PDA

View Full Version : Pricey iPod upgrade worth every dime

MacBytes
Nov 2, 2004, 01:35 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Pricey iPod upgrade worth every dime (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041102143550)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

rikers_mailbox
Nov 2, 2004, 02:00 PM
Mr. Wendland is a big fan of everything Apple. . . his iMac G5 review was quoted by Jobs in the iPod Photo keynote and his Blog (http://www.macmove.com) has a healthy dose of Mac-related content.

There needs to be more Tech reporters like Mike. :)

mfeldman
Nov 2, 2004, 04:08 PM
I saw a Seinfeld episode where Elaine tried to get a gay guy to "switch teams" (not that there is anything wrong with that). He switched back, though.

This guy went from being a Windows tech writer to Mac, right? The article is basically gushing praise about the iPod.

:rolleyes:

nagromme
Nov 2, 2004, 04:19 PM
Apple makes great products. That's why we lose very few players.

It's not helping me save $500 though. I could sure use some reviews like "iPod Photo should be dubbed iPod Dodo" and "Useless new iPod plagued by design blunders, poisonous spiders."

jchen
Nov 2, 2004, 06:14 PM
I could sure use some reviews like "iPod Photo should be dubbed iPod Dodo" and "Useless new iPod plagued by design blunders, poisonous spiders."

I'd probably buy one anyway. :eek: This is a rough forum for headlines.

JohnHummel
Nov 2, 2004, 08:33 PM
I've heard that the iPod Photo will, by default, display the CD album cover while the song is playing.

If this is true, when you connect the iPod Photo to the TV, do you get the same thing? Sometimes I plug the iPod into the TV via the RCA jacks to listen to music, but the TV just has this stupid blue display. I thought it would be nice to have the album cover display by default, since then I could look up from whatever I was reading, go "Oh, yeah - that's the name of this music from this CD" (useful for listening to classical or J-Pop) and go back to my book(s).

Abstract
Nov 2, 2004, 09:37 PM
Well if this guy is obviously such a Mac fanatic, then why are we happy that he praised Apple yet again? He's clearly biased. I'm not saying that the iPod photo isn't great, but for what I use it for (jogging), it isn't any better than my 4G iPod. Even the antiskip is worse, and my iPod skips on rare occasions already when I jog.

And I don't need pictures, although the colour screen and battery life is cool, but for a slightly bigger, heavier iPod that costs heaps more (relative to the money I have)?

Reviews like this don't mean anything. If it was written by someone who was clearly a Mac Hater, then you'd be all against it and biased-writers.

AmigoMac
Nov 3, 2004, 05:46 AM
Even the antiskip is worse.

:eek: just because it went from 25 to 17 min? ... come on, with 10 min. you will be more than perfect. I'd say a bit lower but ... Worse? :eek:

Abstract
Nov 3, 2004, 09:10 AM
Yes....worse. Even you can acknowledge that 17 minutes is less than 25 minutes, right? :p

And that's if my mp3s are encoded at 128 kbps. I try to encode at 160kbps AAC now, but still have some that are 192 kbps AAC. 192 is 50% larger than 128, so if all my files were at 192kbps, then I'd have around 16.7 minutes of antiskip. Using the new iPod photo, I'd get.... 11.4 minutes. That is "worse" for a jogger.

And again, my iPod has skipped only several times before, but probably because it had decent antiskip and memory onboard. If it has less, I wonder how much more it'd skip.

Colour screen is cool, though, as is the longer battery life. :) I just don't need it.

nagromme
Nov 3, 2004, 09:36 AM
...when you connect the iPod Photo to the TV, do you get the same thing? Sometimes I plug the iPod into the TV via the RCA jacks to listen to music, but the TV just has this stupid blue display. I thought it would be nice to have the album cover display by default, since then I could look up from whatever I was reading, go "Oh, yeah - that's the name of this music from this CD"...

I agree, that would be very cool! I'd love have the full iPod UI on the TV, to go with a nice RemoteRemote 2!

But iPod only outputs slideshows to TV. Maybe the software can be updated, though. Your next stop, and mine:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html