PDA

View Full Version : iPod Photo suffers audio defect

MacBytes
Oct 31, 2004, 02:31 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: iPod Photo suffers audio defect (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041031153145)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mainyehc
Oct 31, 2004, 03:00 PM
WTF??? Apple, stop cranking out defective iPods already!!!

This is NOT good... Hey, there you have it, my first and very own Apple Death Knell: I sense some disastrous times coming for Apple and the iPod. Mark my words, if Apple keeps selling defective iPods, bye bye 60% marketshare, bye bye the yet to happen "halo effect", bye bye the long awaited Apple/Mac ressurrection. If this reaches the mainstream press, the iPod hype will be over soon. Heck, I'm surprised the same defect on 4G iPods was so unheard of... Expect some manufacturers and Micro$haft to point that out, conveniently before the X-mas shopping season... Because, you know, Windows Media compliant players "play[s] for sure" :eek:

Apple may or may not have sold millions of 4G defective iPods, as it may or may not sell similar amounts of iPod photo's... Either way, they will eventually be screwed. Heck, I have an iMac G5 with a defective Delta PSU. I know Apple is replacing them, but this machine cost me $2600 (that's what the 20''er costs here in Portugal, I guess that explains why their marketshare in Western Europe declined :rolleyes: ), and you know, $2000+ machines shouldn't have this kind of defects (or any kind, for that matter). And $300+ music players shouldn't have any defects, too. And this defect is VERY serious, it's an *AUDIO* defect affecting a... music player. Great, just great. My PSU buzzes, so it's only irritating. It doesn't affect the iMac's functionality in any way. But this? This is outrageous!!

Expensive products with poor quality control... Shame on you, Apple! And there is no way any of you can justify this. Even spending millions in R&D, Apple has a lot of cash sitting in the bank. How about spending some money in QC? Is that very hard to do?? :(

It makes me sad, because I happen to be a big fan of Apple and their products... And if wasn't the "machead" I am, I wouldn't certainly buy a product from them anymore. Anyway, I just happen to detest everything M$ makes, and most PC offerings (I could almost say I'm allergic to Windows... Sure, Linux is cool, but... you know what I mean). And Sony products aren't that good either, I was fed up with those guys long ago. They are as overpriced as Apple products, only without the ease-of-use and "cool factor"...

But not everyone thinks the same way as me, and some times, I start thinking whether I'm lying when I tell people how great Apple products are... Maybe Steve's RDF is wearing out, dunno... All I know is that Apple stock is veeeery high, their best-selling product is seriously flawed, and things on the Mac front aren't getting *that* better (sure, sales are increasing, but... what about IBM? I mean, 40% increase in G5 production? It should be 100% or 200% GODDAMMIT!!! :p ). You take your own conclusions, I'm seriously concerned about Apple's future...

Wonder Boy
Oct 31, 2004, 03:40 PM
Damn, dude. time to get the meds refilled ;) . yes its a deal, but its not a big deal. there is plenty of time between now and delivery that they can fix this. i assume they know what the problem is, they'll fix it in no time and all will be right with the (apple) world.

ps- anyone think there will be a mini update before xmas?

Oct 31, 2004, 03:46 PM
that's a bummer. you'd think they would have the bugs worked out of these things by now.

macridah
Oct 31, 2004, 04:37 PM
looks like another iPod software update coming soon .... but probably only for the 4g's. Hook up us 3g owners.

Chaszmyr
Oct 31, 2004, 05:14 PM
ps- anyone think there will be a mini update before xmas?

With the possible exception of the eMac, I doubt we'll see any hardware upgrades before MWSF.

nagromme
Oct 31, 2004, 05:21 PM
I know iPodLounge likes to keep at this story... generates hits I suppose... but this is NOT some problem with every 4G iPod. The problem is the EXCEPTION, despite what various Chicken Littles would have you believe. Of COURSE people with the problem are more likely to post in forums--or write to iPodLounge than people who don't. And some of the people who DO report the problem are in fact noticing something else, like the physical spinning of the HD or defects in their MP3s.

SOME units have been defective... and then repaired.

People act like every iPod has a problem... or maybe they should switch to a brand that NEVER needs any warranty service ;)

iPodLounge received ONE iPod Photo needing warranty repair. Bad luck for them, and they'll gladly turn it to good luck (hits on banner ads). But let's keep a little perspective. They're reporting a true issue, and that's just honest reporting. But the SCOPE of the problem is a lot of smoke without fire as near as I can tell.

I, for one, am still buying--and am thankful to iPodLounge for their help in identifying a problem should I be one of the unlucky few.

I'm certainly not waiting for Apple to "fix" this (meaning what? that no iPods ever have defects needing warranty service again?) because that will make me get a working, perfect iPod even LATER than if I get one now and happen to need service.

Now cue the people who say that a flood of forum postings (not that I've even seen THAT) proves that most iPods have this months-old issue.

Or the people who say Apple "owes" it to the public to send out a press release announcing that some fractional number of iPod Photos (like some other brands of player too) might have a slight occasional static sound. :D

Or the people who act like Apple has taken some "official position" to "ignore" this occasional problem.

JeffTL
Oct 31, 2004, 05:32 PM
Funny how my supposedly inferior 3G never has any problems.

Mainyehc
Oct 31, 2004, 05:51 PM
Okay, perhaps the guys at iPodlounge are exaggerating with their article. However, there were a lot of posts... Now, does every single iPod user know iPodlounge.com? I mean, what are the chances of that many iPod users reporting that very issue in iPodlounge's forums? Apple has sold plenty of iPods in the last quarter, 2M it seems. It's obvious that even a small percentage of TWO MILLION is a lot of iPods, but how many iPod users would go to the iPodlounge forums to read about it and report the issue? Most of them had their iPods replaced at their Apple store or retailer, good for them. And what about people who had to do that more than once?

This all seems preety weird to me. And you know, as I said, other companies might take advantage of this situation, and I can understand why Apple hasn't made any comment on this issue, it's precisely because of that. What I DON'T get is why didn't they solve it already? This isn't good for Apple, IMHO.

Sorry for the rants and long posts :D Maybe it's the buzzing PSU that's hypnotising me :eek:

Wonder Boy
Oct 31, 2004, 07:38 PM
With the possible exception of the eMac, I doubt we'll see any hardware upgrades before MWSF.

i dont think so either. i bought a blue mini last night for my mom just in case of a mad rush for them come thanksgiving. it there are new ones, i can return it. if there are no new releases, then im all set.

Stella
Oct 31, 2004, 08:02 PM
ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE.

Apple had this problem with the 4g iPod. Apple have had ample time to sort the problem. It is pure incompetence that later iPod hardware is experiencing the same problem. Do Apple not learn from its previous problems? Absolutely Not.

I know iPodLounge likes to keep at this story... generates hits I suppose... but this is NOT some problem with every 4G iPod. The problem is the EXCEPTION, despite what various Chicken Littles would have you believe. Of COURSE people with the problem are more likely to post in forums--or write to iPodLounge than people who don't. And some of the people who DO report the problem are in fact noticing something else, like the physical spinning of the HD or defects in their MP3s.

nagromme
Oct 31, 2004, 10:02 PM
But please tell me how big this problem is. Meaningful numbers, not a handful of anecdotes.

If it's one iPod in 500, say, that need warranty service for this, then I don't think I'll get upset enough to affect my buying.

I'd also like to know the evidence of Apple ignoring this problem. Do we know the precise cause?

We do know that the one iPod Photo that showed the problem showed it LESS than those 4Gs with the same problem. If that's true AND fewer iPods are now affected, that would be an example of Apple responding well.

If you demand that ALL iPods be perfect out of the box, I'm afraid you'll never find a product you can buy. If you demand MOST be perfect... they already are.

So again it comes down to numbers--which we don't have. iPodLounge is a hugely popular and widely-publicized site, so getting reports there is not remotely surprising or alarming. Imaging TELLING people how to notice something they might never have thought about, and ASKING them specifically if they now have the problem. That's what iPodLounge did--very useful of them--and I'd have expected nearly ALL of their responses to be people who have the problem (or who think they do). Someone WITH a problem is motivated to write in... very few people would bother writing in with "I have no problem."

So even a very rare problem should get mostly negative reports when a site seeks out people with the problem.

And yet even in that slanted case, IPL still only got about 40% of correspondents saying they had the problem. THAT number is very encouraging to me. What motivated those 60% to bother writing in that all was well? Who knows, but it there are bound to be far more who didn't bother.

Also, in IPL's ~40%, they counted people who bought multiple 4G iPods. Someone who bought 5 and got 4 good ones was still counted as one negative report and no positive reports.

Being aware of the issue is good--it has indeed happened to some fraction of users, and now we know how to detect it in case we might not have notices. So thanks, IPL. I'll be sure to check mine. But going all the way and getting really upset at Apple seems pretty strange, though. I have seen no facts to support that extreme reaction.

hob
Oct 31, 2004, 11:01 PM
I'd agree with a couple of the other posters. I love OS X and I love my 3G iPod... but when it comes to hardware quality... I think Apple has a bit of a shortcoming.

I've run through 4 iBooks with Logic Board problems, and now my PowerBooks casing is starting to warp. I can understand "issues" with iPod batteries - they're consumables. That's ok, but when stuff starts repeating itself (such as the 4G Audio Defect appearing in the iPod Photo's...) it just makes me annoyed.

Hob

nagromme
Nov 1, 2004, 11:51 AM
It's no consolation to anyone who has a problem--I know that, and frustrating failures can happen with any manufacturer. But large-scale surveys from Consumer Reports consistently show Apple to have THE highest reliability and lowest hardware failure rate of any PC maker. That's true overall, AND in both desktops and laptops broken down separately too.

Also, FYI, the iPod Photo is virtually identical inside to the 4G--ipoding.com dissected one. It's not a "new generation" of the kind to get worked up about "not fixing" things--despite being released later than the other 4Gs.

EGT
Nov 1, 2004, 05:52 PM
going all the way and getting really upset at Apple seems pretty strange, though. I have seen no facts to support that extreme reaction.

Ok cool i do see where you are coming from but i arranged a service repair (ipod service plan) from apple months ago. I've rang them numerous times and they've told me they're still waiting to ship the box.

I mean come on!! I ordered my iPod as soon as it was released (when was that, July/August?)
It seems to me apple has been very reluctant to get this sorted. Especially now that its been carried through 3 generations of iPod (it was reported in some later 3rd gen models).

I dont like forking out £300, getting a defective unit and not have it repaired for nearly 3 months.
Its not like the backlight is too bright/dark or its not the right colour, or there is too much of a "rainbow" effect on the screen, or it came with a sticky residue on it or it had a few scratches on it or the margin between the plastic and backplate was slightly open ... all fairly minor (fixable) in my opinion but to actually have one with a particularly noticeable audio defect problem. :mad:
if i try and fix it the warranty is out the window!

I don't think it would affect apples iPod sales in the slightest if it went without fixing, most people wouldn’t really care less but i do and i think everyone else with the audio problem should too.

You should care since you are ordering one with the potential that it'll have the audio problem. What if you get an iPod with the audio problem? I don’t think you should worry about the number of other people with the problem or the “facts” of it all. I’d just worry about yourself and get what you paid for!

It's like a TV with a bad picture that you can't get right or something… maybe a LCD monitor with broken pixels only worse.

It makes listening to music irritating.

It's just not right.

Mainyehc
Nov 2, 2004, 11:35 AM
It's like a TV with a bad picture that you can't get right or something… maybe a LCD monitor with broken pixels only worse.

It makes listening to music irritating.

It's just not right.

I had a 17'' iMac G4 with a "dead" green pixel. Its green component was completely turned off when you turned on the screen, and then, it would slowly light up, until it reached 100% brightness, and then it stayed that way. It was irritating, yes. But the thing that bothered me most was that that iMac cost me $2600 just like my new G5 20'', but unlike this one's PSU issue, as some of you may know, I had no other choice than cope with it.

The only optimistic thing I can say is that as long as Apple replaces defective products, fine (I will always have a gripe with their dead pixel policy. They won't even disclose what amount of dead pixels they consider "acceptable", WTF?) . And I hope they're thouroughly investigating this issue; it looks more like a design flaw to me... Remember the Rio Carbon?