Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
I find it *quite ridiculous* that even after a whole YEAR I still have to stare at my "latest infractions received".

It expired a year ago. It serves no purpose to anyone other than to annoy me. Given that it was given to me in error doesn't help (the offender who reported me admitted they were in the wrong), but is frankly neither here nor there.

Why does MacRumors think treating it's members like children by placing them on the naughty step is in any way acceptable? I have refused to click on a single advert/affiliate link etc or take part in any offer that helps this site since I received this "infraction" - and I encourage others to do the same until this ridiculous system is removed.

Thanks.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You're just holding your profile wrong.

On a more serious note, I kind of thought we had addressed this issue in your other threads on the topic last year. As we now also note in our FAQ, infractions are an automated system that is part of vBulletin. They don't disappear from your profile with the passage of time because the vBulletin system doesn't have that functionality included.

The infraction notice on your profile serves as a record and reminder of your forum rules violation in hopes of discouraging future incidents. And since you still seem to be mistaken about the validity of the infraction and we do not publicly discuss details of individual moderation cases, I suggest that you contact us if you wish to receive clarification.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Sorry but i still find it unbelievable that you have implemented this system and claim there is absolutely no way to remove it. What a joke.

Pathetic frankly. You could remove, you just don't want to. If this site can invent the forum spy - adding functionality to vBullitin then you're telling me that removing one line from my UserCP is impossible. Rubbish.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...test-Infractions-Received-quot-in-the-User-CP

The functionality does clearly exist by the way.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
wow

ever heard of a script to automate tasks, sorry: 'hacks'?

it's just plain stuborness/childishness that prevents the powers that be from sorting out the mess they've created. For mods to keep spouting an out and out lie about being able to do nothing about it is a bit pathetic tbh.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
wow

ever heard of a script to automate tasks, sorry: 'hacks'?

it's just plain stuborness/childishness that prevents the powers that be from sorting out the mess they've created. For mods to keep spouting an out and out lie about being able to do nothing about it is a bit pathetic tbh.

Maybe it's semantics but moderators cannot remove infractions period. We also cannot install hacks. Only the admins can do the infraction removal I think and I don't even know if the admins can install hacks.

I guess I don't see them as a big deal. I don't even look at my profile. But to each their own.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sorry but i still find it unbelievable that you have implemented this system and claim there is absolutely no way to remove it. What a joke.

Sorry but i still find it unbelievable that you have started 3 threads to rant about this topic, only to get the very same answers each time. What a joke.
it's just plain stuborness/childishness that prevents the powers that be from sorting out the mess they've created.
it's just plain stuborness/childishness that prevents the OP from ceasing from ranting about the infractions they've created.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Why does MacRumors think treating it's members like children by placing them on the naughty step is in any way acceptable? I have refused to click on a single advert/affiliate link etc or take part in any offer that helps this site since I received this "infraction" - and I encourage others to do the same until this ridiculous system is removed.

Thanks.

I hear you. I got one for telling someone to grow up. In the poster's reply to me, he said he needed to grow up yet I get an infraction. :rolleyes:

You're just holding your profile wrong.

We need more of that from you and your team. :D

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
well when you keep getting lied too, starting threads is the way to go. You wouldn't catch Don Bradman just letting the issue rest would you?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I've got two - one for having my signature too long, and another for bumping one of my threads that was inactive for a few days.

I just click the pill button to shrink them so I don't see them when I click User CP..

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Where do you find or see this information? I went to my User CP and nothing showing up there.

If you don't have any infractions you won't see anything in your UserCP. Of course, I could give you one if you'd like :D

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
Of course, I could give you one if you'd like :D

Oooooo. On another forum I used to go on, we had this super awesome game where once a year mods would give infractions or ban people for a day for stupid and funny reasons. Of course they were jokes but it was oh so much fun. That forum had a public banned users list, though, so everyone could read the awesomeness. I think it would be pretty cool for MR, regardless. :D

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
well when you keep getting lied too

that's a bit of an exaggeration

If you read the link and what WildCowboy described they are clearly not the same.

They don't disappear from your profile with the passage of time because the vBulletin system doesn't have that functionality included.

What the link suggests is a hack rather than a standard function of vbulletin. Also your suggested hack totally removed the infraction system from view by the members which would totally negate our intended use of the system.

Yes there might be another hack that offer what you want but then ...

Hacks are something that people should be very wary about implementing, as demonstrated by your very link they are likely to break and cause issues when upgrading.

I just click the pill button to shrink them so I don't see them when I click User CP..

Would this solution appease you fluidedge?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If you don't have any infractions you won't see anything in your UserCP. Of course, I could give you one if you'd like :D

Where would it show up? Is it visible to others?

What are the consequences, or does it vary? Are there inconsequential infractions? If so, why would anyone care?

If possible, I'd like to order one inconsequential infraction, for harping on about an inconsequential aspect of the site. And I'd like a small Coke with that.

Seriously, if there are no consequences, infract me, please.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Where would it show up?

In your user profile

Is it visible to others?

Only yourself and the mods

What are the consequences, or does it vary?

Infractions are used for relatively minor issues and are served as a reminder/warning to observe the rules. There are a number of infraction categories e.g. signature rules, trolling, insults, bumping, bypassing the profanity filter etc. i.e. Issues listed in the forum rules. The consequences of an infraction are usually just the infraction, it is after the infraction that the consequences may build up if the issues repeat.

Are there inconsequential infractions? If so, why would anyone care?

See above. Infractions are served for a purpose.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Creating duplicate threads on the same topic is also against the rules. Would you like another infraction?

Are you threatening me?! Threats aren't allowed. I shall report you. Look forward to your infraction.

I do click the pill button, but every time i go back to my userCP it's popped open again, what super functionality.

For those who are interested i recieved by infraction for this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7597523

see if you can spot the infraction. You'd have an easier time playing where's wally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.