PDA

View Full Version : imac 27"




thoahau
Jul 1, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hi Dears,

I would like to buy an imac. i have macbook, mac mini already. Now want to have the best Desktop

I like 27" for sure but don't know which series I would go for. So come here to ask you guys.

- is that much difference for a student like me to study, write paper, linux based programing on quard core or dual 2 core imac. They are like 4-$500 difference.
I thinking about buying 3.06Ghz dual 2 core version but still concern for i7 (i5 is just $185 difference from i7 so I don't choose). The reason I concern because imac is not upgradable. How do you think ?

If buy it now, where do you thing I should go for. ? Apple.com has promotion now but I don't really need itouch, printer and tired of adv them and selling somewhere.
Ebay and Craislist may be a choice. I am in NYC. How do you think about this ??http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iMac-Z0GE-10777067-27-3-06-GHz-4-GB-NEW-/170506843307?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item27b2fff4ab


last thing is: is that the good time to buy or wait until the semester start with the newer version ?

many thanks for any commend.



dudeofblokes
Jul 1, 2010, 01:49 PM
that is a wonderful piece of kitt and would do all you state you need it for. you could always hold off to see what a possible revision would bring but chances are its not going to be much more that a speed bump/graphics upgrade perhaps both. but if you dont need this you wont be disappointed with whats available to purchase now and will still be a machine that should give you a great few years of use.

lastly though that was a hard message to read through, quite bad english.

aki
Jul 1, 2010, 06:18 PM
It really depends how important future-proofing yourself is.

In brief, in my opinion - yes, i5 and i7 are newer machines, but that doesn't mean the c2ds are outdated or rubbish. Quite the contrary. If cost is a factor I think it's perfectly acceptable to go for a core2duo. It's true, as time marches on, more and more software will exploit features of i5/i7, but right now it's still a perfectly reasonable choice - especially for the usage scenarios you suggest.

As regards waiting or buying - popular wisdom says, iMac updates soon, but minor changes. If you want it now, buy it now. You will probably miss an upgrade later in the year but it is wildly unlikely to be anything jaw-dropping.

(If you were a hardcore gamer I might suggest u want to wait on a possibly video card upgrade; but then again if you were a hardcore gamer I'd probably ask if you were sure you wanted to go Mac.)

Good luck with your choice!