PDA

View Full Version : Audiobooks

mjspike2323
Oct 30, 2004, 10:31 PM
hey all....anyone know a good place or software to use to find free audiobooks? thanks

blodwyn
Nov 1, 2004, 11:13 AM
Head over to Nonags (http://www.nonags.com). If you sign up to become a NonagsPlus member ($22 per year or $52 lifetime membership) you get the features below. I've been a member for a couple of years, and it's a good site, although the freeware is all windows based, but you might be interested in the 240+ Gigabytes of MP3 Audio Books, Old Time Radio, and theater plays.

What is NonagsPLUS?

NonagsPLUS is the same as above PLUS a lot more! But there is a membership fee that helps us support the whole project which involves a tremendous amount of work. Some of the NonagsPLUS benefits are listed below.

Access Nonags right on NONAGSPLUS.COM as it's updated live!
Live 24/7 New & Updated Software.
Direct Downloads From Our Servers.
No More Broken links to files, all are available from our servers.
More than 4000 freeware files.
5.1 Gigabytes of freeware.
240+ Gigabytes of MP3 Audio Books, Old Time Radio, and theater plays.
More than 4200 quality True Type fonts. Free!
More than 13000 quality imagess. Free!
Other special downloads.
Best in Nonags, top rated programs.
NO ADVERTISING, no banners, no popups, nothing.

jsw
Nov 1, 2004, 11:31 AM
I know it isn't free, but Audible.com lets you get one book - any book, of any value - per month plus one subscription to any periodical (daily, weekly, monthly) each month for $15/month with an annual subscription - plus you get a decent free MP3 player (or $7.50 off one month's subscription... hmmm... free player? $7.50 off one month? ... advantage: player). The player is no iPod, but it's a nice who-cares-if-it-goes-tossed-around player. To spend $15 a month and get great quality audiobooks and a subscription to some decent periodicals has been, in my experience, worth it. Perhaps something to consider....

blodwyn
Nov 1, 2004, 03:51 PM
I also found this site (http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/screen_main.asp)

pubwvj
Jun 23, 2005, 03:53 PM
I know it isn't free, but Audible.com lets you get one book - any book, of any value - per month plus one subscription to any periodical (daily, weekly, monthly) each month for $15/month with an annual subscription - plus you get a decent free MP3 player (or $7.50 off one month's subscription... hmmm... free player?

Unfortunately the player is NOT Mac compatible for playing Audible.com audio books. :( I ordered mine the other week and just got it today. It works fine with the Mac OS X but the player does not appear in iTunes and if I manually copy Audible.com books to the player on the desktop the player does not recognize them. I called Audible.com tech support and they said, "We don't support the Macintosh." Call them at 1-888-283-5051 to complain and tell them they should support the Mac with the player.

By the way, the player wasn't "Free". I paid for it with a Premium membership plus $12.95 "shipping". Free would have been $0. It would have been even nicer if it actually worked.