Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

062102-_BAH5457_500.jpg

Photo by albert1028
Apple has begun been shipping their bumper cases for the iPhone 4. Several readers have been posting photos of their iPhones in the various bumper colors: White, Pink, Green, Blue, and Orange. iPhone 4 accessory manufacturers got an unexpected boost when Apple released a statement last week recommending the use of a case for the iPhone 4 if you suffered from signal attenuation issues.

As usual, there are a large number of 3rd party case manufacturers who are ramping up their production. Several early models are already on the market, but many others are still pending.

063638-4gmockup_1_large.png

Grovemade is offering a particularly eye catching bamboo design for the iPhone 4. The design is more cosmetic than protective as the FAQ reports that the case may not survive a severe impact.

063638-iPhone4BallisticHC_400.jpg

Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum, if you're looking for hard core protection, Ballistic recently announced their Ballistic HC Series case for the iPhone 4. Designed for severe conditions, the case design is said to have 4 layers of protection and a built in screen protector.

Article Link: iPhone 4 Bumpers Shipping, Case Manufacturers Ramping Up

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Yeah, I'm with you guys. The Grove bamboo one looks sweeeeeet. It's expensive, but I think that's the case I'm going to get.

tantric132

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
Just got mine this morning! I have a $24.99 bumper case that AT&T carried. Decided to buy the cheapest case until Otterbox releases.

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Although protecting the iphone from impacts caused by dropping the phone is important, I'm more interested in a case that protects the glass from scratches and grime. The bamboo case does look nice. Wonder if it's real bamboo...caught by Pandas out in the Chinese wilderness..

EDIT: ah yes it's real bamboo...but from Oregan :|
Suede lining to protect the phone.

I'm sold.

phoenix1492

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
i'm sorry, but I can't justify paying $29 for a little piece of molded rubber/plastic that costs maybe 25 cents to make....

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Got mine yesterday. They are really nice and way more then just a rubber band.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I got the black bumper just to try it, but I wasn't planning on liking it.

I've been surprised to find that I actually like it! And I can tell it's keeping my phone off the table when I set it down. The rubber 'thunk' sound as it hits the surface is somewhat pleasing.

But I'll probably stick with black. None of these colors is really doing it for me. If someone else rips off Apple's design but makes dark blue or maroon ones, well I'd think about that, then.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
i'm sorry, but I can't justify paying $29 for a little piece of molded rubber/plastic that costs maybe 25 cents to make....

They have metal buttons on them, so I am sure they cost a little more then $0.25 to make...

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009

That's how I feel. Funny how Apple is almost making it a requirement due to the reception problems. A rubber coating on the outside should be part of the design. I've been saying this since the beginning.

tCruzin4lyfe

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
No bumper for me, I got the Luxe Lean, thin smooth and protects the back. Got a screen protector from best buy untilnthe ones I ordered comes in. But yeah that Bamboo looks like great protection but a bit too much for me. But man it's sooooo many cases that are still coming soon. I can't wait to see what switcheasy comes with.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Hmmmm the otter box or ballistic

I've had lot's of Otterbox products over the years (for cameras and other devices going way back), including the Defender case for my 3G and 3GS. I like the look of the Otterbox vs this Ballistic case, however, I'm disappointed that Otterbox has again insisted on putting a window in the back to show the Apple logo. For this reason alone I may seriously consider this Ballistic case. I'll wait for some of the reports...

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I got the black bumper just to try it, but I wasn't planning on liking it.

I've been surprised to find that I actually like it! And I can tell it's keeping my phone off the table when I set it down. The rubber 'thunk' sound as it hits the surface is somewhat pleasing.

But I'll probably stick with black. None of these colors is really doing it for me. If someone else rips off Apple's design but makes dark blue or maroon ones, well I'd think about that, then.

The colors really seem to be targeted for the white phone. But I like to see all the bumpers on the black phone to see what they look like...

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
My buddy got his yesterday and I absolutely LOVE the bumper. Feels nice in your hand and the metal buttons make if feel like a part of the phone. I wasn't planning on getting one but now i don't mind dropping the $30.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Does anyone know anything about Ballistic's track record with their cases? Personally, I have no problems with the logo showing. My main concern is how well the case can handle a spill. I'm extremely klutzy and a bit of a butterfingers.
However, if Ballistic's case was available now, I'd probably hit the buy button and order my iPhone 4.
I've had lot's of Otterbox products over the years (for cameras and other devices going way back), including the Defender case for my 3G and 3GS. I like the look of the Otterbox vs this Ballistic case, however, I'm disappointed that Otterbox has again insisted on putting a window in the back to show the Apple logo. For this reason alone I may seriously consider this Ballistic case. I'll wait for some of the reports...

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
I'll either go with the otterbox or ballistic, mine's in a leather wallet type case for now. I like something that will keep moisture out if I'm biking or hiking.

phoenix1492

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
They have metal buttons on them, so I am sure they cost a little more then $0.25 to make...

Don't get me wrong, It's a pretty slick 'case' and i really like it. But i'm just turned off by the high price, I'd have no problem paying $20 for it, $29 just seems a bit steep if not borderline gouging. Especially now that you almost need a case with the reception issues.

gkp

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2009
I like my Bumper

I got my bumper delivered on the 24th. I got the black one. I actually like it except my older USB cables for syncing or that I use in my car to hook up to my stereo won't work as they won't go in all the way. I also use a ZAGG protective screen on front and back.
I feel like my phone is fairly protected.
$29 for it is VERY steep though.
Oh well...

TheJuggla17

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
Primos, PA
Does anyone know anything about Ballistic's track record with their cases? Personally, I have no problems with the logo showing. My main concern is how well the case can handle a spill. I'm extremely klutzy and a bit of a butterfingers.
However, if Ballistic's case was available now, I'd probably hit the buy button and order my iPhone 4.

I don't think they've been around long but their case looks awesome, in fact it's the only case on my radar for my iPhone 4. They have a Youtube page that shows the case a little.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BallisticOfficialYT - I was actually their first subscriber. lqtm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.