PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreaking iPhone/Compatibilty in foriegn countries.

fifthmanstandin
Jul 3, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hi all,

I recently updated my iPhone 3g and am irritated with how slow it's running as I've heard a lot of people are. I've read about downgrading to the old OS but I'm beginning to consider jailbreaking it. I only have a few questions and i was hoping someone would know:

1) I'm planning on spending 6 months in SE Asia toward the end of this year. I'd like my phone to work there if possible. I'll completely admit that I've not researched this topic enough but my general question is, can I jailbreak my phone and then enable it for use in SE Asia, if so how?

2) Would jailbreaking the phone make it more difficult in some way to enable it for use there?

Unintelligible questions I know and I apologize but I have no idea with where to start for all of it.

Thanks for any help.

labman
Jul 3, 2010, 03:26 PM
google Unlock and look at the stickies up top!

fifthmanstandin
Jul 3, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hypothetically speaking, for an unlock i presume a certain sim card would be needed for the phone to work there. I've googled 'Thailand sim card' and found little info. How would I go about finding what/which sim card is needed?

dhlizard
Jul 3, 2010, 03:37 PM
3G will run slow on iOS 4

To use your iPhone on a GSM network in Asia, you will need to jailbreak it then unlock it.

You can restore your 3G to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, then use Redsn0w to jailbreak it, then Ultrasn0w to unlock it.

Go to iClarified for tutorials on how to do this.

Once done, you cannot update your phone thru iTunes or it will remove jailbreak and unlock.

fifthmanstandin
Jul 3, 2010, 03:40 PM
Also, being that I have a legit contract with ATT&T, how would all of this relate back to my cell phone plan? As I'm assuming once unlocked one cannot simply pop in a GSM Sim card and make free calls from Mordor.

dhlizard
Jul 3, 2010, 03:41 PM
Also, being that I have a legit contract with ATT&T, how would all of this relate back to my cell phone plan? As I'm assuming once unlocked one cannot simply pop in a GSM Sim card and make free calls from Mordor.

You can continue to use your AT&T sim here in the US. Once overseas, just drop in any GSM sim and it will work.

fifthmanstandin
Jul 3, 2010, 03:47 PM
But in purchasing a compatible sim card with that area, would i receive er.....minutes? I mean they charge for them here, I assume it's the same principal there. Or does it work like a pre-paid re loadable phone cards in Sim card form?

dhlizard
Jul 3, 2010, 03:50 PM
But in purchasing a compatible sim card with that area, would i receive er.....minutes? I mean they charge for them here, I assume it's the same principal there. Or does it work like a pre-paid re loadable phone cards in Sim card form?

I have no idea about what sim cards are available in Asia. I suggest you use Google, you need a GSM sim card

Troon
Jul 7, 2010, 07:11 PM
I live in Thailand. I bought my Iphone 3Gs there, they are all unlocked in Thailand.

There are a few sim cards you can use. The most popular is 1-2-call. Unfortunately 3G is not that widely used in Thailand. Call rates are mega cheap to your home country, and if you get 1-2-call you can call them up and get 60 hours Internet time for about £6 for a month.

If you have any more questions PM me and iíll gladly help.