PDA

View Full Version : iPod Mania

MacBytes
Oct 30, 2004, 10:35 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: iPod Mania (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041030233519)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Oct 30, 2004, 10:36 PM
John Gruber (aka Daring Fireball) has pointed out quite eloquently why it is _exactly_ that I don't link to Thurrott articles. There's literally no point, other than flamebait.

solvs
Oct 31, 2004, 02:11 AM
The only thing I agree with Thurrott about is the black earphones. But seeing as how I use a Sony headset, which are already black, instead of Apple's white ones... the point is kinda moot. Well, that and I want an iPod photo. Too bad they didn't make a black photoPod, but I guess that's what cases are for anyway (and the whole protecting it against scratches thing).

Otherwise thanks for posting a link to DaringFireball's review of Paul's review. Even PC lovers I know think Thurrott's a tool. You'd think someone with several iPods himself would know better.

Chaszmyr
Oct 31, 2004, 12:26 PM
Haha! That was a good post, and the parts about Thurott were hilarious.

munkle
Oct 31, 2004, 06:07 PM
John Gruber (aka Daring Fireball) has pointed out quite eloquently why it is _exactly_ that I don't link to Thurrott articles. There's literally no point, other than flamebait.

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been tempted a couple of times to post a link in the forums to Thurrots latest writings in sheer disbelief but realise that would only benefit him, and is prob the only reason he's still around. The guy survives on generating links by flamebaiting Mac users, don't fall for it people. Ignore his attempts at journalism, don't click on his articles, don't even bother writing in to him - just ignore him.

Mainyehc
Oct 31, 2004, 06:39 PM
This Thurrot guy is f*ckin' weird... Will you look at that...:

At WinHEC, Microsoft Focuses on the Future, Not the Worm-riddled Present

As many pundits have accurately noted, this week's WinHEC trade show was long on sweeping long-term changes that Microsoft executives would like to see happen to the PC platform, but it was short on information about the problems facing today's PC, including the seemingly unrelenting series of electronic attacks we suffer from on a regular basis. Part of the problem, I suspect is the constant delays Microsoft faces with XP SP2, which was original due in the first half of 2004, but was recently set back to late summer 2004 (though I'm hearing "July" might be the new date). XP SP2 will solve a lot of security problems--and bring a host of compatibility problems as well--but like Longhorn, it's still mired in "future technology" territory as I write this. How 'bout shipping it sometime this century, eh?

So, for this guy, Microsoft is ab-so-lu-te-ly great! But he keeps whining, and whining, and whining... Well, I would only say: "GET A MAC!"

And this one is even more interesting:

Wanna Know Why Microsoft Doesn't Improve IE? It's Your Fault

I've been stressing for months over Microsoft's refusal to improve Internet Explorer (IE) by embracing modern Web standards and adding user-requested features like tabbed browsing, but I think I've finally figured out the problem: Microsoft isn't going to fix IE when it is still the most-often-used Web browser by far, with its next nearest competitor bringing in Mac-like market share numbers. And that, folks, is the problem: By continuing to use IE, every one of you are allowing Microsoft to continue its policy of ignoring a product that, frankly, needs a lot of work. So if you're serious about seeing Microsoft improve this aging clunker, maybe the best solution is to start using something else. I recommend Mozilla Firefox.

I honestly don't get it. This moron knows that monopolies are evil and their simple existence degrades the overall quality of the products developed by monopolistic companies. Yet, he praises M$'s inferior product, Longhorn, and AT THE SAME TIME warns people that they shouldn't use another inferior product from the same company, so that it won't be so crappy? He knows it works for M$IE vs. Firefox, yet, he conveniently ignores it would also work for M$ Long(wait)horn vs. Linux??

That moron could do better for the sake of Windows and tell people to use Linux until 2006, so that M$ would finally, for the first time in their recent history, develop a decent product!!!

[edit: I suggested Linux, because asking Thurrot to suggest people the Mac as an alternative would be asking too much. However, he clearly compares the browser market to the OS market, mentioning the Mac as the choice of 1% of consumers, comparing it to Firefox, the "good" choice of another 1% of browser users, to force M$ to improve their products. Mr. Thurrot, you were caught red-handed! Ha ha, how ironic... :rolleyes:]

He got that, and he probably couldn't bear the M$IE experience anymore. Incredible, he somehow managed to surpass that "Stockholm Syndrome" thing as far as that particular application is concerned. If only he could finally realize that Windows, XPee with SP1 or 2 or not, or Longhorn are all P.'s O. S. ... It would be fun to watch Paul Thurrot switching to the Mac... :eek: ROTFLMAO :D :p ;)