Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbyc23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
Ireland
Howdy Folks,

I run a recording studio here in Ireland and I generate quite a large amount of audio files which need to be backed up.
I've been trawling the net looking for a backup utility which can automatically create compressed files of a size which can fit onto individual CD's.

Anyone got any ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Robby

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Use DVD's, there very cheap and can store as much 6 CD's on 1 DVD. I looked for some products and i think any of these would work for you.

For files between 1MB-500MB - Get a CD/RW they are very cheap and you can get cd's anywere.

For files between 500MB-4GB - Get a DVD/RW they are great and blank DVD'd are cheap (little more then cd's).

For files between 4GB-????GB - Get External hard disk, i found a 250GB modle for -$400.00 here is the link:

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Network_storage/4007-3190_9-0.html

If you need more space then that i would recomend you get tape storage, i am not sure how much space they have but i know its more the +1k GB. The price would also be very high, Gool Luck.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I would suggest external firewire harddrive. They come with backup software that makes it completely automated for you and you don't have to worry about space.

robbyc23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
Ireland
Yup...

I'm thinking about tape storage alright.

I have two external 500Gb drives, which are fine, but I also have to do individual backups for each band, which usually amounts to around 20Gb.

Might invest in a DVD drive soon, sounds like a good plan.

I have been using Data backup 2 which can compress a days recording into one large file, but what software could I use to chop this file up across a few CD/DVD's?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
You may want to look into Apple's Backup (part of .Mac) or Dantz Retrospect. Both allow spanning across multiple CDs, but I am not sure if it will break up a file.

robbyc23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
Ireland
Spanning!

That's the keyword I was looking for!

I'll continue the hunt...

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.