Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Usually, these kind of questions come up when OP doesn't do his homework. In my case, I did mine and I'm pretty split.

I like the added feature of Keyboard doc whereas I like slim wireless that also lets me do landscape. Keyboard doc has this weird shape that sticks out while wireless uses bluetooth which is no as good for battery life.

Any other real life experience with the one or the other or both?

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I think it really depends on if you use it for more then the iPad.

I have a wireless I use a lot with my macbook pro when I hook it up to my monitor.

But this also lets me use it on my iPad, which is really haven't done much.

My brother has the dock + keyboard and it's pretty cool because it's the native place to dock that it sits idle and charges and you could shoot out a quick email etc.

Soooooooo I'm actually leaning toward the doc/keyboard combo because you'll probably actually use it, where with the bluetooth you'll have to turn it on, wait for a sync, then use, turn it off etc..

My two cents.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I personally like the wireless one over the doc version because then I do not have to be right up on the screen when I type. This gives me a little freedom when I am doing work on my iPad.

I have the iPad dock and the wireless keyboard and it is great. Plus, as others have mentioned the wireless keyboard can be used with other devices that support Bluetooth.

leeschill

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
i use my wireless with my macbook. But when I want to connect to the iPad I have to remove my connection then connect up with my iPad. I can't share a keyboard, which makes sense, but is there an easier way to "Toggle" between which device uses the wireless keyboard?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I really like the wireless option, especially if you have a case that will support the iPad in a more vertical orientation. Nice feel to the keyboard, and nice to be able to slide it around on the table/desk a little without having the screen attached!

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
i use my wireless with my macbook. But when I want to connect to the iPad I have to remove my connection then connect up with my iPad. I can't share a keyboard, which makes sense, but is there an easier way to "Toggle" between which device uses the wireless keyboard?

No. I read that this is due to security reasons, but it always sounded like a cop out to me.

Basically, a keyboard can only "remember" one pairing at a time. Therefore, you need to unpaid it from one computer in order to pair it with another. It would be cool if someone could come up with a bluetooth KVM switch or something.

Anyway, back to your question... No, sorry.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have both. I think that both are excellent. The keyboard dock has dedicated iPad keys that are missing from the BT keyboard. The solid docking of the iPad in portrait mode is great for document creation. I keep the keyboard dock in my home office as a more "permanent" fixture. I briefly jailbroke my iPad and used the mouse driver.... it was a very nice way to work with the iPad. (After iOS4 is available, I may re-jailbreak it to gain back mouse access)

I take the BT keyboard with me in my Targus netbook case. Unfortunately BT keyboard has a design flaw that makes the keyboard turn on with the slightest pressure of the power button. I have to either remove the battery or place a plastic bottle cap over the button to prevent it from accidentally turning on.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I have both. I think that both are excellent. The keyboard dock has dedicated iPad keys that are missing from the BT keyboard. The solid docking of the iPad in portrait mode is great for document creation. I keep the keyboard dock in my home office as a more "permanent" fixture. I briefly jailbroke my iPad and used the mouse driver.... it was a very nice way to work with the iPad. (After iOS4 is available, I may re-jailbreak it to gain back mouse access)

I take the BT keyboard with me in my Targus netbook case. Unfortunately BT keyboard has a design flaw that makes the keyboard turn on with the slightest pressure of the power button. I have to either remove the battery or place a plastic bottle cap over the button to prevent it from accidentally turning on.

I have not compared, but what are the dedicated iPad keys?

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
i was in the same situation and i went for Wireless keyboard and i am quite happy with it, because i mostly use my iPad in landscape mode(for web and typing) and also i prefer a wireless setup rather than connecting my iPad to a keyboard, i find it more easier to use

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
With both Wifi and Bluetooth on, when i was browsing the web, i think i lost about 1-2% of battery (with the brightness set to 30%)

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Went through this debate myself today.

I decided to buy the Apple Bluetooth keyboard because it would allow me to type any distance from my iPad without having it literally right in front of my face like the keyboard/dock combo does.

Also it allows me to work in landscape or portrait. Paired it u through the Settings menu, and within seconds it was working very nicely I must say. Love the feel of the keys, and how small it is... yet a full-size keyboard.

Before making the decision, I found this link helpful: Review of Apple iPad Keyboard on iLounge

doodude

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
pssst, look behind you...
Im having the debate now as I am going to purchase an iPad ( 32gb-wifi ) today or after I am done debating myself...

One concern I had was being able to connect to the keyboard/dock or even just the dock, while in a case. Ive seen 1 case that allows for connecting to a dock in portrait mode only, while it seems all the others will not. (If there are more maybe someone can direct me...)

I find more 'pros' to a BT keyboard than a KB/dock & some have been mentioned.
I can move the BT around for my comfort while working.
I wont be forced to sit on top of the iPad. Maybe this more of KB/doc 'con'.
A BT is more portable. Easier to pack...
I could use the Apple case as a stand for both portrait & Landscape.
I can still charge the iPad as I work with cable. By the way, how long is the charging cable that it comes with. Maybe I would need to get the 6' version.

The addition of dedicated buttons dosent seem (IMO) to over ride the reduction in comfort, the lack of docking while in a case & only having portrait mode in which to work.

I may have just answered all of my own questions unless someone can tell me where Im wrong.

BTW: is the iPad only going to work with an 'official Apple' keyboard or can I use any BT capable keyboards???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.