PDA

View Full Version : I crash everything, even OS X

slooksterPSV
Oct 31, 2004, 06:03 PM
Ok, with Windows I've crashed a lot of programs. I don't know what I've done, but they just crash on me. Well, on my PB I have Jaguar. I was working on something, saved it, put my computer to sleep, woke it up an hour later, started clicking on a few programs and crashed OS X. It said something like: Please restart your Powerbook. ... FF FF FF FF FF FF

With Windows PC's I crash programs faster than I can install them. OS X, I've crashed a few programs but thats because they won't open certain files (emulators opening ROMs for example, then again I ported them from XP to OS X). So, yeah, I've crashed the most stable OS. Only happened once, but it happened.

musicpyrite
Oct 31, 2004, 06:07 PM
Try repairing your permissions, updating prebindings, and doing your daily, weekly, and monthly crons. Especially after something like a kernel panic.

slooksterPSV
Oct 31, 2004, 06:11 PM
prebinding??? crons??? I don't have any cron jobs running that I know of. But what the heck are Prebindings?

musicpyrite
Oct 31, 2004, 07:25 PM
Open the Terminal (Utilites>Termianl) and type:

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force
I highly recommend rebooting after typing that.

Also type into the Terminal:
sudo periodic daily monthly weekly

And after every time you install something, I'd recommend you repair permissions. Open the Disk Utility (Utilites>Disk Utilities) select your hard drive(s) and click the button labeled 'repair permissions'.

slooksterPSV
Nov 1, 2004, 08:37 AM
Wow, did you want me to email you the log? This thing is huge, but I think I saved it :confused: It had a ton of things that have to do redo_prebinding, it says that the files aren't right with some of them and that. How do I fix this?

mymemory
Nov 1, 2004, 08:56 AM
Well, I crashed Final Cut Pro twice under OSX but never under OS9. :confused:

Sun Baked
Nov 1, 2004, 09:03 AM
After a thread like this, no way am I letting you borrow my car.

And stay away from the driver's seat of any vehicle that has Windows built into it. ;)

wPod
Nov 1, 2004, 09:39 AM
So, yeah, I've crashed the most stable OS. Only happened once, but it happened.

heh. . . only once? . . . amature! you know nothing. i get <loud echoing voice>'THE POWER SCREEN OF DEATH DEATH death death. . . </loud echoing voice> at least once a month! though recently i have been getting it more frequently. i have repaired premesions done everything everyone is telling you. but it still happens. my problem is the USB. i plug my PB in and unplug the USB frequently. depending on if i am 'docked' at home or if i am out and about. apparently this causes a kernal crash easily. that combined with running a LOT of programs (11 open right now) on a small amount of ram (only 256) causes me a lot of problems. i dont know what to say. nothing can be perfect. but it is much better than a windows machine (which i cause to crash at least once a day when i am working with one all day) i think there just exsist people like me that are very intense and expect a lot out of their computers. people like my little bro who surfs the net, sends e-mail, uses iTunes and occasionally uses word has never seen a crash on his iBook (my old iBook :-) ) it could be worse!