PDA

View Full Version : Which iPod Do You Have?

MacBytes
Nov 1, 2004, 12:57 AM
Category: Polls
Link: Which iPod Do You Have? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041101015707)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

AmigoMac
Nov 1, 2004, 02:02 AM
Right now, 20 GB, 3rd Gen. :)
On 9th or before: 40 GB, iPod Photo :cool:

bennetsaysargh
Nov 1, 2004, 05:27 AM
before i had a 15GB 3G
now i have a 40GB 4G
i'm satisfied :)

cluthz
Nov 1, 2004, 10:51 AM
Still have my 1st Gen 10 GB iPod.
I calibrated it three das ago, and now i get about 7 hours batterylife!
(With koss portapro and eq-off)

jchen
Nov 1, 2004, 11:21 AM
Haven't even finished charging it yet. Picked it up at the local Apple Store. They had them in stock. Screen is ultra sharp.

Before that I had a 30 gig but battery life dropped to just about 3-4 hours. Then I did a reset, erase, recopy and battery life went to about 8 hours again. I keep mine on a belt clip.

SiliconAddict
Nov 1, 2004, 11:22 AM
I'm sitting here with new new 60GB iPod Photo. Nothing like sitting on a pointless conf call while listening to Barenaked Ladies. :D

AmigoMac
Nov 1, 2004, 11:51 AM
Hey! BTW, I would be very pissed if I don't get my pPod before they arrive at the apple resellers.

nagromme
Nov 1, 2004, 11:52 AM
None. And I'm grumpy about it so go away.

Bunzi2k4
Nov 1, 2004, 12:33 PM
I have a 15 gig 3rd generation ipod.... bleh... maybe next generation will be when i upgrade...

tpatricks
Nov 1, 2004, 01:54 PM
I opened the iPod Photo and began the transfer process (music and photos) which is still in progress. I'll read the manual later.

The iPod Photo box is bulkier than other iPods as this one contains extra cables (AV), the holder case w/clip, and the dock. As you'd expect, packaging is superb. Windows users must be impressed.

I'd already upgraded the iPod software so I just plugged in the iPod Photo and followed directions. Syncing music (just under 3,000 songs) took about 20-minutes. The iPod automatically began synchronization of photos (another 20 minutes for about 7,000 photos).

Once everything was synced up, I started reading. In iTunes preferences, there's an option to copy ALL photos at full size (not compressed images, as is the default). So I clicked that and closed Preferences. iTunes immediately began copying all photos.

The screen is beautiful. Indoors. Haven't tried it outside yet. Side-by-side (palm to palm) the 60 gig iPod Photo seems just a bit heavier than the 30 gig 3G that it replaces.

Oh, we're running a poll, too. So far, the 20 and 40 gig iPods are #1 and #2 with 23% and 18% respectively. iPod mini at 13%. Most users carry the iPod in pocket or belt clip (68%), although 6 use their socks. A surprising number of iPod users just "carry it."

94% vs 6%, Mac vs. Windows. That's to be expected, I guess.

--

nagromme
Nov 1, 2004, 05:10 PM
I won't complain if pictures of that iPod materialize ;)

Showing it in full light with backlight off, and images of slideshows to TV would be something other sites haven't shown that I know of.

(And I'll confess, I voted "iPod Photo" just for good luck. It will soon be true.)

tpatricks
Nov 2, 2004, 02:22 AM
I've posted a few photos of the iPod Photo and a description of my "last look" at this for awhile. I'm impressed with how many iPod Photo reviews already exist.

Regardless, the iPod Photo has a menu selection for Photo Import. Both manual and PDF on CD claim to be able to import photos direct from Card Reader into iPod Photo...

...but NOT into the iPhoto photos. Photos loaded onto iPod Photo from a card reader have to be transferred back to iPhoto and then synchronized with the iPod Photo.

I could not get my Lexar Firewire Flash Card reader to be recognized by the iPod Photo, though.

nagromme
Nov 2, 2004, 09:34 AM
Yes, I think it's smart that iTunes shrinks the photos to make viewing faster on the iPod-- but it means a Belkin reader can't substitute for syncing via computer.

But Belkin-transferred photos do at least go to the same folder on the iPod as your auto-synced FULL-res copies, if you choose that option. Viewing your library is really a separate function from unloading your camera memory, but the two are at least integrated to that one extent.

Thanks for the review and photos (in focus, no less).