Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Hello

I bought a 50 pack of Kodak DVD-R's from Future Shop today, and when I opened it up, the first dvd on the top had the Kodak logo, but the rest below are all blank on the top. Is this normal or are they fake's or something?

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
It is normal. Company's like kodak don't actually make the DVDs themselves, they buy them from a manufacturer then re-brand them.

Have you actually got those Kodaks working? Because at one point I bought some cicero DVDs and they look almost identical to the Kodaks and I couldn't get them working in my superdrive.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I'm using an external dual layer drive...

unlike the memorex dvd-r's I got it can't burn 4x media at 8x, which is disappointing but 4x is still decently fast, and they were pretty cheap

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Kodak is branding discs, huh? Interesting. Looks like at least some of the time they're manufactured by Prodisc, which isn't a terrible brand so far as I know.

What's really sad is that, a few years ago, Kodak was actually one of the few companies that manufactured CDRs (and I do mean manufactured, not just branded), and their "Gold" discs were almost universally considered to be the most reliable on the market (certainly bore out in my experience).

Tragically, for whatever reason, they stopped making them a couple years ago. Sure wish they'd kept at it and applied that know-how to DVD-Rs, since I have yet to find a brand I trust (we'll see about the popular Ritek...). I'm still hoarding my last few Kodak Gold blanks for stuff that really matters.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Why hoard them?

Makosuke said:
Tragically, for whatever reason, they stopped making them a couple years ago. Sure wish they'd kept at it and applied that know-how to DVD-Rs, since I have yet to find a brand I trust (we'll see about the popular Ritek...). I'm still hoarding my last few Kodak Gold blanks for stuff that really matters.

Why are you hoarding them? There are others that are just as good if archiving is that important to you. Here's a brand that is highly recommended by quite a few different photography sites...

http://store.mam-a-store.com/standard---archive-gold.html

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
rickvanr said:
Hello

I bought a 50 pack of Kodak DVD-R's from Future Shop today, and when I opened it up, the first dvd on the top had the Kodak logo, but the rest below are all blank on the top. Is this normal or are they fake's or something?

As another poster said, Kodak doesn't actually manufacture their own discs anymore - so although you bought Kodak discs, they are made by someone else. So they're not really fakes, unless you were hoping for Kodak-manufactured discs. The truth is, few companies out there actually make their own discs.

It's kinda like popping open an iPod an wondering why the HD isn't an Apple HD - it's a Toshiba drive, because Apple doesn't make their own HDs... :cool:

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
I just bought a hundred Kodak DVD-Rs on a spindle for $60 CDN and they all have the logo on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.