PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch switching itself on when locked and playing music.

Collider
Jul 1, 2010, 10:08 AM
So... I have no idea whether this is an issue with my iPod or a known issue with iOS4, but fingers crossed I'm not the only one with this issue --

When I'm playing music in my iPod through my speaker dock, with the iPod locked to save battery life, the machine automatically switches itself back on (to the 'Unlock' screen) at the beginning of what seems to be every third or fourth song, seemingly for no apparent reason. It doesn't interrupt playback and doesn't have any detrimental effect whatsoever, it's just exceptionally annoying (and potentially battery draining?).

There's nothing touching the screen, nothing that might be inadvertently hitting the Home button, it's docked perfectly snug to the speaker (no chance of it wobbling or accidentally undocking itself), and there's nothing special about my speaker either (literally, it's just a standard speaker with a built-in iPod dock); so far as I can tell, it doesn't do this when the iPod is sleeping, just when it's actually playing music.

Any similar experiences / advice / explanations?

liamkp
Jul 1, 2010, 01:22 PM
I haven't heard of this before so you might take it to Apple.

iom
Jul 1, 2010, 05:33 PM
Same here. Noticed it on my iPod touch 2nd gen 32gb too. i was using earphones when i noticed mine. mine is jailbroken though with only multitasking enabled.

liamkp
Jul 1, 2010, 08:12 PM
Same here. Noticed it on my iPod touch 2nd gen 32gb too. i was using earphones when i noticed mine. mine is jailbroken though with only multitasking enabled.

Well, i havent heard of this before so i dont have a solution other than taking it to an Apple store.

pavenger
Jul 2, 2010, 03:39 AM
Mine does this too... sometime it happens with more frequency than every 3rd or 4th song but certainly not every time. it doesn't come on just as the song changes, but more like 3-5 seconds after... at first I found it kinda handy when Im in the car and its on shuffle so by the time I think to look to see what song just started it lights up and tells me whats going on... that part is kinda cool. but again since its not entirely consistent (or at least i dont think it is) its a bit irritating. but what would apple really do if one brought it in? they would probably just tell you to do a restore or something then send you on your way.

Collider
Jul 2, 2010, 04:26 AM
Mine does this too... sometime it happens with more frequency than every 3rd or 4th song but certainly not every time. it doesn't come on just as the song changes, but more like 3-5 seconds after... at first I found it kinda handy when Im in the car and its on shuffle so by the time I think to look to see what song just started it lights up and tells me whats going on... that part is kinda cool. but again since its not entirely consistent (or at least i dont think it is) its a bit irritating. but what would apple really do if one brought it in? they would probably just tell you to do a restore or something then send you on your way.

You've described it exactly!

And, yea, I'm not sure what Apple could really do beyond suggesting a restore, but it is good to know that, even without a solution, I'm not the only one.

liamkp
Jul 2, 2010, 11:42 AM
You've described it exactly!

And, yea, I'm not sure what Apple could really do beyond suggesting a restore, but it is good to know that, even without a solution, I'm not the only one.

:)