PDA

View Full Version : what's the best way to clean my macbook?

vvn347
Jun 29, 2010, 08:54 AM
My laptop is gross... of course I got the white one, and have had for two years, so it just looks really dirty. Anyone have any tips for safe cleaning/

eman
Jun 29, 2010, 09:08 AM
Very lightly damp paper towel with simple green (you don't want liquid to go through keyboard keys). For harder stains, use a "magic eraser".

l.a.rossmann
Jun 30, 2010, 09:24 AM
I like using CD wipes with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

mrsir2009
Jun 30, 2010, 01:22 PM
What specific parts are dirty?

If its just things like the palmrest surfaces, they can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth. The screen can be cleaned with the dry cloth that came with your MacBook (if it doesn't come off using the dry cloth, use a damp paper towel).

I'm also guessing that the tops of the WHITE (cringe) keys are sorta grubby and stained from 2 yrs of use? Well, to fix that use a DAMP cloth on the tops of the keys. Don't make the cloth WET or water will get into the keyboard. Just make it damp.

Godo luck! :D

marine-sniper
Jun 30, 2010, 05:45 PM
If you have a Apple store close by see if they carry a product called iKlear, I've used it on my MacBook (white 2007) from day one good product you want be disappointed! :)

Torster
Jun 30, 2010, 05:51 PM
If you have a Apple store close by see if they carry a product called iKlear, I've used it on my MacBook (white 2007) from day one good product you want be disappointed! :)

Why wouldn't you just use CLP?

:-)

Tor

Applepi
Jun 30, 2010, 10:49 PM
For harder stains, use a "magic eraser".

Do not, I repeat DO NOT do this - I had to learn the hard way. Liquid got its way below the keyboard and completely rendered my Macbook useless. Fortunately for me it didn't trigger the water sensor and Apple fixed my Macbook with no charge.

marine-sniper
Jul 1, 2010, 04:47 PM
Do not, I repeat DO NOT do this - I had to learn the hard way. Liquid got its way below the keyboard and completely rendered my Macbook useless. Fortunately for me it didn't trigger the water sensor and Apple fixed my Macbook with no charge.

With the iKlear you would spray it on the different cloths that comes with the product, your correct do not spray any liquid on a keyboard!

marine-sniper
Jul 1, 2010, 04:48 PM
Why wouldn't you just use CLP?

:-)

Tor

CLP?????

eman
Jul 1, 2010, 09:16 PM

Sounds like you had too much liquid on your sponge and that's a no no. I use a magic eraser all the time on a macbook keyboard with no issues, just don't put a lot of water on the magic eraser and your good.

Queen of Spades
Jul 2, 2010, 09:40 PM
Magic eraser all the way - you will be amazed at how clean it gets your MacBook. I can't understand how someone had enough water in it to cause damage? When used properly, most of the water is squeezed out, and anyway, it's used on the outside of the MacBook, not on squeezed into the keyboard.

Salacion
Jul 14, 2010, 05:45 PM
You want the absolute BEST way to clean your keyboards? Handheld Vacuum.

Like many out there, I've been searching (mostly in vain) to find some kind of solution for extracting the dust/food/hair from the keyboards, so as to ensure they look close to brand new. I was not willing to give up functionality over protection (I'm referring to keyboard protectors), so I just had to find someway to clean it. Vacuum did it. The next best solution is air spray, but it won't come anywhere close to how well a vacuum will clean it.

So, go out to your local electronic/hardware store, pick up a $60 handheld vacuum (they even have some specifically designed for computer keyboards and the like) and get all that ***** out. Also use iKlear afterwards to leave the keyboard glossy clean.

Trust me, the results speak for themselves.