PDA

View Full Version : Why does my iPhone 4 email pics sideways/upside down ?

perryj
Jun 30, 2010, 09:24 PM
When I mail a pic from my iPhone 4 the recipient sees it upside down or sideways !! Arrrhhhh ! What's going on ?

perryj
Jul 1, 2010, 06:16 AM
Does anyone have this problem or is it just me ?

NWI73
Jul 1, 2010, 07:12 AM
I noticed you have to turn the phone sideways to take regular photos that send right side up. If you take pictures with the phone held upright (camera on top and home button on the bottom) then it sends the pictures sideways. Found this out by experimentation!

powaking
Jul 1, 2010, 07:33 AM
Videos too. They also show up sideways when you view them from the phone via Explorer. There's a bunch of people with this issue on Apples forums too.

bobright
Jul 13, 2010, 04:35 PM
Same here do you guys have iPhone 4s? I noticed it with my new iPhone but never with the 3GS.

What is up with that? How can I fix this crap?!

Sledutah
Jul 13, 2010, 04:52 PM
Same here do you guys have iPhone 4s? I noticed it with my new iPhone but never with the 3GS.

What is up with that? How can I fix this crap?!

Yes, same problem here. I'm sure if Apple would make a statement about all the problems they are having, they would say the're going to fix it with the phantom upgrade they talked about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

bobright
Jul 13, 2010, 05:07 PM
So what is the fix have you contacted Apple? I better not even hear manually rotate each picture upside down

bobright
Jul 15, 2010, 12:31 AM
Nobody???

Statusnone88
Jul 15, 2010, 01:46 AM
Hold the phone in landscape and snap your pictures or take your video if you plan on transferring them to another medium aside from your iPhone. Even if they don't rotate, they look like complete crap.

bobright
Jul 18, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hold the phone in landscape and snap your pictures or take your video if you plan on transferring them to another medium aside from your iPhone. Even if they don't rotate, they look like complete crap.

So you are saying there is a right and wrong way to take pictures, thus one way they will look (quality) like crap?

phrint
Jul 18, 2010, 07:11 PM
The issue here is Apple's "multitasking" feature causing havoc. If your camera app is in the queue then any pics taken in landscape or portrait mode will freeze there. Had this issue happen last night when taking pictures at dinner. Simply kill the camera app from the queue and everything will be back to normal. I am hopeful Apple realizes this is an issue. Also, I don't like having to refresh apps like Facebook and Echofon every time I log into them. I have to kill the apps out of the multitasking queue in order for them to refresh automatically.

jav6454
Jul 18, 2010, 07:13 PM
When I mail a pic from my iPhone 4 the recipient sees it upside down or sideways !! Arrrhhhh ! What's going on ?

Do you attach the image or copy/paste the image?

TheConfuzed1
Jul 18, 2010, 07:15 PM
This isn't new, and it isn't an issue with multitasking.

The iPhone is designed to be used as a wide lens camera.

Turn the phone sideways when taking pics or video if you intend to mail them.

Your phone will display them correctly, because it "knows" how you took them, but the computer that you're sending them to does not "understand."

This has been consistent on every iPhone since the first.

DynaFXD
Jul 18, 2010, 09:21 PM
This has been consistent on every iPhone since the first.

I disagree. It was not until the iP4 that I noticed upside down pictures on my computer. Now I have not done extensive testing before as it was never needed on my old 3G, so I'll leave the door open that maybe it IS some legacy issue as you suggest. But I now have several videos and pictures on my computer that are disoriented from the iP4 (or perhaps iOS4, I never installed it on my 3G). At the least, when saving them down to the "disk" I would think the OS would flag the correct viewing orientation in some way. If that information is not being captured correctly then that is a short coming of the OS/App.

Funny, with all the attention being directed towards this senseless (IMO) antenna issue, there does seem to be some overlooked genuine nips-and-tucks that are needed to the whole system in general. I do love it, but it is rough around the edges.

Cheers

Snowman3459
Jul 18, 2010, 10:40 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=949138&highlight=

mgamber
Jul 18, 2010, 11:15 PM
I upload pix to a picture site using the iPhone email app. Along with the pic is a bunch of metadata and one of the fields is "Orientation". If the picture is rotated from the original orientation, this field exists and contains a value of 90. 180 and 270. I suppose this is what the app did, not what you need to do to make it look normal. If the picture is unchanged from what you took, the field is missing entirely. Why does it do this? Who knows. But I'm guessing picture software is supposed to look at this field to determine what to do with it. More importantly, it would be nice if I had the option to turn it off and just send the picture the way I took it. I never noticed it before because I used another app to send full sized pix before and it didn't screw with the pix in that manner. Since iOS4 gives you the option of sending the full sized pix using the stock email app, that's what I started using and that's when it started doing this.

It has nothing to do with multitasking because it's not a mistake, the software knows what it did.

PhoneI
Jul 19, 2010, 12:24 AM
This is the way it has always been, since iPhone 1.

samcraig
Jul 19, 2010, 07:10 AM
This is the way it has always been, since iPhone 1.

so that makes it a non issue? I don't understand. Just because something seems buggy then it's not any less buggy now. The only difference is - you're basically saying Apple doesn't care to fix it or offer a way to rotate the image before sending.

chargit
Jul 19, 2010, 10:17 AM
I disagree. It was not until the iP4 that I noticed upside down pictures on my computer. Now I have not done extensive testing before as it was never needed on my old 3G, so I'll leave the door open that maybe it IS some legacy issue as you suggest. But I now have several videos and pictures on my computer that are disoriented from the iP4 (or perhaps iOS4, I never installed it on my 3G). At the least, when saving them down to the "disk" I would think the OS would flag the correct viewing orientation in some way. If that information is not being captured correctly then that is a short coming of the OS/App.

Funny, with all the attention being directed towards this senseless (IMO) antenna issue, there does seem to be some overlooked genuine nips-and-tucks that are needed to the whole system in general. I do love it, but it is rough around the edges.

Cheers

sorry but I disagree with you! I have a 3gs and it is still on 3.1.3 and I have the same issue. it has nothing to do with the multitasking at all.

mgamber
Jul 19, 2010, 03:24 PM
so that makes it a non issue? I don't understand. Just because something seems buggy then it's not any less buggy now. The only difference is - you're basically saying Apple doesn't care to fix it or offer a way to rotate the image before sending.

I wouldn't call it a "bug" because it's intentional as evidenced by the Orientation field. If you don't like and don't want any doubt as to how the picture is being sent, there is 3rd party software which will send it in it's original orientation with no metadata. Use that instead of Apple's email.

iPhone Addict
Jul 19, 2010, 05:01 PM
If I want to make a picture show up in the right-side-up orientation do I have any other option besides only taking pictures with the volume buttons on the bottom and the home button on the right side of the phone?

I'm another person who would swear I never had this problem on my iPhone 3G or 3GS and only seem to have noticed it on my iPhone 4....but if others are saying that its always been there, I'll accept that.

iPhone Addict
Jul 19, 2010, 06:02 PM
As an aside, I tried searching for people complaining of this problem in previous iPhone release years (2007-2009) and can't seem to find anyone who has had this problem, which makes me think even moreso that this problem is a iOS 4.0 problem...

For users who are on a pre-4.0 firmware version, can you try again to take a picture with the phone in its normal top-bottom position (home button on the bottom) and see what the picture's orientation is when you email it to someone? Thank you!

When I email pics to myself in Gmail, the thumbnail always shows the correct orientation however when I click on 'view' to see the full size image, it is always rotated CCW 90 degrees.

chargit
Jul 19, 2010, 08:33 PM
As an aside, I tried searching for people complaining of this problem in previous iPhone release years (2007-2009) and can't seem to find anyone who has had this problem, which makes me think even moreso that this problem is a iOS 4.0 problem...

For users who are on a pre-4.0 firmware version, can you try again to take a picture with the phone in its normal top-bottom position (home button on the bottom) and see what the picture's orientation is when you email it to someone? Thank you!

When I email pics to myself in Gmail, the thumbnail always shows the correct orientation however when I click on 'view' to see the full size image, it is always rotated CCW 90 degrees.

you are not listening.............IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE 4.0 SOFTWARE...........I have a 3gs and several 3g's and none are running 4.0 and all have the same issue. just because the OP is the first to bring this up does not mean its not the case. it is not a bug its the way it was designed. now lets let this dog lie.

iPhone Addict
Jul 19, 2010, 11:40 PM
Ok, I definitely believe you that it is on previous firmwares also, but my question is this:

If I want a picture to be properly oriented right side up, do I have any alternative other than holding the iPhone with the home button on the right side and the camera lens on the left side for every single shot?

I don't understand the 'orientation' feature if I can only shoot a picture from one position of the camera.

Please forgive me for not understanding, I simply am trying to figure out how to best use the phone's camera.

Thank you.

Phantom1812
Jul 20, 2010, 08:43 AM
What really has annoyed me about the updates, is that images no longer email/send with the filename. I get photo1, photo2...so if you choose to send a couple in a few emails, it's a pain to save them to another device without effectively being forced to rename every file.

mishmish
Jul 26, 2010, 01:28 PM
This is NOT how it has always been. I never had this problem until the latest update to my 3GS. I don't know if it's the upgrade or something else, but it was not happening before - so it is something new for me. I used to take vertical pics all the time and email them with no orientation problem at all. They posted vertical or horizontal depending on how I took them, now vertical pics turn sideways all the time.

iPhone Addict
Aug 11, 2010, 03:16 PM
This is NOT how it has always been. I never had this problem until the latest update to my 3GS. I don't know if it's the upgrade or something else, but it was not happening before - so it is something new for me. I used to take vertical pics all the time and email them with no orientation problem at all. They posted vertical or horizontal depending on how I took them, now vertical pics turn sideways all the time.

The more I think about this, the more I agree with you. SOMETHING has changed recently from Firmware 3.1.3 onwards I believe...

I'm looking at old pictures that I emailed myself from my 3GS which was using F/W 3.1.2 and I KNOW I show the picture with the phone oriented in portrait mode, and the picture when viewed on my computer is oriented properly...

However, now when I shoot a picture with the phone in portrait orientation, the picture on my computer is always rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise.

What the heck did Apple do??

EDIT: Here's more information -- apparently Apple changed the way the software stores pictures on the phone. Link to Apple forums topic (http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2502491&start=15&tstart=0)

Auburn
Aug 12, 2010, 08:19 PM
I've just switched from a 3G to a 4, and immediately noticed the change in behaviour - portrait photos emailed directly from the 4's main camera are received as landscape. This was not the case with the 3G, and here's why:

Photographs taken with the iPhone4 main camera do not include thumbnail orientation tags

Dump the Exif info from any picture taken on a 3G with IOS3, and you'll see

Camera
Model : iPhone 3G
Orientation (start point): Right Upper
X Resolution : 72

Thumbnail
Thumb Compression : JPEG Compression
Thumb Orientation : Right Upper
Thumb X Resolution : 72

While on a 4, you get

Camera
Make : Apple
Model : iPhone
Orientation (start point): Upper Left

Thumbnail

Note that in the 3G image, there are separate orientation tags for thumbnail and main image, while the 4 (listed as just iPhone) incorrectly omits the thumbnail orientation, but includes two image orientation tags.

iPhoto is *incorrectly* interpreting the double orientation (i.e. displaying the wrongly tagged image incorrectly), whereas Finder's Quicklook (and every other image application out there) is *correctly* displaying the wrongly tagged image.

I suspect the bug crept into iOS4, and has gone unnoticed because it doesn't manifest itself in iPhoto.

petegas
Nov 2, 2010, 01:55 PM
Good sleuth work. Make sure you report those info details to Apple through their feedback page.

I've just switched from a 3G to a 4, and immediately noticed the change in behaviour - portrait photos emailed directly from the 4's main camera are received as landscape. This was not the case with the 3G, and here's why:

Photographs taken with the iPhone4 main camera do not include thumbnail orientation tags

Dump the Exif info from any picture taken on a 3G with IOS3, and you'll see

Camera
Model : iPhone 3G
Orientation (start point): Right Upper

Thumbnail
Thumb Orientation : Right Upper

While on a 4, you get

Camera
Make : Apple
Model : iPhone

Thumbnail

Note that in the 3G image, there are separate orientation tags for thumbnail and main image, while the 4 (listed as just iPhone) incorrectly omits the thumbnail orientation, but includes two image orientation tags.

iPhoto is *incorrectly* interpreting the double orientation (i.e. displaying the wrongly tagged image incorrectly), whereas Finder's Quicklook (and every other image application out there) is *correctly* displaying the wrongly tagged image.

I suspect the bug crept into iOS4, and has gone unnoticed because it doesn't manifest itself in iPhoto.

pxforti
Nov 3, 2010, 08:52 PM
If you had a full 35mm camara and turned it sideways or upside down, the image would be sideways or upside down when you viewed it. Can you expect more from a phone camera?

petegas
Nov 3, 2010, 11:11 PM
Of course you can when the phone knows its orientation and can easily set the image information appropriately. Every digital camera these days knows if you are shooting in portrait or landscape.

If you had a full 35mm camara and turned it sideways or upside down, the image would be sideways or upside down when you viewed it. Can you expect more from a phone camera?

mishmish
Nov 4, 2010, 09:36 AM
Sorry - was trying to delete my comment!

ndmx52
Mar 10, 2011, 10:02 AM
I was hoping that 4.3 would fix this, but it didn't.

Anyone else still having this problem like I am?

iPhone Addict
Mar 10, 2011, 11:12 AM
The "problem" is still there. However some people on the forum don't agree its even a problem.

For me it simply comes down to the fact that the iPhone should be able to tell which orientation it is taking a picture in, and be able to export that orientation properly to all photo software that uses orientation handling.

The only "fix" is to always hold the phone in landscape with the home button on the right side so that your picture show up oriented properly.

EMQ2011
May 1, 2011, 12:39 PM
The problem I had was that photos I took using the original iphone camera app and several other paid 3rd party camera apps would flip photos that I sent to people via email directly from my phone. Photos imported into iPhoto just fine, my problem is with emailing.

The $1.99 app Camera+ seems to have solved this problem for me. I recently got an iphone and thought it would be fun to email photos to friends and family. Of course, when they started getting upside down photos, they thought I just didn't know how to work my new gadget.

It is annoying that the original iphone camera flips photos for some of us but this is already the second iphone original app that I have replaced with a 3rd part fee/cheap app.

thecravinglife
May 6, 2011, 08:42 PM
I take a lot of pics on my iPhone. I don't usually email pics so I haven't been told by friends/family that they are coming in sideways.

My issue is when I'm uploading my photos to my blog (Squarespace). They always come in sideways. I view them in Preview, they look fine. I upload them to Squarespace, and they're sideways. I then go back to Preview, rotate them 90 degrees counterclockwise in order to counteract the problem in the first place, and they still appear sideways.

Clearly the difficulty here is that what I see in Preview is not what's happening at Squarespace, and despite altering them in Preview, nothing changes.

So...

Are the only fixes to

a) always shoot in landscape mode, or

b) use a 3rd party app like Camera+?

Both kinda suck. Seems like a royal pain in the butt, especially when what you see on the screen in Preview, sideways or portrait, doesn't change anything on the blog side of things. I haven't tested this out in another online service like Flikr...has anyone else?

Squarespace support peeps sent the following message in reply to my question:

"Squarespace can't rotate the images, so these need to be properly oriented before uploading them to your page. Note that some image programs will auto-correct the orientation when you preview the image, so you need to be sure that the image is rotated and then the file saved with the changes.

We have a list of editing programs you can use for this if you need..."

That doesn't help at all. If my photo editing app on my computer is auto-rotating, how do I know this? Can I turn that off somehow to see it in its "naked" form?

Problem is, no matter the editing program I use, things are still sideways. And to have to edit each image individually from the iPhone in order to be able to upload it to online viewing by friends/family, well, that's a major negative and seems rather "unApple-like".

I have an iPhone 3GS running the latest version of 4.0.

Anyone found anything else out recently?

jprit
Sep 20, 2011, 10:21 AM
I'm sure nobody is checking this as old as it is, but the only way I've found to email the pics correctly is with pics I've taken in landscape mode w/ the home button on the right.

JonnyF11
Oct 15, 2011, 04:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

In my opinion this argument, for Apple, fall's down with the introduction of iOS5.

I say this because now you can use the volume button to take a picture. (yay!?)

Which way would you naturally do this? I would imagine with the button at the top of the camera (whilst in horizontal oriention of course).

However, using this logic, all your mailed / windows pictures will be upside down!

I love the iDevices, but surely this is not another "hold different" saga!? (the difference between a camera and iDevice is you can't mistake which way you are holding a camera)

I would have thought it was super simple for Apple to adjust the photo's charactaristics to reflect the orientation?

I also bet there will be a lot more complaints, now that we have the shutter button in use.

One more thing (ah, Jobs), I know this isnt a great deal for photos, because you can just rotate them... but its a rpita for videos!

Jon.

marine0816
Oct 15, 2011, 06:27 PM
bump... this is stupid, u mean to tell me im still holding the camera wrong???

soulreaver99
Oct 22, 2011, 12:05 PM
Just noticed this problem too. Pictures look right side up on iPhone 4 or when you share on Facebook even view on your computer but they are flipped upside down when you email it!!!! WTF?!

iPhoneBurger
Oct 24, 2011, 01:01 AM
It absolutely cracks me up how many people here have decided that this is not a bug. Are you people serious????

Just because you've somehow lost your marbles and decided that this is proper image handling, doesn't make it reality.

Allow me to get ALL OF US back to basic common sense:

----> The picture should show up the way you took it <----

Think about that long, and hard. (thats what she said).

Now think about it some more. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp.

As many of you know, there are tons of situations where a Landscape photo is not possible. Many times because of whats going on in the photo. Sometimes Landscape is necessary. SOmetimes Portrait is - Hey! - what you want!

Allow me to phrase this another way: If Portrait was never intended as an option, then it shouldn't allow you to take pictures in Portrait mode in the first place.

ERGO: :::::::::::::::::: BUG.

If you're going to have a portrait / rotatable camera then you better be emailing photos the way they were intended by the user. There is no logic on this earth that justifies turning portrait images to landscape.

PERIOD.

It absolutely astounds me the intelligence / lack of / logic / thinking skills of a large percent of the human population. This thread is no exception. To all of you who said the "solution" is to take all your pics in Landscape, and that this isn't a bug: you're wrong.

rydama
Nov 14, 2011, 06:58 PM
I too was very frustrated by this sideways picture problem. Neither apple or google (actually hotmail and yahoo have the problem too) seems to care about changing things to solve this problem. So I developed an app, Rotate Mailer, that emails your picture with the correct orientation. You can check it out in the app store.

bjt
Nov 15, 2011, 10:35 AM
Another 3rd party app that solves this problem is "SnapBot" (currently free in the app store, I am not affiliated). It is a very simple app that lets you select up to 4 pictures and email them. They consistently appear RIGHT-SIDE-UP to the recipient no matter how they were taken.

I spent quite a few hours searching for and testing a good solution to this problem and I hope my post saves others that time.

It is unbelievable to me that Apple has let this bug remain unfixed for so long. Much to my embarrassment, I have been unknowingly emailing sideways pictures for 8 months! I am currently on iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0.1 and it is still a problem. When I go back and pull up older picture emails sent from an iPhone 3G on iOS 3.1.?, they are fine. Hopefully Apple will someday fix their bug. Meanwhile, SnapBot is a good workaround.

DNAppleGold
Nov 27, 2011, 02:13 AM
Another 3rd party app that solves this problem is "SnapBot" (currently free in the app store, I am not affiliated). It is a very simple app that lets you select up to 4 pictures and email them. They consistently appear RIGHT-SIDE-UP to the recipient no matter how they were taken.

I spent quite a few hours searching for and testing a good solution to this problem and I hope my post saves others that time.

That app you found did the trick. While it doesn't solve the underlying problem, thanks for finding a decent work around.

SgtSmith21
Dec 7, 2011, 08:00 AM
I only use the Camera+ app now for all of my pics. I moved the built-in Camera app over to a page that I'll never see. When you email the pic from Camera+, it doesn't rotate it sideways. The app is awesome too for touching up the photos before you send them.

Modest
Feb 25, 2012, 01:31 PM
I had this problem with certain images in Thunderbird. I believe the EXIF is being ignored.

Here's a fix. Open the image in image editing software (e.g., Photoshop). If the image looks correct (oriented the way you prefer), do the following:

select all (command-a)
copy (command-c)
create new docutment (command-n)
paste (command-v)
rename and save as jpeg

This method works in Thunderbird, and I believe I remember reading it will work for iPhone images, too.

BobZx
Mar 27, 2012, 03:12 AM
To batch rotate upside down iPhone Photos this tutorial is very useful

http://www.sync-iphone.com/photos/fix-iphone-4s-upside-down-photos-solution.html

fcseh
Mar 26, 2013, 12:32 PM
Workaround is to use a different app for taking and mailing a picture.
Already taken photo can be reloaded and mailed.
Use for example PS Express, or Camera plus, or Camera awesome, or Instragram )
This is my conclusion. Any easier way to fix this issue ?:apple:

mycomputersux
Sep 14, 2013, 04:55 PM
I found a "work around" if you use the crop feature, you don't have to actually crop the picture... just slide the frame in and out then save the photo. It will email and upload correctly.(tested on an iphone 4s)

scot.self
Sep 21, 2013, 04:33 PM
I found a "work around" if you use the crop feature, you don't have to actually crop the picture... just slide the frame in and out then save the photo. It will email and upload correctly.(tested on an iphone 4s)

Fantastic. That worked great. Thanks!!