Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sportsmaniac13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I installed Windows via boot camp and activated smoothly. I then installed Parallels and had it boot off my boot camp partition. It had me activate again, which I did. All was running smooth until a few days ago. When I boot Parallels it says Windows is activated, but when I'm in boot camp it says it isn't. No matter how many times I try to reactivate the boot camp installation it says I need to "type a different product key for registration". Help?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Activation is tied to hardware. Boot camp looks at your actual hardware and Parallels looks at virtualized hardware. Thus they do not match. There are tons of thread about this. Maybe someone found a work around.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Have you tried calling the phone number you are given to activate by phone? This usually does the trick.

B

Sportsmaniac13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Have you tried calling the phone number you are given to activate by phone? This usually does the trick.

B

Thanks for the tip, the automated phone system worked. They're hell to deal with, but at least my Windows is activated again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.