PDA

View Full Version : System Preferences won't work even if extracted from tiger install dvd

PGotHimselfA40
Jun 30, 2010, 03:09 PM
I have accidentally deleted my system preferences which caused my computer to run into many different problems. I tried pacifist to get system preferences from the install dvd, but instead system preferences being a regular app, it just shows up in my applications with the "a" and a "pencil" icon. any way to fix that or other possible solutions?

MacHamster68
Jun 30, 2010, 03:24 PM
very easy solution ..reinstall osx ;)

PGotHimselfA40
Jun 30, 2010, 03:30 PM
very easy solution ..reinstall osx ;)

well i actually acquired the cd version of tiger because i couldnt get the dvd, but i cant figure out how to start the installation. when it says to click restart to begin the installation process, it restarts but does nothing once logged in and i cant make it my startup disk.

MacHamster68
Jun 30, 2010, 04:14 PM
put in cd number 1 of the cd version of tiger (should be fourteen or sixteen cd in total if remember that right )shut down , then start the Mac and at the same time hold down the alt/option key until you see the cd mounting then select it

and consider yourself lucky to have the cd kit as its rare to come by , was only sold on request

PGotHimselfA40
Jun 30, 2010, 04:29 PM
using the option key doesnt take me anywhere on startup.

MacHamster68
Jun 30, 2010, 05:33 PM
hmm thats very unusual because the alt key should force the mac to look for any bootable source , your bootdrive should appear and the disc , mind you it takes a quiet a bit time before the bootable sources appear , so keep on holding that alt key until you see something on the screen , at leat your harddrive should apear as it stil has a bootable version of osx on , and after that it will take a while then the cd should turn up too

should look like here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1310

PGotHimselfA40
Jun 30, 2010, 11:09 PM
hmm thats very unusual because the alt key should force the mac to look for any bootable source , your bootdrive should appear and the disc , mind you it takes a quiet a bit time before the bootable sources appear , so keep on holding that alt key until you see something on the screen , at leat your harddrive should apear as it stil has a bootable version of osx on , and after that it will take a while then the cd should turn up too

should look like here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1310

still starts up like normal. i feel like i hit rock bottom but im sure there are alternative solutions. i have heard that you can create a new admin account on the system and have everything as if a new computer. would this work? if so, how would i create an account without system preferences. OR should i got to my local apple store

MacHamster68
Jun 30, 2010, 11:32 PM
follow these instructions
for a new admin account
http://www.hackmac.org/?q=node/4

then all should be fine again ..apart from i am still confused about your alt key not working :confused:

and never delete anything if you are not absolute 100%sure that you really can delete it

PGotHimselfA40
Jul 1, 2010, 12:33 AM
that did not work for me either, but im sure it it would work if i could change the filesystem from read-only to read & write, but it will not let me change the permissions.

666sheep
Jul 1, 2010, 01:10 AM
What computer you have (model, CPU freq)?

PGotHimselfA40
Jul 1, 2010, 01:25 AM
What computer you have (model, CPU freq)?

heres what system profiler told me,

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G3 (PCI graphics)
Machine Model: PowerMac1,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.6)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 350 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 896 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 1.1.2f2

i wasnt exactly sure what you were talking about...

666sheep
Jul 1, 2010, 01:40 AM
OK, that's all I want to know.

Reset PRAM first, then try to boot with Install CD 1 or DVD (depending on which drive you got in your Smurf).

PGotHimselfA40
Jul 1, 2010, 01:56 AM
did not work :/ i'm positive that i performed your steps correctly.

666sheep
Jul 1, 2010, 02:52 AM
it just shows up in my applications with the "a" and a "pencil" icon. any way to fix that or other possible solutions?

Weird. I extracted Sys Prefs app from my Tiger install DVD and when I put it on desktop, it has regular icon, as it should have.

Try with attached file. Second is: try Repair permissions with Disk utility after placing file in your Apps folder.

It's also weird that your Mac did not want to boot from Install disc. Is this CD version from torrents? If so, did you burn it with Disk utility (it's needed to make .dmg bootable)?

Did you zap PRAM holding proper key until you heard second chime?

Other things worth to do to force Smurf to boot from CD/DVD (if it's bootable ofc):
- boot into Open Firmware and type:

reset-nvram [Enter]
reset-all [Enter]

Your Mac will reboot. Go again to OF and type:

boot cd:,\\:tbxi [Enter]

Your mac should start read OS from CD/DVD drive. Type all commands exactly like I wrote (without typing [Enter] ofc), with all charcters.

I got no more ideas how to help you, at least one of above tricks should work.

PGotHimselfA40
Jul 1, 2010, 01:45 PM
666sheep I just want to thank you for that attachment (and your other pieces of advice), it works perfectly. Thank you MacHamster68 for your help also.

666sheep
Jul 1, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'm glad that it worked. My guess is there could be something wrong with your Install Discs or your optical drive. Anyway, good to see that your OS is working properly now :)

MacHamster68
Jul 1, 2010, 03:01 PM
still leaves the question why the alt/option key does not bring any results , even if the cd drive would be broken and the cd unreadable , there should still come the internal harddrive coming up when holding down the alt /option key :confused:

666sheep
Jul 1, 2010, 03:03 PM
^ Indeed.