Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

101807-apple_tv_banner.jpg

The New York Times reports that Apple is preparing to launch a significant revamp of its television-related offerings, targeting at least a software overhaul for the company's Apple TV while an entirely new hardware product remains a possibility. According to the report's sources, Apple has recently hired a number of new user interface designers with backgrounds in television broadcast design as the company seeks to modify its iOS platform for use in the living room.
They said it was not clear whether the company would create an entirely new product as well as updating the software. They also said Apple might base a new television design on its iOS operating system, which is on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
Notably, one former Apple employee reported that much of the work has been taking place outside of the company's Apple TV group, suggesting that an entirely new hardware product might be in the works.

Just over a month ago, Engadget reported that Apple is preparing a dramatic overhaul of the Apple TV hardware, planning to offer a new device "based directly on the iPhone 4" with the capability for 1080p HD output and only limited onboard storage, as the device would primarily stream media from the Internet. The revamped Apple TV was also said to be set to carry a price tag of only $99.

On a separate note, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster today released a report continuing to beat his drum predicting a future Internet-connected television from Apple. He sees the inclusion of an HDMI port on the new Mac mini and the rumors of a revamped Apple TV set-top box as part of a progression that will lead to the launch of an actual Apple television with integrated iTunes/Internet access within two to four years.

Article Link: New York Times: Apple Gearing Up to Take Apple TV to the Next Level

EnigMoiD

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
No longer just a hobby? Apple's been pretty inconsistent lately... could be cool, though.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
The way we keep seeing these rumours there must be something tv related coming in the near future. I hope it does support apps so it can support hulu, netflix, sky and all the other video apps that have appeared since the iPad.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I already took it to the next level, it's called a PS3.

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
IOn a separate note, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster today released a report continuing to beat his drum predicting a future Internet-connected television from Apple. He sees the inclusion of an HDMI port on the new Mac mini and the rumors of a revamped Apple TV set-top box as part of a progression that will lead to the launch of an actual Apple television with integrated iTunes/Internet access within two to four years.

I predict we will eventually go back to the moon in the next 15 to 30 years. Genius...I could be an analyst with comments like this.

J Radical

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
Limited storage would be a deal-breaker. Most ISPs limit bandwidth after a certain threshold, so heavy users would be punished with slow speeds. To say nothing of broadband inequality depending on location and the common problem of network instability. I pray apple are sensible enough to allow users unlimited external USB storage for the media they own. (And more codecs please!)

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I would buy 2 or 3 of these if they are $99/£99 and have one extra feature.....

...FaceTime.

That will really bring the 'future' that Steve and Jonny were on about during the keynote closer to everyone.

My grandparents wouldn't use a computer or a phone to do video calling, but they would in the lounge with their hdtv.

I think it would be really neat. Really, Sony should've had Skype make a PS3 client, but they didn't :(

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I predict we will eventually go back to the moon in the next 15 to 30 years. Genius...I could be an analyst with comments like this.
People have been making that prediction for the last 2 or 3 years that Apple would release a TV in 'about 2 years time'

I already took it to the next level, it's called a PS3.
What do you use to stream your video so it shows up nicely organized?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Apple needs to launch their own TV product. the way flash storage is going boxes will soon go the way of the dodo. it's all going to be built into the TV
most of the value of the TiVo is in the hard drive. why not release a TV and tell you to use your own USB drive for the DVR?

and most TV's run ^nix already and have a lot of software functionality. Apple needs to release something or watch as iTunes gets replaced by Yahoo widgets and Samsung Apps.

and the price needs to be competitive with no yellow screens. if Apple prices these like they do iMacs people will laugh and buy something else. and they better offer 1080p movies just like Vudu

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Apple isn't going into the large screen hardware business. The Apple TV model may continue as is, or it may merge into the hundreds of TV-enabled Apps that you see on new Samsung internet-connected TVs (Netflix, Pandora, etc.)

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Limited storage would be a deal-breaker. Most ISPs limit bandwidth after a certain threshold, so heavy users would be punished with slow speeds. To say nothing of broadband inequality depending on location and the common problem of network instability. I pray apple are sensible enough to allow users unlimited external USB storage for the media they own. (And more codecs please!)

Relax, you'll be able to access movies stored on hard drives via your home network.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I would totally buy one at that price point. I wish, they would just develop a HDTV, with all of this built in, kinda like the GoogleTV idea, but with Apple Design.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA

Of course, there may be a way around this: Apple could work with an cable ISP like Comcast so that video downloaded from an Apple-based server gets data priority in terms of high-speed downloads. In short, Apple TV downloads aren't counted against the 250 GB download limit normally imposed by Comcast and in effect becomes part of the Comcast On Demand service.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Combined with a cloud based iTunes this could work out very nice.

potaco

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
People have been making that prediction for the last 2 or 3 years that Apple would release a TV in 'about 2 years time'

What do you use to stream your video so it shows up nicely organized?

Windows Media Player
Simplecenter
PS3 Media Center
TVersity
PlayOn
etc, etc

All of those should let you stream video from your computer (or PC, at least...). A few let you use Netflix, Hulu, and other web streams.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My Apple TV got relegated to the bedroom for casual use (streaming stuff from iTunes) while I upgraded to a Mac Mini & Plex in the living room a long time ago.

Having said that, it'd be nice to see some new features on the ATV and even better if I can continue to use the existing hardware with the new OS.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Of course, there may be a way around this: Apple could work with an cable ISP like Comcast so that video downloaded from an Apple-based server gets data priority in terms of high-speed downloads. In short, Apple TV downloads aren't counted against the 250 GB download limit normally imposed by Comcast and in effect becomes part of the Comcast On Demand service.

And what's in that for Comcast? Yes, that would be great for Apple, but Comcast would want it to be great for Comcast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.