Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentxavier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
I am curious to see if anyone else experiences a disconnect of their internet with steam running. When i close steam the internet works again after a while but when steam is running it stops. It seems to have happened with the latest mac update but I am not sure.

Rich1963

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Funny you bring this up. It happened to me last night when I launched Steam. There was a Team Fortress 2 update that began downloading, but the store wouldn't load. Then I noticed that Safari had stopped loading web pages. I checked my DSL modem (front lights) and everything was fine, but after the download finished there was no more internet activity. The mac reported it had an active IP and was connected to the internet.

I finally rebooted the modem and everything went back to normal. I just chalked it up to a Qwest hiccup, and carried on with my evening.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Noticed this two nights ago. When Steam is performing a download iTunes can only download one item at a time. Trying simultaneous downloads in iTunes under the same conditions will result in the iTunes download speed slowing to a crawl whilst Steam will grind to a complete halt.

zao8350

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
happens to me all the time. in mac and windows. it is quite frustrating when i want to pull up the webrowser in game and can't connect. this is in game and just dloading by the way. it doesn't when i'm playing an online game though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.