Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
In case people did not know this I thought it was worth mentioning that it appears that al the bumpers being manufactured are a little different.

I received the orange one I ordered a few weeks ago and has a distinctly different feel to it than the black one I purchased at the apple store on launch day. The sides of the black one have on the outer edge a different constancy of rubber which is very easy to grip. Does not slide in your hands at all The orange one has very smooth sides on both the inner and outer bevel of the sides. This was noticeable as soon as I held it in my hand and I realized it would be harder to hold on to especially with the new instructions we have been given by Apple on how to hold the phone.

The only case they had on launch was black so that's what I got and figured I would return it when the orange arrived. I for one thought this made a huge differance and will now be keeping my black one.
The new bumpers also came win totally differant packaging so perhaps the first lot was rushed along so they wood be available for launch and for the issues they were no doubt aware of with reception and the need for customers to have them right away.

So check it out and see if the smother ones work for ya or just get the black with no no slip border!

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
In case people did not know this I thought it was worth mentioning that it appears that al the bumpers being manufactured are a little different.

I received the orange one I ordered a few weeks ago and has a distinctly different feel to it than the black one I purchased at the apple store on launch day. The sides of the black one have on the outer edge a different constancy of rubber which is very easy to grip. Does not slide in your hands at all The orange one has very smooth sides on both the inner and outer bevel of the sides. This was noticeable as soon as I held it in my hand and I realized it would be harder to hold on to especially with the new instructions we have been given by Apple on how to hold the phone.

The only case they had on launch was black so that's what I got and figured I would return it when the orange arrived. I for one thought this made a huge differance and will now be keeping my black one.
The new bumpers also came win totally differant packaging so perhaps the first lot was rushed along so they wood be available for launch and for the issues they were no doubt aware of with reception and the need for customers to have them right away.

So check it out and see if the smother ones work for ya or just get the black with no no slip border!

I just posted about this too. I have 3 black ones and all of them are shiny type plastic in the middle and a rubber with some grip on the outer edges... Whell I just got two orange ones in the mail and they are basically all smooth hard plastic... its very slick and nowhere near as much grip as the black ones.

Maybe they had some manufacturing problems and had the change the material to a plastic instead of the rubber on the colored ones? I'm sending my colored back forsure.

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Or maybe it's another example of Apple not watching their production manufacturing overseas. Too bad was looking forward to the orange but the slippery feel is not what I was looking for!

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
Or maybe it's another example of Apple not watching their production manufacturing overseas. Too bad was looking forward to the orange but the slippery feel is not what I was looking for!
My orange bumper is just fine. There is no issue with the orange bumper.

You still must be holding it incorrectly.

If you don't like it just return it and quit whining on these forums. Nobody wants to hear it.

(/sarcasm off)

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
My orange bumper is just fine. There is no issue with the orange bumper.

You still must be holding it incorrectly.

If you don't like it just return it and quit whining on these forums. Nobody wants to hear it.

(/sarcasm off)

Is your orange bumper rubber on the outer edges? The two I got are just are just made of the same material thats on the inner strip of the bumper.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
change

they are probably changing the production quality in advance of having to give them away to every user.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Or it could just be that the different colors need to be made from slightly different materials...nahhh that's way too obvious.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I just posted about this too. I have 3 black ones and all of them are shiny type plastic in the middle and a rubber with some grip on the outer edges... Whell I just got two orange ones in the mail and they are basically all smooth hard plastic... its very slick and nowhere near as much grip as the black ones.

Maybe they had some manufacturing problems and had the change the material to a plastic instead of the rubber on the colored ones? I'm sending my colored back forsure.

Why on earth do you have five bumpers? Do you have five iPhones?

cirial

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Pompano Beach, FL

What are u doing with $150 worth of bumpers?

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
What are u doing with $150 worth of bumpers?

I have four iPhone 4's on my family plan, originally I bought all black bumpers with the intent of exchanging them out as my colored ones came in... Guess that won't be happening though, at least with the orange. From another thread here it seems the green has the original rubbery material still for anyone interested.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/954308/

IrishTiger

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I wish my black bumper was smooth all the way around like it is in the middle. I HATE rubbery cases because it's so difficult to get in (and more importantly) out of your pocket.

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
I have four iPhone 4's on my family plan, originally I bought all black bumpers with the intent of exchanging them out as my colored ones came in... Guess that won't be happening though, at least with the orange. From another thread here it seems the green has the original rubbery material still for anyone interested.

Agreed, looks like it has a grip like black one. I will try take a pix of the orange one if fed x has not picked it up. I called earlier and they sent me a return auth and label.

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
I wish my black bumper was smooth all the way around like it is in the middle. I HATE rubbery cases because it's so difficult to get in (and more importantly) out of your pocket.

order one on line, it might be from the same plant but I would be surprised if you liked it, its not easy to get a good grip....

don't want that device to fall out of your hands while trying to hold it in the regulation manner in order to get a good signal to make your call!

truciet

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
can anyone post pictures of the "all" shiny ones? I actually prefer those over rubber edges.

KC2

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
OP is absolutely correct. I picked up a blue and a black Bumper in store today because I couldn't make up my mind on a color.

I put the blue on first - the rubber part of the Bumper definitely felt a lot like hard plastic. I actually dropped the phone back onto the table I was picking it up from twice because it was too slippery. Also, when looking at the screen from the front, the blue border was kind of throwing my eyes off a little with the other colors on screen.

After reading a couple other people say the black rubber is definitely more "rubbery," I opened up the black - installed it - the rubber is absolutely more grippy and exactly what I need. Sure it's more boring, but it eases my mind a little knowing I'm a lot less likely to inadvertently throw the phone to the ground.

I'll be returning my blue one back to the Apple store tonight.

truciet

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
OP is absolutely correct. I picked up a blue and a black Bumper in store today because I couldn't make up my mind on a color.

I put the blue on first - the rubber part of the Bumper definitely felt a lot like hard plastic. I actually dropped the phone back onto the table I was picking it up from twice because it was too slippery. Also, when looking at the screen from the front, the blue border was kind of throwing my eyes off a little with the other colors on screen.

After reading a couple other people say the black rubber is definitely more "rubbery," I opened up the black - installed it - the rubber is absolutely more grippy and exactly what I need. Sure it's more boring, but it eases my mind a little knowing I'm a lot less likely to inadvertently throw the phone to the ground.

I'll be returning my blue one back to the Apple store tonight.

Please post pictures?

KC2

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
Please post pictures?

Certainly.

You can't really tell anything visually (and I didn't really give the blue proper lighting in these pictures). They look the same, but the black's rubber is definitely more grippy.

(Click for full size images)

img7204r.jpg

img7207t.jpg

img7206e.jpg

Bungleaio

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2008
UK
The only case they had on launch was black so that's what I got and figured I would return it when the orange arrived.

Don't you think this takes the piss a bit? Put yourself in the position of apple, why should you provide a new sealed product to a customer who intends to return it in a couple of weeks, this is retail not rental!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

How do people think it's OK to do this?

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Because it's reasonable.

From a math standpoint, Apple makes at least $20 on these Bumpers.. so if they have to lose $10 of cost on one they more than still made a profit overall.

Second, they didn't provide all colors to begin with and people needed protection NOW

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010

Ya I know how you feel I married my wife with the intent of divorcing for a prettier one once they got one in. NO WONDER apple charges a 10% restocking fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.