Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Texas
what is the monitor on the front of this called, and what is it for....

Attachments

• rev30_100.jpg
    rev30_100.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,013

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
It's for people who have spare time, lcd screens, and the like to void their warranties (Looking at that computer, looks as though the warranty may have run out, unless the owner took out applecare).

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by W-_-W
It's for people who have spare time, lcd screens, and the like to void their warranties

You forgot "and the desire to add completely useless features". Sorry, but I think that LCD screen is totally dumb. Unless you could have it display system settings or some kind of custom readout, it's useless!

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
It would be cool if that screen were the computer screen. That way if you went on holiday you just lug your pm and have the screen included, of course the screen would be just to download pics from your digital camera or send e-mail, lame idea, but that would improve the concept.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by W-_-W
It would be cool if that screen were the computer screen. That way if you went on holiday you just lug your pm and have the screen included, of course the screen would be just to download pics from your digital camera or send e-mail, lame idea, but that would improve the concept.

Don't tell me you're gonna lug that huge powermac on your holiday! Yikes!

--

As Shaolin said, I first thought it was just a picture with a backlight.

Anyways.. stupid... waste of time.. but... the guy wanetd to do it... so why not?

irmongoose

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Hemingray

You forgot "and the desire to add completely useless features". Sorry, but I think that LCD screen is totally dumb. Unless you could have it display system settings or some kind of custom readout, it's useless!

Personally, I think it's pretty cool. Is it functional? Probably not , but he's just keeping w/Apple's form over function mantra.

Lethal

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
I thought that was just a picture in a case.....not a full LCD...

he probably could have done that, save a few hundred bucks, a few man hours, and fooled us all!

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by Hemingray

I believe it works as a secondary (or tertiary) monitor. It is indeed hooked up to a video card, because I saw some shots of it (the links escape me at the moment) where he had an iTunes window with the visualizer on it. So I guess you could keep the tower on the desk and keep palettes, iTunes or a small window of Macrumors on it.

¢2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.