PDA

View Full Version : Must 'Code Signing Identity' be same in update?

Danneman101
Jul 3, 2010, 06:59 AM
Does the "Code Signing Identity" (distribution) have to be the exact same one for an update of an app?

Im updating an app that had a specific code signing identity for previous versions that are uploaded to the store. Now Im using another code signing identity (albeit it is the same developer-account, just using a different provisioning profile thats all). Will there be any problems when I upload the update to apple for approval?

PhoneyDeveloper
Jul 3, 2010, 10:32 AM
I don't think that's a problem. If it is a problem iTunes will tell you when you upload the app. The profiles expire anyway. I think they only have a one year lifespan. So everyone has to get new profiles eventually.

dejo
Jul 3, 2010, 11:14 AM
I don't think that's a problem.
Actually, it will be. As stated in the iPhone Provisioning Portal:
Use the same Distribution Provisioning Profile to build each new version of your application.
Also, be sure to increment your bundle version.

I have used the same distribution profile since my app was released in Sep 2008. There are concerns with certificates expiring but that does not mean you can use a new profile to update an app.

Danneman101
Jul 4, 2010, 06:08 AM
Actually, it will be. As stated in the iPhone Provisioning Portal:

Also, be sure to increment your bundle version.

I have used the same distribution profile since my app was released in Sep 2008. There are concerns with certificates expiring but that does not mean you can use a new profile to update an app.

What if I use the same Distribution Provisioning Profile, but edit it to have another App ID? Will that work?

robbieduncan
Jul 4, 2010, 06:30 AM
What if I use the same Distribution Provisioning Profile, but edit it to have another App ID? Will that work?

I think different App ID == different app on the app store (specifically with regards to existing customers getting upgrades: different app ID == pay again).

dejo
Jul 4, 2010, 10:04 AM
Unless the AppID for that profile is a wildcard, it will be considered a different profile.

Danneman101
Jul 4, 2010, 10:46 AM
Both my old and my new AppID are wildcards (A1BCD234E5.*), will it work then?

dejo
Jul 6, 2010, 11:45 AM
Both my old and my new AppID are wildcards (A1BCD234E5.*), will it work then?
It should. And if they're the same, there's not really an old and a new, is there? ;)

Danneman101
Jul 7, 2010, 03:27 PM
It should. And if they're the same, there's not really an old and a new, is there? ;)

No, different prefixes :D

Well, alea jacta est - its submitted now and Ill let you know if it worked or not :)