone 4 demo's on display at the store. I tried it on them. SAME ISSUE. The att rep took out his personal 3gs, we tried it again. Mine didnt work, his loaded the page, every time. Tried it agian on the 2 demo's in the store. Once again, they didnt load, his 3gs did.

Something is up...
Was his 3GS using os4?

Motionblurrr
Jun 29, 2010, 07:27 PM
UPDATE:. I poster earlier on Edge at work because my 3G would NOT load anything at all. I never had a problem with 3G at work with my 3GS....

Now I'm at home and 3G is working great and loading things fast.... What the hell is going on? And sometimes I've had it not load anything on full 3G bars at my house :confused:

jons
Jun 29, 2010, 07:33 PM
I'm not even holding it...

Aha! Exactly!

jons
Jun 29, 2010, 07:34 PM
UPDATE:. I poster earlier on Edge at work because my 3G would NOT load anything at all. I never had a problem with 3G at work with my 3GS....

Now I'm at home and 3G is working great and loading things fast.... What the hell is going on? And sometimes I've had it not load anything on full 3G bars at my house :confused:

I had this issue today for about an hour. It then magically started working...

This device really is magical!

TroyBoy30
Jun 29, 2010, 08:12 PM
Keep in MIND, this HAS NOTHING to do with holding your iPhone 4 the wrong way. Read the title of the original post "full bars and 3g signal but not loading?"

actually i think it is related. there are a ton of videos that show data transmission stopping when held the same way as you hold it for the reception issue. search you tube

jim2011
Jun 29, 2010, 08:15 PM
actually i think it is related. there are a ton of videos that show data transmission stopping when held the same way as you hold it for the reception issue. search you tube

While that might be true, other posters have mentioned and it happens to me too that even when not holding the phone at all, pages still don't load. It never happened to me on the iPhone, 3g, or 3gs. Something is up. Also, I keep a bumper on mine at all times.

petefza
Jun 29, 2010, 08:17 PM
I have the exact same problem. I am in New York City and have a 3GS with IOS 4 loaded. I have full bars and 3G, but everything loads very slow. My battery has also drained alot faster since the upgrade but that's a different story.

tigres
Jun 29, 2010, 08:17 PM
I had this identical problem with mine yesterday, and the day before. I even set up an appointment to see what the hell was going on. I had to cancel it, and the phone this morning starting getting 3G again like normal.

This I believe is an AT&T upgrade they are rolling out nationwide in their systems- no joke. I thought my phone was broken as I did a restore, set up as new because of poor battery performance, then this 3G reared it's ugly head.

It is now working as before. Call AT&T and ask if they have any updates, or towers out. FWIW

wake6830
Jun 29, 2010, 08:20 PM
I've had this problem from Day 1. It seems that certain spots in my apartment, the phone says it has full reception and 3G signal but if I pick it up (holding it the "right" way, of course) after a while and move to a different room, I'll get a flood of texts all at once, or a bunch of missed call notifications and emails - indicating that it clearly did not have reception. Or I'll pick it up and refresh my email and it will say could not connect to cell network or whatever.

Very frustrating.

mrFinder
Jun 29, 2010, 08:24 PM
I had this identical problem with mine yesterday, and the day before. I even set up an appointment to see what the hell was going on. I had to cancel it, and the phone this morning starting getting 3G again like normal.

This I believe is an AT&T upgrade they are rolling out nationwide in their systems- no joke. I thought my phone was broken as I did a restore, set up as new because of poor battery performance, then this 3G reared it's ugly head.

It is now working as before. Call AT&T and ask if they have any updates, or towers out. FWIW

If there were any updates of towers out, wouldn't it affect ALL 3G phones and not just the iPhone 4? Like I said earlier, I had the 3GS and iPhone 4 side by side, both with 5 full bars of 3G, and the 3GS was loading pages literally 10 times faster than the iPhone 4 (5 seconds to load nytimes on 3GS vs 50 seconds on iPhone 4). This was/ still is happening on ALL sites almost EVERY time.

Luminyx
Jun 29, 2010, 09:20 PM
Another thing to note...

If I disable 3G and use Edge, I can actually view internet pages and whatnot. It's obviously much slower than 3G should be, but it works. With 3G enabled, it just sits there spinning.

Has only been an issue the last two days.

Same thing here.

First off, this problem started Monday morning/afternoon. I work in a building (conveniently for AT&T) and 3G slowed to a total crawl or it just refused to load any apps that required internet. Wifi is disabled, and when I try disabling 3G and use Edge, it actually loads.

I called AT&T customer service and talked to the tech and she wasn't very helpful at all. They just suggested resetting my network settings, and restarting my phone.

Rooftop voter
Jun 29, 2010, 09:20 PM
Happening to me aswell. WTH is wrong with this damn phone? Did anyone even test this thing out, or were they just like, "oh ***** it, looks good to me!"? My phone has proximity problems, reception problems, and won't load pages when I DO have a supposed great signal. It's very frustrating watchingmy girlfriend plug away on 3G, while my brand new phone says "can not connect to server" or whatever. Unfortunatly I really don't have the option to return this phone so it looks like I'm just gonna have to deal and hope an update fixes this ****.

mnpackerfan
Jun 29, 2010, 09:22 PM
I was thinking I was really lucky to not have the death grip issue, but then my data speeds seemed really low yesterday, and wouldn't load some pages today. It didn't happen this weekend, but I was on wi-fi mostly. I downloaded the speedtest app, and sure enough with 5 bars of 3G, my speeds were awful. One test my upload speed was 0. I switched to Edge and while my speeds weren't great, which is to be expected, the speeds were all higher than my 3G tests.

I also want to point out I have a bumper case on, and half my tests were done without holding the phone at all. I really thought I had a perfect phone, boy was I wrong. I sure hope a software update can fix this.

GarrickD
Jun 29, 2010, 10:00 PM
I called apple a few days ago about this and the guy told me to reset my network settings take out my sim and put it back in, and well i haven't had the problem since maybe I am just lucky but it worked for me!

Dsr1205
Jun 29, 2010, 10:01 PM
have you tried the magically and revolutionary bumper?

atticus570
Jun 29, 2010, 10:02 PM
so im guessing since most people had no problem untill 2 days ago it might be something on at&t's part i think they were upgrading thier 3g network to support something like hspa or something like that. I think iread something about it being something that the iphone4 supports and maybe thats why its going slow for some reason

fastblack
Jun 29, 2010, 10:13 PM
Was his 3GS using os4?

Yep. My girlfriend also has a 3GS on ios 4 and hear works perfect next to mine

vincenz
Jun 29, 2010, 11:01 PM
Want to chime in here and say that this is happening to me too out in Queens, NYC. 3G has been spotty since late last week, inconsistent over the weekend, and the past couple days, it's been almost unusable. I get full 5 bars, but loading pages is a 50/50 toss-up most of the time. If it does load, it takes at least 30-45 seconds per page. Really, really frustrating.

I think it's the combination of AT&T updating their towers and the actual iPhone 4 itself. Nothing we can do but wait until Apple and co. work out the kinks...

If not, a million iPhones are going to be returned. :eek:

einmusiker
Jun 29, 2010, 11:06 PM
it has something to do with 3g on att. I've noticed switching to edge gets me faster data at times/ Perhaps all the new iphones in the wild? att clearly can't handle what should have been verizon's phone from the start.

invisible777
Jun 29, 2010, 11:18 PM
Want to chime in here and say that this is happening to me too out in Queens, NYC. 3G has been spotty since late last week, inconsistent over the weekend, and the past couple days, it's been almost unusable. I get full 5 bars, but loading pages is a 50/50 toss-up most of the time. If it does load, it takes at least 30-45 seconds per page. Really, really frustrating.

I think it's the combination of AT&T updating their towers and the actual iPhone 4 itself. Nothing we can do but wait until Apple and co. work out the kinks...

If not, a million iPhones are going to be returned. :eek:

I'm in Long Island. Same spotty issues as you. My iphone 3G was always fine throughout LI, Queens, Brooklyn, NYC, NJ, CT...

vincenz
Jun 29, 2010, 11:19 PM
it has something to do with 3g on att. I've noticed switching to edge gets me faster data at times/ Perhaps all the new iphones in the wild? att clearly can't handle what should have been verizon's phone from the start.

It might not be the network at all either. I've heard stories of people testing next to 3Gs iphones and those are doing fine. My brother is getting a Nexus One tomorrow, so I will test AT&T 3G connectivity next to his. Just hoping for a fix in the foreseeable future.

PUCCY
Jun 29, 2010, 11:21 PM
I've been having similar issue trying to load my emails.

sanPietro98
Jun 30, 2010, 06:57 AM
I'm really starting to think that this is an AT&T network issue and not an iPhone 4 issue. At least for me, the iPhone 4 worked great until late Monday. Then data transmission using 3G was problematic. But it appears that this was the same situation for a lot of folks by reading this thread. As of this morning, my iPhone 4 is working fine, just like it did on the day I received it.

I cannot believe that the radio/modem's mean time to failure was just 4 days for a large swath of people. I'm guessing that since the iPhone 4 has the new high speed radio/modem, AT&T was messing around with their network, possibly affecting only those devices with the newer radio. This could explain why the 3GSs weren't affected.

Obviously, (let the flames begin) this is pure speculation. But I find it hard to believe the phone's data transmission worked well from Thursday to Monday for a large group of people, then went bad for a large group of people. That seems strange.

mashinhead
Jun 30, 2010, 07:26 AM
Funny I just posted this exact same issue in another thread just a couple minutes ago. Add me on, this is ridiculous. I even consciously hold the phone to avoid the signal loss issue when this happens and I get no response.

This needs front page attention and a gizmodo article.

Evgenyy
Jun 30, 2010, 07:27 AM
I am having the same issue. Full bars and 3g icon but nothing works (Safari, email, Foursquare, Facebook).

I also have the issue (which I think is linked to this) of iP4 dropping data connection during the call - see here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=956138

My battery life is very poor due to this as I think it keeps dropping 3g and then looking for it constantly.

I have a bumper case so it's not linked to the antenna issue.

My girlfriends iP4 is perfect and doesn't do that when both phones are side by side. Also my facetime calls to her fail most of the time but she gets through no matter what.

I've done everything from resetting network settings to changing sim cards.

I am on Vodafone in the UK if that helps.

Genius appointment tomorrow...

fastblack
Jun 30, 2010, 10:55 AM
Well, the Apple store has ordered me a replacement phone, they didnt have any in stock. I hope it is just the phone, and the new one will be good.

Cubsfan
Jun 30, 2010, 11:05 AM
So when people are having problems with 3G data, are you also having voice problems? Last night talking to my girlfriend, my call dropped, about 6 times before she refused to talk to me on the phone anymore. I've been having the 3G data problems too, though everything seems to work much better on Edge.

fastblack
Jun 30, 2010, 11:12 AM
Voice works fine for me, texting too, but not mms.
Its really bad right now, I've been trying to load any webpage for the last 30 minutes... hasnt even started loading. Took my sim out, put it back in, reset network settings... Nothing is fixing it.

Pinksteady
Jun 30, 2010, 11:17 AM
I am having the same issue. Full bars and 3g icon but nothing works (Safari, email, Foursquare, Facebook).

I also have the issue (which I think is linked to this) of iP4 dropping data connection during the call - see here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=956138

My battery life is very poor due to this as I think it keeps dropping 3g and then looking for it constantly.

I have a bumper case so it's not linked to the antenna issue.

My girlfriends iP4 is perfect and doesn't do that when both phones are side by side. Also my facetime calls to her fail most of the time but she gets through no matter what.

I've done everything from resetting network settings to changing sim cards.

I am on Vodafone in the UK if that helps.

Genius appointment tomorrow...

I'm also on Vodafone in the UK and my connection is all over the place. It will say full 5 3G bars yet won't be able to download, or will take a minute before it starts loading. Sometimes it works instantly, other times it just won't load anything, but the bars remain full.

I'd be very interested to hear what the Apple engineers tell you, in case I too need to book an appointment.

Cheers

rockstarjoe
Jun 30, 2010, 11:19 AM
I've had this problem a few times now too in DC. Restarting the phone seems to clear it up though. Not sure if that is because of a problem with the phone or if it is connecting to a stronger / different tower.

Evgenyy
Jun 30, 2010, 11:24 AM
I will let you know tomorrow evening. Do you also get 3g dropped during the call? Call your voicemail and see if 3g is dropped after about 10 seconds.

I'm also on Vodafone in the UK and my connection is all over the place. It will say full 5 3G bars yet won't be able to download, or will take a minute before it starts loading. Sometimes it works instantly, other times it just won't load anything, but the bars remain full.

I'd be very interested to hear what the Apple engineers tell you, in case I too need to book an appointment.

Cheers

fastblack
Jun 30, 2010, 04:15 PM
I went to a different AT&T Store today at lunch time. Once again, iphone 4 on display did the same thing my phone does, just sits there hanging once taken off wifi. The 3gs next to it was on 3.1.3, worked fine no problem. The rep there took out his 3gs that is on 4.0 and it works fine also. My girlfriends 3gs on 4.0 also works no issues.

This is begining to look like another widespread issue to me, except that im guessing most people get to use wifi most of the time, so they dont notice their 3g isnt working like it should.

turbineseaplane
Jun 30, 2010, 04:20 PM
I went to a different AT&T Store today at lunch time. Once again, iphone 4 on display did the same thing my phone does, just sits there hanging once taken off wifi. The 3gs next to it was on 3.1.3, worked fine no problem. The rep there took out his 3gs that is on 4.0 and it works fine also. My girlfriends 3gs on 4.0 also works no issues.

This is begining to look like another widespread issue to me, except that im guessing most people get to use wifi most of the time, so they dont notice their 3g isnt working like it should.

Bingo.

That said, I'm really enjoying using my iPod Touch 4. Who needs cell connectivity anyways, right?

muu
Jun 30, 2010, 04:42 PM
Having same issues. I'm not even in a busy area so traffic shouldn't be the reason this is happening, either. At least we have Edge, I guess. That works just fine...

EstrlM3
Jun 30, 2010, 04:44 PM
this happens when you touch the bottom left corner, let the page load halfway then touch the corner the page wont finish loading until you let go of the corner.

fastblack
Jun 30, 2010, 04:45 PM
It has nothing to do with the bottom left corner issue. This happens if its on my desk, or delicately holding it with 2 fingers.

Macjames
Jun 30, 2010, 04:46 PM

I'm in exactly the situation as you, I went about 4 hours without data access this afternoon and it drove me nuts, also reminding me how much i use the damn thing!

RonHC
Jun 30, 2010, 04:51 PM
http://9to5mac.com/files/iphone.jpeg

michael31986
Jun 30, 2010, 05:00 PM
its happeneing to me too, but its random cause today in the morning it was fast then it slowed down

The Wedge
Jun 30, 2010, 05:03 PM
Makes it seem like a service issue rather than a phone issue.

It just seems odd as I've never had issues at the office before. Now it's suddenly giving me major problems.

Then why would it be a service issue?

viper3885
Jun 30, 2010, 05:19 PM
I think it may be an iOS 4 issue. I say this because before I got the iPhone 4, I updated my 3GS to iOS 4 and it also seemed to randomly do this. Now today I was talking to my friend who has a 3G that recently updated to iOS 4 and also seems to randomly get this issue.

fastblack
Jun 30, 2010, 05:22 PM
Every 3gs i've seen updated to 4.0 has been fine.

I created a poll here explaining the problem to see how many people are having this.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=956636

DMod
Jun 30, 2010, 05:22 PM
I'm having the same issue. I'm located in King of Prussia, PA and i've been noticing every time I go into the office it doesn't work. I'll have Full 5 Bars but the data feed is not responding... I have an appointment with Apple today after work.

Can you let me know how this turns out? I live in King of Prussia and work in Malvern. I have the EXACT same issues.

5 bars, nothing loads.

turtlehead
Jun 30, 2010, 05:44 PM
Well I noticed today that my 3g was doing the same thing that everyone else is complaining about.

But today I had 1 bar on my iPhone 4 and I checked my gf xenon phone (she is on my plane) and she had 2 bars so I am pretty sure it is at&t.

Also since yesterday I have been having call problems. Hopefully a software update will be out SOON and it is something that is just conflicting with one another.

turtlehead
Jun 30, 2010, 06:34 PM
Well I noticed today that my 3g was doing the same thing that everyone else is complaining about.

But today I had 1 bar on my iPhone 4 and I checked my gf xenon phone (she is on my plane) and she had 2 bars so I am pretty sure it is at&t.

Also since yesterday I have been having call problems. Hopefully a software update will be out SOON and it is something that is just conflicting with one another.

Well I just got back from going for a little ride. Since I wasn't driving I was able to mess with the iPhone in multiple places. In wide open places the 3g is as fast as wifi but other places it was VERY spotty, BUT also with a lot of those places there wifi connections that popped up, SO my whole software conflict theory maybe right but who really knows till an update comes out.

Hope this can kinda help.

Steviejobz
Jun 30, 2010, 06:44 PM
Not an AT&T issue. I have been getting this issue occasionally. Nothing to do with left hand corner either.

It gets fixed when phone is rebooted. Not sure if iOS4 issue or iPhone 4 issue.

Either way its annoying.

fastblack
Jun 30, 2010, 06:47 PM
Wish mine worked after rebooting the phone. I havnt been able to use 3g at all today. I've resorted to edge. Its pretty terrible that my iphone 3g was better at surfing then this

zizo79
Jun 30, 2010, 07:00 PM
I just wanted to add that I am having the same issue as well as I was out today. Facebook and Safari have been acting up all day and it is getting really frustrating. We pay top buck to get a good piece of hardware on top of paying AT&T a lot of money, I think that we all deserve to get good service??
As much as I love it, Am I the only one who is thinking about returning their iPhone ? My wife has my 3GS with iOS 4 and it is running faster...

michael31986
Jun 30, 2010, 07:06 PM
I called AT&T and asked why my 3G is slow and not working at times. I asked her to check if any towers are down she said three are down. One will be fixed by 740 and another 840. And the third will be fixed tm this could explain why 3G speeds are slow in nj

turtlehead
Jun 30, 2010, 07:22 PM
I called AT&T and asked why my 3G is slow and not working at times. I asked her to check if any towers are down she said three are down. One will be fixed by 740 and another 840. And the third will be fixed tm this could explain why 3G speeds are slow in nj

nj? i'm in wv :confused:

i just called at&t also and they said it's a national outage.

mrFinder
Jun 30, 2010, 07:22 PM

Not trying to sound like a negative ned, but this doesn't explain much. Once again, I had an iPhone 3GS right next to my iPhone 4. Both had 5 full bars of 3G. iPhone 3GS loaded pages in normal time, while the iPhone 4 struggled, taking more than a minute, if it even loaded at all. If it's a network issue, it should be affecting ALL phones, not just the iPhone 4. What's interesting is that at late night, around 1-2AM, I get VERY FAST speeds consistently. But once I wake up, after 8-9AM, the speed drops if it even works at all.

Any by the way, from the looks of it, it seems that 100% of the people in this thread are experiencing this problem. Not a single person has said that their iPhone 4 is giving them "normal" speeds at all times. Just an interesting fact, I thought.

Side note: where in NJ are you located? I live in Central Jersey near Rutgers and I've been experiencing this problem for the past few days.

Andru1313
Jun 30, 2010, 07:28 PM
I am having this issue. I am outside of Philadelphia but work in philly so I have this issue in and out of the city. And it has been getting worse. I went today for a few hours with no data at all. I rebooted my phone 4 times reset my network connections put it in and out of airplane mode nothing worked. Really annoying since I use my phone for work and email for me is important.

spartanrob
Jun 30, 2010, 07:29 PM
Yep, same here in SE Michigan. Spent time on the phone with both ATT and Apple. Mine comes and goes from either Really Fast or almost nothing. ATT did tell me there are some 'degraded towers' in my area that are being fixed. She didn't have an answer when i told her that my wife's 3gs (3.1.3) that was sitting right next to me had no issues.

sharpycl
Jun 30, 2010, 07:38 PM
I called AT&T earlier and they didn't know what was wrong. The most we could figure out was maybe my sim card was faulty. I have a 3GS and have had it since april. Worked fine until today. Works fine for me on EDGE but ofcourse everything is slow. I'll leave 3G off till tomorrow then try again in the morning.

This has been happening to me all day. Just thought i'd throw my case in the thread.

turtlehead
Jun 30, 2010, 07:42 PM
so, so far i have seen different things at&t has said to people who have called. the lady i spoke with said it was a nationwide problem.

like i said in my post, it started yesterday for me and my gf who is on my plane has a lg phone. i had 1 bar and she had 2.

never had a problem with at&t till now, and i have been with them for 9 years.

fastblack
Jun 30, 2010, 07:51 PM
If it's an outage why is it working on a 3GS and other phones

turtlehead
Jun 30, 2010, 07:54 PM
If it's an outage why is it working on a 3GS and other phones

i have no clue...but like i said, 2 different phones side buy side with 1 to 2 bars tells me at least a little something.

who knows...no real answers for anything really till we see a software update then go from there.

atticus570
Jun 30, 2010, 08:20 PM
Guys i think it is a network why else would it work in the late night and morning but then go through a dry spell in the afternoon evening. Everyones got a remember the iPhone 4 connects to the the towers in s different way then the 3GS and other phones do so they might be doing maintenance to that feature which is iPhone4 specific.

fastblack
Jun 30, 2010, 08:28 PM
Now that I think about it. Last night pretty late I tried a couple speed tests and was getting near 5mbps

3GS was getting around 3

zizo79
Jun 30, 2010, 08:29 PM
Here is a summary of all my tests. I also just contacted AT&T via FB and was told that there are no issues with the network in my area.

mrFinder
Jun 30, 2010, 08:36 PM
this is ********.

Riley2323
Jun 30, 2010, 08:37 PM
I have a similar thread at HoFo. I went to the Apple Store and was told all the reception issues are tied to an 11th hour switch to the micro sim.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1656477-Micro-Sim-Causing-the-Antenna-Issues-According-to-Apple-Store.

fastblack
Jun 30, 2010, 08:38 PM
Here is a summary of all my tests. I also just contacted AT&T via FB and was told that there are no issues with the network in my area.

Looks really similar to mine in Arizona.

Riley2323
Jun 30, 2010, 08:39 PM

This is exactly what my tests look like! Uncanny!
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1656477-Micro-Sim-Causing-the-Antenna-Issues-According-to-Apple-Store.

loskickking23
Jun 30, 2010, 08:49 PM
Something has to happen fast.... I'm thinkin of returning the phone! Data and signal... The 2 most important things in a phone to me

mrFinder
Jun 30, 2010, 08:53 PM
Something has to happen fast.... I'm thinkin of returning the phone! Data and signal... The 2 most important things in a phone to me

yes seriously. would you guys consider the iphone 4 to be a flop because of all these issues?

Riley2323
Jun 30, 2010, 08:56 PM
yes seriously. would you guys consider the iphone 4 to be a flop because of all these issues?

I am still pretty impressed with it. It sounds to me like they have the issue and solution pegged. I think the roll-out might be considered a flop. If the software or firmware addresses the issue, which it sounds like it will IMHO. This will just be a minor speed bump on the way towards Orwellian world domination.

michael31986
Jun 30, 2010, 08:58 PM
Not trying to sound like a negative ned, but this doesn't explain much. Once again, I had an iPhone 3GS right next to my iPhone 4. Both had 5 full bars of 3G. iPhone 3GS loaded pages in normal time, while the iPhone 4 struggled, taking more than a minute, if it even loaded at all. If it's a network issue, it should be affecting ALL phones, not just the iPhone 4. What's interesting is that at late night, around 1-2AM, I get VERY FAST speeds consistently. But once I wake up, after 8-9AM, the speed drops if it even works at all.

Any by the way, from the looks of it, it seems that 100% of the people in this thread are experiencing this problem. Not a single person has said that their iPhone 4 is giving them "normal" speeds at all times. Just an interesting fact, I thought.

Side note: where in NJ are you located? I live in Central Jersey near Rutgers and I've been experiencing this problem for the past few days.

same im near rutgers as well! more near jersey city.

silroc
Jun 30, 2010, 09:00 PM
Add me on too.

YUP

my ESPN radio works like 30% of the time on the first try

always gotta ****** with it and turn wifi or/ on, phone off/on

tozfeekum
Jun 30, 2010, 09:01 PM
I have this same issue, i'm glad it's not just me. I can't wait for this **** to be fixed. This iphone has been a complete disaster.

cfairbank
Jun 30, 2010, 09:05 PM
Been having the same issue. Initially my speed were pretty good but the past day and half they have really slowed down. Did a test earlier and my download was 0.2mbps and upload dropped. Did another and got 0.48 mbps download and .04 upload. I live in KC and have been getting around 2.5 mbps down and 1.6 up. Called ATT and they said my area was fine. Suggested we reprovision the phone which had no success. Transferred me to tech and they suggest doing a network settings reset which I had already had done with no avail. Next suggested I contact apple tech or go to store.

Called apple tech and she seemed genuine in wanting to help and sympathetic to my plea. She talked with a supervisor and she suggested I toggle airplane mode a few times and if that did not work to do a restore. To my surprise, the airport toggle seemed to give my speed a little boost. She said if I continue having issues that they would replace the phone.

Went ahead and mentioned all the discussions on the forum and that it might be due to the micro sim. She indicated that it very well could be and that I could go to ATT and pick up a new sim. My try to do so tomorrow.

For the time being asking folks to try and toggle the airport function and see what kind of results you get.

zizo79
Jun 30, 2010, 09:15 PM
So what do you guys think ?? I am thinking that it is the iPhone 4 and not the network. I just ran speedtest on my wife's 3GS and it is showing normal speeds. WTF ?????? is apple mysteriously messing with our antennas ?

smash1031
Jun 30, 2010, 09:49 PM
My 3G speeds have been +3 megs since launch. Today has been abysmal. Voice and texts have been great but data has been fubar since about 10 AM today. I'm in the Bronx and Yonkers NY. WTF AT&T? It's like they've never done this before.

zizo79
Jun 30, 2010, 10:00 PM
Well if you Safari doesn't load even with full bars and I can only use my iPhone on wifi.. What good is going to be when I will really need to make a call ? I am going to wait until tomorrow and see what happens.

zizo79
Jun 30, 2010, 10:02 PM
My 3G speeds have been +3 megs since launch. Today has been abysmal. Voice and texts have been great but data has been fubar since about 10 AM today. I'm in the Bronx and Yonkers NY. WTF AT&T? It's like they've never done this before.

If it is AT&T, why would my wife's 3GS show normal speeds ? I am confused

hotsauce
Jun 30, 2010, 10:05 PM
I got the same issue. When it gets stuck, I touch stop then refresh and it loads. What a mess.

mbsaeger
Jun 30, 2010, 10:06 PM
Steve snuck into AT&T HQ and cut off the towers to distract us from the antenna issue...

zizo79
Jun 30, 2010, 10:09 PM
Steve snuck into AT&T HQ and cut off the towers to distract us from the antenna issue...
Who knows, they might be running tests on iPhone 4 antennas?? The 3GSs are working ..

Y2JDMBFAN
Jun 30, 2010, 10:13 PM
This doesn't happen with my HTC Desire or Nexus One...only the iPhone 4....just sits there with full bars and the spinning arrows until I reboot phone or go open safari multiple times and it finally will work...

Y2J

smash1031
Jun 30, 2010, 10:49 PM
If it is AT&T, why would my wife's 3GS show normal speeds ? I am confused

I'm not an engineer so I can't answer your question. But allow me to speculate The 3GS and the i4 use different sim cards, so it's possible that at&t made some sort of change on their frequency and it's only affecting i4 users. Having said that I find it strange that after 6 days of excellent speeds, multiple users are having the exact same problem. Whatever it is I just hope by tomorrow it's fixed.

zizo79
Jun 30, 2010, 11:41 PM
I'm not an engineer so I can't answer your question. But allow me to speculate The 3GS and the i4 use different sim cards, so it's possible that at&t made some sort of change on their frequency and it's only affecting i4 users. Having said that I find it strange that after 6 days of excellent speeds, multiple users are having the exact same problem. Whatever it is I just hope by tomorrow it's fixed.
I was actually thinking that it might get fixed tomorrow as well.

vincenz
Jul 1, 2010, 12:02 AM
All I know is that I have until the end of July to return it, so I will wait patiently until then to make a decision. Hopefully they can get their act together by then...

fastblack
Jul 1, 2010, 12:12 AM
Took a couple videos excuse the cartoons int he background and my terrible video taking skills with my old sd300

Safari
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mv3ahByTg8

Speedtest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytLPC0ZCsGk

jazzyvandal
Jul 1, 2010, 12:14 AM
same thing here. I've hard reset the phone, taken the sim card out, reset settings...No go. I have full bars on 3g and data transmission is terrible. I have no choice but to use edge. Edge works fine and I don't drop calls :/

OneHit89
Jul 1, 2010, 12:31 AM
So this problem just started happening? It happens to me when I head to Camden right across the river from Philly for my night class which just started this Monday. My 3G however works fine at my house.

reservedegotist
Jul 1, 2010, 12:38 AM
Chicago, IL resident here, and also reporting the same horrible performance with 3G (But I am getting good signal for voice/text). Luckily I have Wi-fi so it's not a real big deal but it is a very annoying issue. Is there some sort of frequency mismatch w/ the network or sim card issue?

J the Ninja
Jul 1, 2010, 01:59 AM
3G was complete garbage for me these last two days (got mine Tue at the AT&T store), at least during regular daytime. I just tried it after work though, around 11:15, and 3G was flawless. My guess is, something about the iPhone 4 is different (isn't it the first iPhone to support 7.2mbps 3G?), and uses a different backend. This backend was promptly leveled in every single city during peak hours.

vescaegg
Jul 1, 2010, 02:32 AM
wow im glad i found this thread and discovered its not just me!

im on o2 in london and this happens at seemingly random times. The 3g just stops loading things for periods of time and then after a while its almost like it actually turns on and works. This is with full signal in the centre of london where there is brilliant 3g service.

Its so annoying because when the 3g does work its amazingly fast!

iHalo
Jul 1, 2010, 02:54 AM
Same problem in Scottsdale, Arizona... Hope it is fixed soon

Macjames
Jul 1, 2010, 06:30 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I found that for Vodafone UK customers changing your cellular data username and password from wap to web stops the random disconnections for a while, anyway.

Katin
Jul 1, 2010, 06:37 AM
I actually posted this issue yesterday on MacRumors and someone posted this link.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1656477-Micro-Sim-Causing-the-Antenna-Issues-According-to-Apple-Store

It's very/highly possible it has something to do with the MicroSim Card.

michael31986
Jul 1, 2010, 06:52 AM
I honestly think a firmware fix will fix this. No other reason would explain why it sometimes works and other times doesn't.

Evgenyy
Jul 1, 2010, 07:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I found that for Vodafone UK customers changing your cellular data username and password from wap to web stops the random disconnections for a while, anyway.

I've done that too but my speed has gone down for some reason.

For those who want to try here are the settings:

APN: internet
User: web
Password: web

kwyn
Jul 1, 2010, 07:15 AM
I've been having this issue (off and on) since Friday (the day after I got my iPhone 4)

cfairbank
Jul 1, 2010, 08:25 AM
Not sure about others but my speeds are much better this morning. Anyone else?

Katin
Jul 1, 2010, 08:33 AM

Agreed! This morning seems to be working just fine. Pages are able to load smoothly. (Crossing my fingers)

spartanrob
Jul 1, 2010, 08:34 AM

Yes, better and more consistent (i'm in Michigan, not sure if location matters)

nooaah
Jul 1, 2010, 08:34 AM
Started happening to me after leaving the airport yesterday driving around South Philadelphia. Service was fine all day in Cleveland, though.

One of Apple's reps did tell me (and I posted this) that AT&T was going to be rolling outtages soon. Maybe this is what he was talking about. Perhaps there's a mass tower upgrade going on.

Andru1313
Jul 1, 2010, 08:38 AM
Agreed. My speeds are better this morning as well. Hmmmm

Katin
Jul 1, 2010, 08:43 AM
Yay!!!! I'm glad this was only a temporary thing. iPhone 4 ROCKS!:apple:

Bigworm36
Jul 1, 2010, 08:44 AM
Same problem here in Tucson, AZ. I thought it was just me. This has been an on and off problem. Really annoying! Will not load facebook, email and etc.

oneteam
Jul 1, 2010, 08:50 AM
For me, data is not any better but at least is stable now. For the past couple of days, Iíve been getting very inconsistent or nonexistent data connection; Sppeedtest.net was showing from 2.9Mbps to .02Mbps in the same test. This morning, Iím getting more steady data .60 -.80Mbps. I really hope this is a sign that AT&T is working on its network.

michael31986
Jul 1, 2010, 08:51 AM
It was working awesome this morning then went slow again. I think it's AT&T. Seems everytime a new iPhone comes out their network suffers a bit n

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 09:07 AM
Started happening to me after leaving the airport yesterday driving around South Philadelphia. Service was fine all day in Cleveland, though.

One of Apple's reps did tell me (and I posted this) that AT&T was going to be rolling outtages soon. Maybe this is what he was talking about. Perhaps there's a mass tower upgrade going on.

This is exactly what they told me last week when I started having major issues. I was getting no connection yet had full service signal.

When I phoned AT&T (and I posted this some time ago- even emailed arn about it) this is basically what transpired.

I told the rep I was getting no 3G service on my phone, spotty at best yet my signals were strong and my bars were full. I kindly asked him to see if a tower was down in my area, or if they were having problems in MI. He looked into the issue for me and his words Verbatim were : "Wow, oh, never seen this before" I asked of course what: he went to describe that the systems were indicating the the entire nation (Including Hawaii and Alaska) were experiencing issues.

He further went on to explain from the notes, that AT&T was doing some massive update due to the iP4 release, and they appear to have been behind with the update in correspondence to the release. He said to give it a day or so and report back.

I am continuing to have service (data) outages in my area, but it is working more now than it has been the last week or so. I cannot test my 3GS because I handed that down to my son who is on T-mobile; so I cannot speculate as to the service with the other iPhone's on the network.

Furthermore, I have no idea if this is phone related, service related, sim related, or a combination of all. I can say that I have not had the antenna issues others are experiencing. If I were to guess, it's the sim along with the transmission issues with the AT&T network.

Be that as it may, whatever the cause- it's pretty surprising (or not) that the only US carrier once again can't get it's act together on/before/after such a major product launch. Gotta believe this must have been a priority, yet here we are again, fixing it after the fact.

Katin
Jul 1, 2010, 09:11 AM
Yep, nevermind... It's not working now... It's slow again...

fastblack
Jul 1, 2010, 10:13 AM
Yep, broken again, it was working last night. Its odd that it would seem like a network problem, but then the same time my iPhone 4 is not working, my girlfriends 3gs works flawlessly

inviktus
Jul 1, 2010, 10:18 AM
Mine has been doing this on and off for almost a week now, and it has gotten really bad in the last couple of days. I was willing to live with the deathgrip issue and the proximity sensor issue because the phone otherwise is fantastic. But unreliable data is a deal-breaker. If it doesn't get better in the next day or so, I'm going to have to take the phone back. I'll re-buy it when it's fully sorted out.

-vik

purpleclad
Jul 1, 2010, 10:31 AM
This is total crap, I can't load anything this morning. My email for example will give me the push arrival tone, but when I try to open it, nothing, the status indicator just spins in a circle.

Riley2323
Jul 1, 2010, 10:40 AM
My 100% sign that there is something wrong is that Pandora craps out. I am at my desk and my 3GS would play Pandora all day. Now I am lucky to get 10 seconds straight and then it just hangs. Same exact spot on my desk....in a Bose sound dock.

I am convinced the antenna issues are not the root cause, but only an easy graphical reference for the average user to point to....the antenna issues are just a symptom of a firmware flaw that should get fixed with an update.

buddyc.22
Jul 1, 2010, 10:51 AM
I'm currently visiting down in Gulfport, MS and 3G is working fine with my new iPhone 4. I just did a network speed test on my iPhone and it reported 2.18 MB/s download and 1.27 Mb/s upload - quite decent. Web pages are loading nicely.

The issues the rest of you are reporting seem to be regional. It doesn't appear to be an issue with the iPhone 4 itself but rather with the network, probably where many people possess the iPhone 4. It seems AT&T was not prepared for the advent of the iPhone 4.

S1njin
Jul 1, 2010, 10:52 AM
This is total crap, I can't load anything this morning. My email for example will give me the push arrival tone, but when I try to open it, nothing, the status indicator just spins in a circle.

I'm getting this too. My data on this now sucks.

RoughRider
Had similar problems in Seattle area (slow data loading; dropped calls with full coverage, etc.). I took it into Apple Store and got a replacement (even though their diagnostics showed only 1 dropped call; I had at least 5 that day alone). Doesn't seem to have this problem now (also added a bumper to new phone).

jlmitnick
I was actually having this problem on my 3gs all morning. Speedtest was giving me like 30 kbits/s.

But then I took out the sim, blew some compressed air in there to clean out the compartment, and put the sim back in, and I'm back up to normal 3g speeds.

So, I may be having a different problem from you all with the iphone 4's, but you could try popping the sim out and back in.

zizo79
Jul 1, 2010, 10:54 AM
I was actually having this problem on my 3gs all morning. Speedtest was giving me like 30 kbits/s.

But then I took out the sim, blew some compressed air in there to clean out the compartment, and put the sim back in, and I'm back up to normal 3g speeds.

So, I may be having a different problem from you all with the iphone 4's, but you could try popping the sim out and back in.

Done that ...the first speed test was good and then it went down.

smash1031
Jul 1, 2010, 10:55 AM
I'm currently visiting down in Gulfport, MS and 3G is working fine with my new iPhone 4. I just did a network speed test on my iPhone and it reported 2.18 MB/s download and 1.27 Mb/s upload - quite decent. Web pages are loading nicely.

The issues the rest of you are reporting seem to be regional. It doesn't appear to be an issue with the iPhone 4 itself but rather with the network, probably where many people possess the iPhone 4. It seems AT&T was not prepared for the advent of the iPhone 4.

Right, because this is the first ever iPhone launch for At&t.

jlmitnick
Jul 1, 2010, 10:56 AM
Done that ...the first speed test was good and then it went down.

Yeah...it's slower on a subsequent speedtest for me too. Also, looking the history of my speed tests it's waaaay slower. Couple months ago I have 3g tests where I'm downloading at 2500 kbits...I'm getting like 600 now... at least it's more than the 30 I was getting before I popped the sim out and in.

S1njin
Jul 1, 2010, 10:58 AM
Next time I get a new iPhone, i will definitly be waiting a good month or two before I buy it ...

technopimp
Jul 1, 2010, 11:29 AM
I am having this issue now...I have 5 bars, 3G, and cannot get data. Keeps saying "could not activate cellular data network". I've restarted, turned airplane mode on/off, 3G on/off, cellular data on/off, restored as new, nothing helps. Removed/replaced SIM, nothing. I can't even freaking call AT&T FROM my phone because it'll either drop the call, or my face will cause menu options to be pushed.

I've had it. I ordered from Apple online. How do I return it? Do I have to go to an Apple store, or can I do it over the phone?

KidStallyn
Jul 1, 2010, 12:11 PM
Same problem here in Tucson, AZ. I thought it was just me. This has been an on and off problem. Really annoying! Will not load facebook, email and etc.

started happening yesterday in Tucson......... sporadic today.....

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 12:17 PM
Completely down today. Cannot access cellular network. Speedtesting fails every time.
:(

ndmx52
Jul 1, 2010, 12:22 PM
I've had this problem on and off since last night..... very annoying!

Andru1313
Jul 1, 2010, 12:27 PM
Here is something odd.. I have been having decent 3g connection today while sitting at my desk. I just walked around my office and BAM still full bars but email and web pages just hanggin. So IDK seems to be when i am moving around.

mnpackerfan
Jul 1, 2010, 12:36 PM
Today has been better for me, but not great. This morning the speed seemed back to normal, then it was slow again, then no data connection at all. Been up and down since then, thought it was fixed but apparently not. I'm in Minnesota

zoman504
Jul 1, 2010, 12:39 PM
Here is something odd.. I have been having decent 3g connection today while sitting at my desk. I just walked around my office and BAM still full bars but email and web pages just hanggin. So IDK seems to be when i am moving around.

I see this too. Regardless of the "deathgrip" issues, my phone will show 4-5 bars much more consistently than my 3G did, however I experience a lot more dropped calls, hang-ups, slow 3G, email issues.

joelshooty
Jul 1, 2010, 12:44 PM
Today has been better for me, but not great. This morning the speed seemed back to normal, then it was slow again, then no data connection at all. Been up and down since then, thought it was fixed but apparently not. I'm in Minnesota

Same issues here (Southeast Michigan). 3G was working well this morning, this afternoon it barely works at all (and sometimes not at all). I've been having this issue for days now. First noticed it on Friday 6/25.

JavierDiaz4
Jul 1, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hey guys, I'm having the same horrible issue which affects facebook, app store, email etc. I went into settings and turned off 3G and it fixed my problem. Its faster and more reliable so far. Of course I would like 3G to work so I'll call apple later on this but for now it world for me

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 12:50 PM
Hey guys, I'm having the same horrible issue which affects facebook, app store, email etc. I went into settings and turned off 3G and it fixed my problem. Its faster and more reliable so far. Of course I would like 3G to work so I'll call apple later on this but for now it world for me

That's not a solution, that's a band-aid.

SlavKO
Jul 1, 2010, 12:52 PM
If anyone has the inclination, go to AT&Ts facebook page and post something asking them about it. I did, and they asked me 'What data issue are you referring to?' I answered them and offered to provide links to the forum threads but have not gotten a reply yet.

smithrh
Jul 1, 2010, 12:58 PM
Sadly, add me to this list as well.

I saw this traveling across the country, so it's not just one site.

In comparison to the 3GS, the data performance is erratic.

Could be a network issue, hard to tell at this point.

myfoneisdank
Jul 1, 2010, 12:59 PM
ive made like 3 threads about this very issue. i'm happy one finally caught on.

i just returned my phone and went back to the 3gs because of this issue. its definitely the phone and not the network because my 3gs is working flawlessly as it always has.

to some people, not all: STOP SYMPATHIZING WITH APPLE and holding onto a new piece of technology that is clearly a P.O.S

if you have this problem just return the damn thing. thats the beauty of capitalism. unfortunately ATT screwed me with a 10% restocking fee just to return a defective product. can you believe this garbage?

Riley2323
Jul 1, 2010, 01:00 PM

Off on a tangent but.......you are going to regret the compressed air....next time your screen goes black in the sunlight you are going to see all kinds of dust specks under your screen. I blew in my once with my lungs.....dust all underneath the screen. Maybe it is sealed off now....I think mine was a iphone 3g.

andrewb21
Jul 1, 2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I'm having this problem suddenly with even loading a location on Google Maps. I type in the name to search, and it just sits there spinning... Sometimes if I re-search 4-5 times it will come up after 15 seconds or so, absolutely ridiculous. Can't tell if it is hardware or software because my girlfriends 3GS doesn't do it, side by side. :mad:

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 01:07 PM
Just ran a test side by side with an employee's 3GS and my 4: not good...

His screamed download 2312kbps, and up 312 kbps...
My 4 down... cannot connect to cellular network

I have reset it twice.

Full bars on both phones, and the 3G logo.

zoman504
Jul 1, 2010, 01:11 PM
Just ran a test side by side with an employee's 3GS and my 4: not good...

His screamed download 2312kbps, and up 312 kbps...
My 4 down... cannot connect to cellular network

I have reset it twice.

Full bars on both phones, and the 3G logo.

Seems a lot of people are seeing this issue. Does this coincide with the reception issues somehow? Or do you think it may be an entirely different issue?I get full bars and slow / cannot connect, as well. This may be an even bigger issue all together. WTH is up with these phones, I can't believe it is ATT's fault if other phones work fine on the network.

dark1x
Jul 1, 2010, 01:12 PM
In addition to the data occasionally dropping, I'm also noticing sudden dropped calls the likes of which were not normal with my 3GS. In the last couple of days it has happened 4 times. A call comes through, I start talking, and then within 10 seconds I get three slow beeps and the screen goes black. When I wake it up it informs me the call has failed.

This has happened with full bars each time. :\

Ironically, it just happened to me as AT&T called me to check on the problem I called about two days ago. The call dropped while talking to them. How about that?

CaliKev
Jul 1, 2010, 01:17 PM
Having the same problem here in Portland. Hadn't seen any posts like this in the last week so thought mine was the only one.

I called ATT yesterday and talked to different technical people for about 1 hour total time. The reps kept blaming the phone and not the network. They couldn't understand why it would say 3G with full bars but can't load a simple site such as google. They had me turn off wifi to see if that worked; and it did help for about 2 minutes and then went back to how it was.

I'm holding onto the phone in hopes that a fix comes soon. When it does work its better then my 3G and thankfully I'm not experiencing any reception problems when talking like others have.

I'm not too impressed with other phones out on the market so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a fix from Apple.

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 01:17 PM
Seems a lot of people are seeing this issue. Does this coincide with the reception issues somehow? Or do you think it may be an entirely different issue?I get full bars and slow / cannot connect, as well. This may be an even bigger issue all together. WTH is up with these phones, I can't believe it is ATT's fault if other phones work fine on the network.

IMO this is completely unrelated to the grip/antenna issues. I am a firm believer that this is a sim/transmission issue with the phone, and IS related to AT&T's network.

I think (or would bet you) that AT&T having issues communicating with this device on their network. I am not an engineer or RF communications specialists, but reading around these boards; it makes logical sense.

Maybe a specialist can pipe in who can explain it better than I. Whatever the cause is; it really is a terrible issue and I am afraid it may be this way for sometime.

AT&T as posted above by another poster.. "What network issue?" :eek:

zoman504
Jul 1, 2010, 01:25 PM
IMO this is completely unrelated to the grip/antenna issues. I am a firm believer that this is a sim/transmission issue with the phone, and IS related to AT&T's network.

I think (or would bet you) that AT&T having issues communicating with this device on their network. I am not an engineer or RF communications specialists, but reading around these boards; it makes logical sense.

Maybe a specialist can pipe in who can explain it better than I. Whatever the cause is; it really is a terrible issue and I am afraid it may be this way for sometime.

AT&T as posted above by another poster.. "What network issue?" :eek:

I guess I could understand a sim issue. I've owned iPhones before, so I know ATT's service with the iPhone has been shotty in the past, but I'm experiencing a lot more issues on my iPhone 4 than the previous models. Like i've stated on numerous threads, I'm in the "i just want a fix" camp. I love the i4, and probably wont return it, but I'm really hoping Apple and ATT are working to fix these issues.

sunshine girl2
Jul 1, 2010, 01:45 PM
I just joined MacRumors specifically because I wanted to add another "me too" to this thread, in hopes that this issue gets some immediate attention.

Got my new iPhone 4 and have had almost no luck connecting via 3G (it works sometimes, but then it doesn't. Just a spinning wheel. Hasn't worked at all the past few times I've tried, over several days. It can't even load a Google search result).

This is my first iPhone (and my first smartphone) and I thought I was doing something wrong. I'm glad to hear it's not just me, and also now very, very very annoyed with this situation after reading this whole thread.

I am in the Ann Arbor, MI area (for those keeping track of who is having the issue).

Andru1313
Jul 1, 2010, 01:50 PM
I just got off the phone with ATT CS here is my chat with them. Was told it was hardware issue..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=957519

rmitchell248
Jul 1, 2010, 02:00 PM
I am sorry to say that This happens to me as well here in Germany on the tmobile.de network so it not an issue with AT&T.

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 02:01 PM
I just got off the phone with ATT CS here is my chat with them. Was told it was hardware issue..

That's BS

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 02:03 PM

I am sorry to say that This happens to me as well here in Germany on the tmobile.de network so it not an issue with AT&T.

Than why is it that the device has at some point been functioning as normal on the network.

Last week I was getting 5m down, and 950kbps up!!!

Now it's my hardware failing????

rmitchell248
Jul 1, 2010, 02:06 PM
Than why is it that the device has at some point been functioning as normal on the network.

Last week I was getting 5m down, and 950kbps up!!!

Now it's my hardware failing????

Yah sometimes I get to see 3.5m up on 3G then nothing at all sitting in the same place. Pull out my 3GS and it works super. It's is for sure problem with the phone... Add it to the list of things that shold have fixed before releasing iphone4

Compile 'em all
Jul 1, 2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I'm having this problem suddenly with even loading a location on Google Maps. I type in the name to search, and it just sits there spinning... Sometimes if I re-search 4-5 times it will come up after 15 seconds or so, absolutely ridiculous. Can't tell if it is hardware or software because my girlfriends 3GS doesn't do it, side by side. :mad:

Are both phones resting on the table when you do that?

zizo79
Jul 1, 2010, 02:11 PM

I did the same test and both phone were on top of flat surface..3GS won the speed test

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 02:13 PM

I can attest that I did that exact test, and it is a yes. Both devices on table untouched give completely different results. 3GS blows the iP4 away today. My 4 fails lately and cannot even pass a speed test.

Full bars and 3G service reported on the top of course:rolleyes:

jazzyvandal
Jul 1, 2010, 02:17 PM
Same thing here in salt lake. 3G was not working at all yesterday. It worked this morning. Now it's not working this afternoon!!!

fastblack
Jul 1, 2010, 02:25 PM
Nothing but EDGE working today... I posted a couple videos showing the problem. Maybe I should put them on at&t's website. I've already had my phone replaced once for this.

Speedtest

Safari

zizo79
Jul 1, 2010, 02:26 PM
I can attest that I did that exact test, and it is a yes. Both devices on table untouched give completely different results. 3GS blows the iP4 away today. My 4 fails lately and cannot even pass a speed test.

Full bars and 3G service reported on the top of course:rolleyes:

Is macrumors going to post this issue in the frontpage?

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 02:28 PM
Is macrumors going to post this issue in the frontpage?

I don't know if arn know's about this. I doubt it.

S1njin
Jul 1, 2010, 02:30 PM
42 down, 695 up
97 down, 741 up
104 down, 815 up
88 down, 76 up

'5' bars

I'm not a happy camper

jw nyc
Jul 1, 2010, 02:39 PM
I have the same exact issue here in NYC. I could have 5 bars of 3G and Safari just won't load the web page. Lats night my friend with the Bold 9700 and I were both trying to go to ESPN.com and he got there in two seconds. Mine never loaded. Other times it will load just fine.

VERY FRUSTRATING!!

dark1x
Jul 1, 2010, 02:41 PM
Nothing but EDGE working today... I posted a couple videos showing the problem. Maybe I should put them on at&t's website. I've already had my phone replaced once for this.

Speedtest

Safari

Yes, exactly. Same results for me.

Sometimes it works just fine, other times it dies just like you see there.

Personally, this problem seems like it could be infinitely worse than all the antenna complaints. Hopefully someone catches this.

jcapz
Jul 1, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty upset yet relieved to see I'm not the only one experiencing these problems. I got the ip4 on Monday. Both Monday and Tuesday it was working great with the exception of the signal issue from time to time. Just yesterday till today I'm browsing the web as I normally do in areas that have the best reception when I used my 3GS. All day full bars yet no loading of safari and also upon deleting emails in mail it would take forever for the mail app to show the updated unread count. I really hope it's a network issue, that they are working on the network, and it's not completely the ip4.

mrFinder
Jul 1, 2010, 02:45 PM
I don't know if arn know's about this. I doubt it.

yea this needs to go to the front page. it seems to be a pretty widespread issue. i wonder what Jobs has to say about this.

iphone529
Jul 1, 2010, 02:52 PM
I have been getting such ******* numbers, I really like this phone, it looks beautiful its so much faster than my 3G, but its just not working right, 30kbps down 180 up, doesn't make any sense. WTF APPLE?

zizo79
Jul 1, 2010, 03:00 PM
I just contacted AT&T via FB, gave them my zip code and I was told that there are not outages in my area. WTF? Now this is getting crazy..

missing.link
Jul 1, 2010, 03:00 PM
I just joined MacRumors specifically because I wanted to add another "me too" to this thread, in hopes that this issue gets some immediate attention.

No problems with mine. Quick and fast data access, to add a countervailing data point. I actually live in a spotty coverage area, and I get 2.5 mbps down and 1mbps up. Plenty fast for streaming music and internet browsing. In better coverage area, it's much faster.

I think the above quote points to a reason why some of you think this problem may be more widespread than it actually is. There are a hell of a lot of iPhone 4's out there right now. The percentage of people complaining in this thread are a minuscule proportion of the total iPhone 4's that are in the wild.

Moreover, people are more likely to come here if they have something to complain about, resulting in a skewed data set.

I'm not saying your concerns aren't real, they obviously are. But, I think it's premature to claim widespread and debilitating problems. Network conditions specific to your locale and cell tower are a just as plausible. Full bars isn't really indicative of whether the cell tower is swamped, or the part of the network you are in is performing poorly.

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 03:04 PM
No problems with mine. Quick and fast data access, to add a countervailing data point. I actually live in a spotty coverage area, and I get 2.5 mbps down and 1mbps up. Plenty fast for streaming music and internet browsing. In better coverage area, it's much faster.

I think the above quote points to a reason why some of you think this problem may be more widespread than it actually is. There are a hell of a lot of iPhone 4's out there right now. The percentage of people complaining in this thread are a minuscule proportion of the total iPhone 4's that are in the wild.

Moreover, people are more likely to come here if they have something to complain about, resulting in a skewed data set.

I'm not saying your concerns aren't real, they obviously are. But, I think it's premature to claim widespread and debilitating problems. Network conditions specific to your locale and cell tower are a just as plausible. Full bars isn't really indicative of whether the cell tower is swamped, or the part of the network you are in is performing poorly.

You obviously didn't read the thread. Glad you have coverage. :D

-aggie-
Jul 1, 2010, 03:05 PM
42 down, 695 up
97 down, 741 up
104 down, 815 up
88 down, 76 up

'5' bars

I'm not a happy camper

Iím getting numbers like that too. Supposedly, thereís a nationwide 3G outage:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=957520&highlight=nationwide

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 03:11 PM
Iím getting numbers like that too. Supposedly, thereís a nationwide 3G outage:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=957520&highlight=nationwide

aggie:

to catch you up quickly....

The nationwide outage is BS. heres why.

An employee and I have 2 iPhones. His, a 3GS Mine- iP4

Both have 3G coverage- Full 5 bars

Mine (the 4) next to his (the 3GS) sitting side by side untouched on a speedtest....

His screams up and down (2800+ down 350-400 up).... Mine fails, or gets 32k down and 48k up.

Now, explain that :confused::confused::confused:

BTW.. this has been going on and off for a week. His 3GS has been solid all week.

I'm at a loss.

danz7785
Jul 1, 2010, 03:20 PM
I live in South Jersey, near Philly and I had my iphone 4 replaced yesterday, which did not fix the problem and had a new micro sim card installed, and that did not fix it either, I never had this problem on my 3gs, but my iphone 4 works on EDGE. today i went to an ATT store in Mt Laurel, NJ and the manager told me that I didnt have to buy the iphone and that there are no problems with the network, WOW!

zizo79
Jul 1, 2010, 03:24 PM
I just contacted AT&T via FB, gave them my zip code and I was told that there are not outages in my area. WTF? Now this is getting crazy..

aggie:

Mine (the 4) next to his (the 3GS) sitting side by side untouched on a speedtest....

His screams up and down (2800+ down 350-400 up).... Mine fails, or gets 32k down and 48k up.

BTW.. this has been going on and off for a week. His 3GS has been solid all week.

I'm at a loss.

I feel like this has something to do with the antenna issue.apple and AT&T are probably testing iPhone 4 antennaa

-aggie-
Jul 1, 2010, 03:25 PM
aggie:

I'm at a loss.

Yeah, I remember you posting something like that (unless it was someone else). However, there are various reports all over the place mentioning an outage. I was getting around 1500 down yesterday and now 10. :)

technopimp
Jul 1, 2010, 03:59 PM
Just had an online chat with an AT&T rep. Basically didn't get much help with the issue, although he did drop a few good ones that I had to share:

XXXXX: Honestly the Iphone 4 has a lot of issue with data since releasing.

XXXXX: Some devices need to have firmware reloaded 2-3 times before it starts functioning correctly.

XXXXX: Also there has been some issues with the antenna built into the iphone..

SlavKO
Jul 1, 2010, 04:02 PM
Just had an online chat with an AT&T rep. Basically didn't get much help with the issue, although he did drop a few good ones that I had to share:

Geez this sux. I really dont want to take this phone back. It's a 100 times better than my 3g.

The only thing I dont get it is why was everything working fine for a few days then this?

michael31986
Jul 1, 2010, 04:16 PM
Geez this sux. I really dont want to take this phone back. It's a 100 times better than my 3g.

The only thing I dont get it is why was everything working fine for a few days then this?

Yea idk either. They must be testing something

zizo79
Jul 1, 2010, 04:36 PM
Yea idk either. They must be testing something

That is what I am thinking but they should tell us something at least...

oplix
Jul 1, 2010, 04:38 PM
This has EVERYTHING to do with the reception issue. Holding it over the dead zone causes data outage.

utcarsons
Jul 1, 2010, 05:04 PM
This has EVERYTHING to do with the reception issue. Holding it over the dead zone causes data outage.

Mine has crazy sporadic results laying flat on the table. No changes noted with the "deathgrip" or fingertip of death....

In the last hour, with only touching of phone on screen to initiate testing...
11 down 28 up
475 down 219 up
1623 down 60 up
1156 down 297 up

This excludes the approximately 5 times the test initiated and I got an error saying the connection was lost. I go instantly from 5 bars 3G to no bars 3G without touching the phone at all. If I turn 3G off, my bars stay about 4-5 with no fluctation. Im home on wifi most of the day, so I've just left 3G off, but Im not sure Im satisfied with that solution long-term... :(

chisoxbull
Jul 1, 2010, 06:39 PM
This has been horrible. The first few days were great. Now 238k download but zero upload on speedtest. Went to AT&T and they said they don't know what to say. People have come in with same issue all day. They said it affects iPhone 4 and nothing else. I think this is obvious at this point but ultimately shouldn't we know the truth about what's going on.

SlavKO
Jul 1, 2010, 06:49 PM
This has been horrible. The first few days were great. Now 238k download but zero upload on speediest. Went to AT&T and they said they don't know what to say. People have come in with same issue all day. They said it affects iPhone 4 and nothing else. I think this is obvious at this point but ultimately shouldn't we know the truth about what's going on.

Exactly. This is ridiculous. I can deal with some little things but this is a ^%}{}*£<@$ joke.

S1njin
Jul 1, 2010, 07:11 PM
It'd be real nice to know if they are tweaking or if this phone is just not up to snuff.

JavierDiaz4
Jul 1, 2010, 07:32 PM
I'm not waiting the full 30 days to return my PHone. I pay ATT to provide 3G service and if I can only get reliable 3G and voice service on my IPhone 3GS, then I'm going back.

Here's my video of my Edge working better on my PHone than 3G. It starts with 3G on, it takes too long to load, so then I stop it and switch to Edge, it picks right up. It's been like this ever since I got my phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4PLKCMM8zs

Ogrillion
Jul 1, 2010, 07:32 PM
I made an appointment with Apple for tomorrow. I really dislike this whole lack of 3g its been this way since I got the phone.

Thing that annoys me is if they replace the phone I have to remove my zagg shield which wouldn't bother me if I got a working phone back. But my honest feeling is its going to be the same deal with whatever phone they give me lol.

For the sack of my own curiosity lol is anyone in Eastern PA (near allentown, Bethlehem etc etc who has an Iphone 4 and have nothing but fast 3G speeds?

I tested today with my coworkers 3GS side by side.. hers loads anything fast mine times out or takes dialup speeds (maybe worse) /cry.. Outage my ass..

drober30
Jul 1, 2010, 08:28 PM
Just like the keynote! 3GS loaded the web page, iPhone4 did not.

mrFinder
Jul 1, 2010, 08:37 PM
Just like the keynote! 3GS loaded the web page, iPhone4 did not.

it was a foreshadowing of what was to come.

Andru1313
Jul 1, 2010, 08:40 PM
Just got back from my Genius appt. I was not alone 2 other people came in due to data issues. We were all told its an ATT issue. I said I called ATT and they said its a hardware issue. So no resolve. They did say to me an update will be released in the next few days. He said late tomorrow but said he could not confirm. So iDK not much of an update but that is what i was told..

DadofThree
Jul 1, 2010, 08:43 PM
I hate to pile on, but I'm definitely seeing the same thing. My wife has a 3G and it's solid while my 4 is struggling to load anything. Then, two minutes later, in the exact same location, my 4 will be lightning fast - her 3G the same as it always was.

I also don't have any issue with bars based on how I hold it. I run the speed tests holding it and resting on the table. Doesn't make a difference. I also don't lose bars when holding it in the normal way I usually do - maybe I just hold it strangely, maybe I have dry, non-conductive skin...who knows?

I honestly don't think what's being described here is a reception issue (that may be something separate). I think it's a software bug with how the iPhone 4 interacts with AT&T's network under certain conditions. That's my purely speculative, uneducated opinion. :D Hope there's a fix soon, because like most, I love this phone when it's going well.

For what it's worth, I'm in the NY City suburbs.

mrFinder
Jul 1, 2010, 08:44 PM
Just got back from my Genius appt. I was not alone 2 other people came in due to data issues. We were all told its an ATT issue. I said I called ATT and they said its a hardware issue. So no resolve. They did say to me an update will be released in the next few days. He said late tomorrow but said he could not confirm. So iDK not much of an update but that is what i was told..

thanks for sharing. i too was thinking about taking my phone in for a genius bar appointment but it just seems like they're sending us in circles. at&t tells us to go to apple and apple tells us its an at&t issue. hopefully that update comes out soon. i feel somewhat relieved that i'm not the only one with this issue and that apple is working on a fix, whether they like to openly admit it or not.

drool6
Jul 1, 2010, 08:45 PM
Sigh, add me to the list of iP4 3G slowness... Did a few speedtests.. all over the place, but most were less than 300/46 kbps. Test my wife's 3GS right next to mine, and it was a consistent 1000+/200+ kbps. I live in Queens, NY and coverage here was generally great. When I first got my iP4 on June 23, it was really fast. The 3G issue only started happening the past couple of days.

FYI-Tests were all done with phone lying on the table.

Andru1313
Jul 1, 2010, 08:46 PM
Ya be on the look out for an update in teh next few days. They did exchange my phone but for camera issues not data issue...

Ogrillion
Jul 1, 2010, 08:48 PM
So off an on I was doing speedtests...

Hers the last few

13 kbps down 327 kbps up
1428 kbps down 430 up
21 down 423 up
0 down 400 up

Right before bed I did a quick one just to see..

4154 kpbs down 472 up :eek:

I just can't believe this is hardware.. If it sometimes works great.. Just doesn't make sense.

Also that last speed was the phone in my hand.. my left hand :cool:

tigres
Jul 1, 2010, 08:54 PM
So off an on I was doing speedtests...

Hers the last few

13 kbps down 327 kbps up
1428 kbps down 430 up
21 down 423 up
0 down 400 up

Right before bed I did a quick one just to see..

4154 kpbs down 472 up :eek:

I just can't believe this is hardware.. If it sometimes works great.. Just doesn't make sense.

Also that last speed was the phone in my hand.. my left hand :cool:

You are not alone.

I also believe this is not hardware.

spydr
Jul 1, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have this signal issue only for the last two days.
I did a series of speed tests Sunday morning about 8 a.m.
Average = ~1500kbps! (3300-600 Kbps range)

Yesterday and today between 6-9 p.m. - incredibly sluggish on 3G. Full bars of course.
Speedtest Average = 35 Kbps (range = 0 - 220 Kbps):mad:

I wonder how many thousand of the two million or more new iPhones are here at DC metro choking up bandwidth.

Fuk you AT&T.

joelshooty
Jul 1, 2010, 09:14 PM
Fuk you AT&T.

I don't know who to blame yet. The fact that a 3GS is unaffected suggests that AT&T is not to blame. But the 3G sluggishness on the iPhone 4 seems to be intermittent and primarily during peak hours, which suggests AT&T might be to blame.

For Apple, I don't think it's a hardware issue, MAYBE a firmware/software issue. Or it's on the AT&T network side (for instance, how the network software responds to data requests made by an iPhone 4).

I just want a solution ASAP.

vincenz
Jul 1, 2010, 09:22 PM
I'm in the NYC suburbs and the 3G signal has been spotty the whole week. It was MUCH better today though. Speed tests actually go through and websites actually load in Safari again! I'm convinced it's an AT&T issue. It's getting better day by day, so I'm happy. Once the honeymoon phase ends with most users hammering the servers and they issue a signal fix of some sort, I'm sure everything will be back to normal. Patience is all that's needed at this point. Go outside this holiday weekend. Spend time with family and friends instead of stewing over internet forums surmising new theories about why your phone isn't working the way it's supposed to. Things will work themselves out!

zizo79
Jul 1, 2010, 09:32 PM
I just got off the phone with Apple where I talked to 2 people a CSR and then his manager. I told them that I did all the troubleshooting steps so the manager then put me on hold to call AT&T because it might be their network. After 10 minutes in hold, he comes back and then say that AT&T told him that their network is fine. So I am not sure if going to my apple store will fix anything at this point ? AT&T says: it's hardware and then apple says: it's the network
Guess who's stuck in the middle of this?? us !!!!

wakka092
Jul 1, 2010, 09:43 PM
Count me in, but on EDGE: 29kbps down, 3kbps up. :eek: Should be something like 160kbps down, 80kbps up like it was with my 3G.

pyrometric
Jul 1, 2010, 10:07 PM
I too have been so frustrated with this problem. I got full bars with 3G all the time but the data connection was really slow and most of the time it just won't work at all. This is so bad as I rely on my phone for emails and texts (through Yak). Hope they have the firmware fix soon. I'm in MD and have had this problem since day 1.

em5photog
Jul 1, 2010, 10:41 PM
I am having the same problems here in Denver with my Iphone 4 .I Also have 3 other lines with iphone 3g's and they work perfect. I put them side by side all 4 iphones and guess what 3 out of the 4 work as they should. My new iphone is the only one unable to load web pages. facebook twitter. all with 5 bars of 3g. Funny thing happened today at work. I was holding the phone covering the left corner to try loose bars and when the bars went down to one or none, my web pages loaded fast faster than my 3g. so i ran a couple tests on speed holding the phone to loose signal and test were 1500 kbs then took my finger off the left corner and the speed dropped while doing the test. with the phone on the table i was getting 200 or less kbs. they need to fix this

SlavKO
Jul 1, 2010, 10:57 PM
I expect this from any other hardware provider and cell service. But these two companies are in an exclusive agreement together. They should be working together to figure this out. I wonder how long before they figure that out if ever. :mad:

zizo79
Jul 1, 2010, 11:01 PM
I expect this from any other hardware provider and cell service. But these two companies are in an exclusive agreement together. They should be working together to figure this out. I wonder how long before they figure that out if ever. :mad:

I wonder how long it will take them to admit that there is a problem..

hockeydude35
Jul 1, 2010, 11:23 PM
So, just to add a little observation of my own:

I currently live in Northern VA. When I left my apartment tonight, I did not have any 3G data or voice. It's basically been dead since 2 days ago (it comes on and off, but is too spotty to use). I drove to my parents in PA this evening and tried a few times along the way to use 3G, to no avail. Upon arriving at my parents, I now have excellent 3G data again....best part....I never had 3G here before (as early as 3 weeks ago). I'm seeing speeds of 4Mb/s Down and 2Mb/s Up and it seems very consistent. Make of it what you will, but it's interesting to say the least.

zizo79
Jul 1, 2010, 11:25 PM
Guys go ahead and check you speeds....mine are back to normal for now..
This looks promising :rolleyes:

SlavKO
Jul 1, 2010, 11:27 PM
FYI I did talk to a AT&T rep tonight when setting up my old 3G for my wife. Anyhow I asked about data problems and she said that my area was fine but that NOVA was having major issues with service. No idea when it would be back to normal she said.

sjn419
Jul 1, 2010, 11:44 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one, I live in Fairfax, VA and I was pulling my hair out tonight trying to get my internet to work

zizo79
Jul 1, 2010, 11:46 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one, I live in Fairfax, VA and I was pulling my hair out tonight trying to get my internet to work

did you run a speedtest ?

rmitchell248
Jul 1, 2010, 11:47 PM
I posted this earlier but everybody mad at AT&T is wrong i hale this same provlem here in Germany on tmobile or telekom.de network here in Germany.

Phone problem for sure!

sjn419
Jul 1, 2010, 11:50 PM
did you run a speedtest ?

no. no webpage would even load. I've been on wifi the last couple hours so idk what the 3G situation is by now.