PDA

View Full Version : iPod Photo user review with pictures, details

MacBytes
Oct 31, 2004, 11:01 PM
Category: Forum Posts
Link: iPod Photo user review with pictures, details (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041101000138)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Oct 31, 2004, 11:13 PM
I want one even more, the more screenshots I see.

BTW, here's a more formal first-look, with even more photos:
http://playlistmag.com/features/2004/10/ipodphotofirst/index.php

Two cool things:

* Long names (songs, albums, playlists) scroll by--right in the menus!

* Large vs. small (with text) album art on the Now Playing screen isn't an either-or choice... if you have chosen the small art display, just hit Select any time you want to enlarge the art to full screen.

Two not so cool:

* iPhoto album synching requires iPhoto 4 (which I won't buy--I'll wait and get whatever comes out with/after Tiger). You can still specify a photo folder to synch, but that's not the same as showing your iPhoto albums automatically. (Question: if you simply synch a folder, can it have subfolders that show up on the iPod? If so, that's an OK workaround until I get a new iLife.)

* Screen can be seen without backlight (it doesn't go black like a laptop) but it's much harder to see than an unlit B&W iPod. So using it entirely without any backlighting isn't as practical apparently. Better have the backlight set to come on at least for a short time when you touch a control.

jbembe
Nov 1, 2004, 07:48 AM
* iPhoto album synching requires iPhoto 4 (which I won't buy--I'll wait and get whatever comes out with/after Tiger). You can still specify a photo folder to synch, but that's not the same as showing your iPhoto albums automatically. (Question: if you simply synch a folder, can it have subfolders that show up on the iPod? If so, that's an OK workaround until I get a new iLife.)

I am really annoyed that Apple never released these iLife apps individually because iTunes (free) and iPhoto are the only two I ever use. Unless there's something miraculous about Tiger, I don't know that my 700mhz original flat-panel iMac needs to be upgraded to it so iLife might be the only way this machine will get the upgrade and that 40$ really irritates me.

Sharewaredemon
Nov 1, 2004, 07:52 AM
Interesting that it looks like he took the pictures with a wideangle lens,
hmmm

I like that the songs scroll the names when in browse mode, very usefull.

nagromme
Nov 1, 2004, 08:34 AM
Unless there's something miraculous about Tiger, I don't know that my 700mhz original flat-panel iMac needs to be upgraded to it so iLife might be the only way this machine will get the upgrade and that 40$ really irritates me.

Just to clarify, Tiger won't come WITH iLife or iPhoto... I'm just figuring, why buy the pre-Tiger iLife when I know a Tiger-enhanced iLife is probably on the way? Then I'll buy Tiger (a given--it's already miraculous enough for me!) and I'll also upgrade to iLife "05" most likely.

I too only use iPhoto and iTunes--and will toy with GarageBand. But I'm not bothered about bundling the iLife apps together--Apple gives you 5 apps for the price of one. Any one of the apps (except the freely downloadable iTunes) is worth the $49 by itself--competitors often charge more for just ONE app that's not as easy to use.

Nonetheless, iPhoto 2 does all I need, and the one thing I most want is sub-albums (Vacations -> With Parents -> Sewage Treatment Plant), and iPhoto 4 still doesn't have that. That's OK, nobody's forcing me to upgrade UNTIL the features of a new iPhoto ARE worth it to me.

Meanwhile, though, I do plan to give slideshows from an iPod, even if that means synching a folder instead of iPhoto.

nagromme
Nov 1, 2004, 09:48 AM
Also... iPodLounge's preliminary take: Photo features are great, but Apple shouldn't charge $100 extra for them. Main gripe: initial photo synch (making all the thumbnails) is very slow compared to later when you just synch the newest photos.

http://backstage.ipodlounge.com/backstage_comments.php?id=5369_0_29_0_C

They love the new UI. Me too!

Sounds like there might be some kind of On-The-Go slideshow creation too--it's not clear. That would be very cool! No need to skip slides in front of the audience just to customize, then.