Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
So did I.

Hey Steve,

I'm a giant fan of your Macbook Air, but need something more powerful for graduate school. I'm really curious if an update is coming, so I can know if I should wait or just get a 13 inch Macbook Pro. Any news would be quite appreciated.

Bri

Yinmay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
so I can know if I should wait or just get a 13 inch Macbook Pro.

That's the problem. Is Apple missing on sales because of the lack of update? I mean are people turning to other brands altogether or simply purchasing another Apple product(s*) instead? If the latter why should Apple care?

*At least two persons I know bought a MBP15+iPad to replace their MBA (ie. $2300+ instead of $1800). From a commercial point of view, and based on this anecdotal sample, discontinuing the MBA seems like a very smart thing to do :(

I hope I'm wrong.

still in school

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2009
So did I.

Hey Steve,

I'm a giant fan of your Macbook Air, but need something more powerful for graduate school. I'm really curious if an update is coming, so I can know if I should wait or just get a 13 inch Macbook Pro. Any news would be quite appreciated.

Bri

I wouldn't respond to that either, in both cases, he wins. In the end you still purchased a mac. Should have stated, "... should I wait or should I buy the Dell?"

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I wouldn't respond to that either, in both cases, he wins. In the end you still purchased a mac. Should have stated, "... should I wait or should I buy the Dell?"

Haha. It's hard to imagine Jobs sweating the $1500 he'd lose. "Oh no! I could lose Spacekatgal as a customer!"

Dells are POSs. Talk about cheap.

Bri

solowap

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
So I just visited a Premium Reseller to pick up my MBP 13" that had been in for a trackpad replacement. My girlfriend is after an MBA and asked if they had any in stock.

He went out and checked, conferred with manager and came back and said no.

I asked when they were due to get any in and the manager said they weren't due to get any "of that spec"

could be something could be nothing. Not sure how a reseller would know unless they were imminently expecting a delivery of new versions.

bokacio

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
I have also sent email to mr. Jobs, but no reply.

I think that there will be new MBA in simple reason that MBA is window to the future, and one day MBP laptops will look like MBA today. :)

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
He's waiting for scottsdale to send him a wall of text email, he wont reply to you peons.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

solowap: "any of that spec" meaning the hard drive or SSD model? Which had she requested?

And Scottsdale... I may have missed it when I was away for a couple weeks. What did Jobs say?

macfromwayback2

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
What's his email address? I'd like to email him.
I've been waiting for an updated MBA for almost a year....for a really good update.
Surely its time

solowap

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
I asked for both specs and both were sold out with no stock due in. I was really after the SSD version.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

Solowap: Hmmm. Now that I reread it, the word "reseller" pops out. Could just be that they sold slow enough that he doesn't want to get more in a down economy.

I emailed Jobs too. No luck.

When the UK car makers started letting the Austin Healy, the Triumph and the 3rd one in that cheapo sports car category get long in the tooth, I read it was because they couldn't afford to upgrade. But Apple's got cash coming out of its ears. Go figure.

So I pretty much have to buy without further waiting, now. For that kind of money... I'll have to get some long use out of it; skipping the next version or 2, which seems like when the big upgrade may occur.

Timing is everything, eh? :(

Ah, but after I wring my Air's battery dry, and the replacement battery too.... THEN I'll get a wonderfully designed and equipped Air! :eek:
Shortly after the Palin administration invades Siberia.

solowap

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
It was the Uks largest Premium Reseller with multiple apple stores on the high street so not sure it would be them not buying them in. The attitude seemed to be they deliberately weren't being sent any.

It's a guessing game but it certainly made me more suspicious and i'm holding off for a few more weeks now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.