Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Ok, with Windows I've crashed a lot of programs. I don't know what I've done, but they just crash on me. Well, on my PB I have Jaguar. I was working on something, saved it, put my computer to sleep, woke it up an hour later, started clicking on a few programs and crashed OS X. It said something like:
Please restart your Powerbook. ... FF FF FF FF FF FF

With Windows PC's I crash programs faster than I can install them. OS X, I've crashed a few programs but thats because they won't open certain files (emulators opening ROMs for example, then again I ported them from XP to OS X). So, yeah, I've crashed the most stable OS. Only happened once, but it happened.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Try repairing your permissions, updating prebindings, and doing your daily, weekly, and monthly crons. Especially after something like a kernel panic.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Open the Terminal (Utilites>Termianl) and type:

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force
I highly recommend rebooting after typing that.

Also type into the Terminal:
sudo periodic daily monthly weekly

And after every time you install something, I'd recommend you repair permissions. Open the Disk Utility (Utilites>Disk Utilities) select your hard drive(s) and click the button labeled 'repair permissions'.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Wow, did you want me to email you the log? This thing is huge, but I think I saved it :confused: It had a ton of things that have to do redo_prebinding, it says that the files aren't right with some of them and that. How do I fix this?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
After a thread like this, no way am I letting you borrow my car.

And stay away from the driver's seat of any vehicle that has Windows built into it. ;)

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
slooksterPSV said:
So, yeah, I've crashed the most stable OS. Only happened once, but it happened.

heh. . . only once? . . . amature! you know nothing. i get <loud echoing voice>'THE POWER SCREEN OF DEATH DEATH death death. . . </loud echoing voice> at least once a month! though recently i have been getting it more frequently. i have repaired premesions done everything everyone is telling you. but it still happens. my problem is the USB. i plug my PB in and unplug the USB frequently. depending on if i am 'docked' at home or if i am out and about. apparently this causes a kernal crash easily. that combined with running a LOT of programs (11 open right now) on a small amount of ram (only 256) causes me a lot of problems. i dont know what to say. nothing can be perfect. but it is much better than a windows machine (which i cause to crash at least once a day when i am working with one all day) i think there just exsist people like me that are very intense and expect a lot out of their computers. people like my little bro who surfs the net, sends e-mail, uses iTunes and occasionally uses word has never seen a crash on his iBook (my old iBook :) ) it could be worse!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.