Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grim103

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
USA
The Mac PowerBook G4 was my first computer that my uncle gave to me for free, lasted so long and was such a good computer, to bad i sold it. I sold it fo $100, was i robbed? or was that a fair price as the disk drive didnt work. and the hinges were getting loose. :apple:

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
The Mac PowerBook G4 was my first computer that my uncle gave to me for free, lasted so long and was such a good computer, to bad i sold it. I sold it fo $100, was i robbed? or was that a fair price as the disk drive didnt work. and the hinges were getting loose. :apple:

For such an old computer, you got your use out of it and you did well. I would have asked only more than $100 if for some reason the computer just sat in the closet and was in mint condition.

Sometimes it's even hard to give away any PowerPC G4 era computer.

I use my PowerPC G4 Mac mini and will continue as long as it works. There are no high end games or apps I use so it's OK. It's not great with any video on the internet though. I know it would be close to impossible to sell my G4 Mac mini even though it's working perfectly. Since then, there was the Intel Core Solo version with the Core Duo on the top end of the Mac mini line, the Core Duo throughout the entire line, the Core 2 Duo, and now the unibody Core 2 Duo Mac mini.

After so many versions of chips and upgrades, its hard to generate any interest. Since your PowerBook G4 computer, there have been body modifications as well as going to Core Duo, then to Core 2 Duo with ever increasing speed bumps along the way. The current professional level 15" and 17" MacBook Pros have the Core i5 chips up from Core 2 Duos which use to grace the top of the MacBook Pro line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.