PDA

View Full Version : [mod] Adding a fan to the Powermac G5's FX5200 card

kbfr08
Jul 1, 2010, 03:36 PM
My powermac G5 has fan issues, the PCI bay fans run at full speed all of the time. So I've decided to unplug the fan and put a fan on the graphics card.

What you'll need:
12V Fan, I pulled one from a laptop to avoid blocking PCIx slots
Some wire (depending on the length of your fan's wires)
Soldering iron
Solder

Note: Pin header J3, which looks like a 2 port fan pinout isn't. It has no voltage and doesn't work as a ground either.

So, begin by pulling the fan's 4, 3 or 2 pin plug off.
The wires are color coded:
Red - +12V (or +5v look at the fan's specs)
Black - GND
Yellow - Speed control (we don't need this)
Blue - O/F, no idea what this does and it's only on 4 wire fans.

Strip a few millimeters off of the ends of the red and black wires, you can remove or tape over the yellow and blue wire since we don't need them.

Tin the tip of both wires by heating the exposed ends with your soldering iron, then touching it with solder. Your wires are now ready for soldering onto the board

Take your fan and remove the air deflector. You have 2 options to secure the fan to the heatsink.

1) Screw - Drive a screw through the fan's screw holes into the heatsink's fins. You may not have the correct size screw for this, so move to option 2 as an alternative.

2) Apply super glue to the bottom of it and push it onto the heatsink. Apply pressure until the glue dries. Make sure you use super glue, don't be cheap and use school glue.

Now that the fan is secured, we can begin soldering the wires.

1) Take the red wire, and attach it to pin 13 of the graphics card's controller chip. This is on the back side of the board. It's a 14 pin chip, pin 13 is opposite of pin 2, the second pin counting right from the dot on the chip. I wish I had a better camera to show you.

2) Take the black wire, and solder it to a ground point on the card. I haven't found a good ground point yet, so I wrapped it around the AGP card's securing screw.

Plug the card back in, and enjoy the silence.

Now the only noise my powermac makes is from the 15K rpm SCSI drives :/ I'll write another tutorial on installing more than 2 drives into your powermac soon.