PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Takes Another Market-Share Hit

MacBytes
Nov 2, 2004, 01:23 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Internet Explorer Takes Another Market-Share Hit (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041102022343)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

cluthz
Nov 2, 2004, 05:52 AM
Its good that people is getting their eyes up and starts using other browsers than IE. But IE still has over 90%..

Photorun
Nov 2, 2004, 07:10 AM
Most people aren't going to just switch because they're 1. not technically savvy enough to know to look elsewhere, 2. lazy, and 3. M$ will probably make future versions like Longhorn not run any other browsers but theirs.

wdlove
Nov 2, 2004, 11:00 AM
Well it seems that Microsoft has a chink in its armor. Although I would not consider a 92.9% market share anything to be concerned about.

stcanard
Nov 2, 2004, 11:36 AM
But IE still has over 90%..

Well, there's a bit of a game going on with that number. See, they're combining all versions of IE into that 90% share, yet splitting the different versions of Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape into seperate numbers. Not an entirely fair comparison ("Look, Toyota has 40% of the import market, and the Honda Civic only has a 3% share! Toyota's winning"[1])

In previous articles on this topic, I seem to remember some of them breaking down the IE versions, and IE6 only has about a 60% share. There are still significant portions of users on IE5, and even some on 4.

Eventually those users are going to have to upgrade for compatibility, and that's when Firefox's opportunity comes to grab significant share.

[1] These numbers were determined from the fine art of proctonumerology[2], so please don't try to correct me

[2] The art of pulling numbers out of your a$$

nagromme
Nov 2, 2004, 12:40 PM
I'm amazed at the mindshare Firefox and Mozilla have among VERY computer-illiterate people.

And when people get in the habit of using either one... they'll have no problem switching to Mac OS X and keeping the exact same version of their favorite browser :)

(Side note... some people non-Mac people think Safari is the ONLY Mac browser. In fact, that small but growing Safari % in the article is NOT the whole Mac story at all. But I know a lot of people who will read it that way, unaware that Explorer, Firefox, Mozilla, Camino, Netscape, iCab, Opera, BumperCar etc. are also used on Macs.)