PDA

View Full Version : Full report on Tiger 8A294 with many screenshots, new featur...

MacBytes
Nov 1, 2004, 11:38 PM
Category: Mac OS X
Link: Full report on Tiger 8A294 with many screenshots, new features revealed (3 articles). (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041102003830)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Photorun
Nov 2, 2004, 12:29 AM
Dang, TextEdit has become, no other way to put it, robust?!? Strange but in some odd ways it's gotten better than AppleWorks.

Enjoy the screen shots while they're up because wouldn't be too surprised of Apple legal has 'em yanked.

nagromme
Nov 2, 2004, 01:14 AM
I always liked AppleWorks better than Word because it was simpler--it did what I need without a lot of fuss and clutter.

But since I switched to OS X, I've been using TextEdit... same reason. Quick and simple and does what I need. With Tiger it will be even better! A LOT of people have pretty basic word-processing needs--and OS X will meet them right out of the box.

And I see that now when there's an app crash, Tiger immediately offers to temporarily restore the default prefs and re-launch the app. (I suppose your old prefs get backed up someplace?)

The time-honored "trash the prefs" fix may soon be a thing of the past! Tiger seems to do it for you. Come on, Apple, don't take away the last half-way-technical-seeming troubleshooting step we have! ;)

AmigoMac
Nov 2, 2004, 06:09 AM
Yeah, there won't be "Trash your prefs file" post.
on the other side, bring an update for appleworks in MWSF 05, but a good one. I have thought about trashing the app. but want to give apple a second chance.

bubbamac
Nov 2, 2004, 06:22 AM
Well, that does it. I'll have to get Tiger. I thought I'd stick with Panther, but that's good stuff!

Sharewaredemon
Nov 2, 2004, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I know I'm getting Tiger know because I heard that Chess might be beatable now.

:)

AmigoMac
Nov 2, 2004, 07:17 AM
Parental control is big help for me and my son, geeky boy.

MacSA
Nov 2, 2004, 07:58 AM
Wow, TextEdit looks very impressive now, Tiger is going to be amazing :D

wowser
Nov 2, 2004, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I know I'm getting Tiger know because I heard that Chess might be beatable now.

Thanks God! :p

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 2, 2004, 06:46 PM
I love the PDF inside of Safari, it makes sense, plus with newsfire I've really gotten into RSS. And I'm glad I know I'm not the only one who cannot beat Mac Os X chess.

Maybe if they're are dual-core powerbooks when Tiger comes out I'll upgrade that way.

nagromme
Nov 2, 2004, 08:03 PM
AI just clarified the prefs-resetting thing: the FIRST "unexpected quit" of an app simply offers to re-launch. A nice time saver. But IF the app crashes AGAIN right away, the second time you are given the option to restore default prefs.

Suddenly "trash the prefs" is something anyone can do without any prior knowledge or messing around.

sjk
Nov 2, 2004, 11:11 PM
AI just clarified the prefs-resetting thing: the FIRST "unexpected quit" of an app simply offers to re-launch. A nice time saver. But IF the app crashes AGAIN right away, the second time you are given the option to restore default prefs.I'm curious how (well) that'll work since apps don't save prefs in a universally consistent and identifiable way. The screenshot was interesting because it used Photoshop as an example and if that behaves like Elements (what I have) it saves several preference files in a subdirectory of ~/Library/Preferences in some binary rather than XML property list format.

How is this new basic "prefs error manager" aware of special cases like that? Might Apple eventually provide a separate utility for cleaning up unwanted prefs? That's something a few third party utilities approach in different ways, with varying results.

Abstract
Nov 3, 2004, 01:37 AM
AI just clarified the prefs-resetting thing: the FIRST "unexpected quit" of an app simply offers to re-launch. A nice time saver. But IF the app crashes AGAIN right away, the second time you are given the option to restore default prefs.

Suddenly "trash the prefs" is something anyone can do without any prior knowledge or messing around.

That's pretty sweet. :)

billyboy
Nov 3, 2004, 06:48 AM

If somehow every time that a Windows app had a problem it auto launched Tiger, then Apple would be on to something.

g4cubed
Nov 3, 2004, 07:25 AM

And I thought it was just me. ;)

nagromme
Nov 3, 2004, 09:50 AM
I'm curious how (well) that'll work since apps don't save prefs in a universally consistent and identifiable way. The screenshot was interesting because it used Photoshop as an example and if that behaves like Elements (what I have) it saves several preference files in a subdirectory of ~/Library/Preferences in some binary rather than XML property list format...

Just my guess how it could be done. A combination of the following:

1. Telling app developers new guidelines (or reminding them of old) if they want full Tiger functionality.

2. Many apps probably DO store prefs in a predictable place (and name) already. (Maybe apps even identify the filename, either in the app package or in the XML file?)

3. A pre-set list built into Tiger could store the locations of non-standard but popular apps (like Photoshop). They could let developers register apps on that list even, but better to make them standardize more.

4. No need for OS X to know what's IN the file (XML, binary?), just move/delete it. Mac apps have long been good about automatically restoring defaults when that happens.

5. For apps (if any) that just can't work this way, the new dialog would simply not appear--they'd offer to relaunch (and maybe suggest a re-install) but not reset prefs.

6. There's a button for more info, which might explain some of this, as well as explaining where your old prefs are backed up. (But I'm no longer sure they are--since the trash-prefs option is offered only on the SECOND crash in a row, and since you can decline the offer, it seems reasonable that the old prefs would simply sit in the trash instead of somewhere longer term.)

I like the idea of very specific, transparent help automatically appearing WHEN you need it. No need to even look in Help.

Two more examples of this philosphy in Tiger:

1. Apparently if something happens and you don't respond for long enough, the Mac assumes you may be unable to proceed, and a voice (by default--can be turned off I'm sure) offers to let you proceed using Voiceover.

2. If you can't get to a web site, it can offer to launch a Network Assistant to lead you through making sure you're properly on the Internet. That's exactly the steps a new user would likely need--and yet you're not forced to click to decline the offer, you just ignore it.