PDA

View Full Version : Ipad Stylus Pressure Sensitivity - CONFIRMED!

Zodiak
Jul 2, 2010, 08:53 AM
Ipad Stylus Pressure Sensitivity - CONFIRMED!

Hello All,

Zodiak here with a new update!

As some of you may know by now, I am a NUT when it comes to product research for my ipad. Styluses being one of the areas of research. Alot of threads have been about different stylus designs and technology.

I am here to report that a company called "Ten One Design" has just successfully created the basis for app developers to introduce Pressure Sensitivity for Styluses on the iPad and the ability to rest your palm on the iPad while you are writing/sketching.

The good thing is that the technique created is ALL Software based and there seems to be an existing version of the Pogo Stylus that works. Now all we have to do is wait for ether existing apps to adapt this code for their software or wait for new software to be created around this platform.

You can read more about it here http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/02/pressure-sensitive-drawing-on-the-ipad/

Please discuss and let me know what you think :)

klio
Jul 3, 2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the info on that. I've been doing a lot of drawing this week in a variety of apps and using the Pogo Sketch stylus, meanwhile debating whether I need to trade my iPad in for a Cintiq at some point.

The iPad would likely still be less sophisticated for drawing even with an app that takes advantage of pressure sensitivity, etc., but you'd have all the other iPad features--including the portability.

I have to sit back and watch while others discuss and develop these ideas, but I hope we see more grow from this. The iPad could become as ubiquitous as a paper sketchbook in an artist's bag. Lucky for me, the case I'm using can hold both.

Zodiak
Jul 5, 2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info on that. I've been doing a lot of drawing this week in a variety of apps and using the Pogo Sketch stylus, meanwhile debating whether I need to trade my iPad in for a Cintiq at some point.

The iPad would likely still be less sophisticated for drawing even with an app that takes advantage of pressure sensitivity, etc., but you'd have all the other iPad features--including the portability.

I have to sit back and watch while others discuss and develop these ideas, but I hope we see more grow from this. The iPad could become as ubiquitous as a paper sketchbook in an artist's bag. Lucky for me, the case I'm using can hold both.

Yes I agree, mainly because of the latency related to drawing the ipad currently has unless someone can overcome this and just might.

I love doing product research and letting people know of new developments :) Now if only this could be compined with the seemingly latency free offset fine stylus drawing that someone else had invented!

klio
Jul 5, 2010, 11:33 AM
Yes I agree, mainly because of the latency related to drawing the ipad currently has unless someone can overcome this and just might.
I don't get noticeable lag, but I'm almost exclusively working with thinner brush strokes, and there's probably more latency with large brushes and more painterly art. I guess I've lucked out in that the iPad happens to work well with the way I draw.

I would gladly invest in a really good stylus to go with the iPad. Worth more to me than a fancy leather case. What I'd also like to see are more apps that can output in high resolution!

Thanks again for keeping an eye on the latest artsy (and handwriting) info. Please keep keeping us updated :)

Beau10
Jul 5, 2010, 09:55 PM
Now all we have to do is wait for ether existing apps to adapt this code for their software or wait for new software to be created around this platform.

Well, they using a private API, so nothing can be released until Apple makes it public. As a tech proof of concept its interesting, but don't get your hopes up.