PDA

View Full Version : AirPort Extreme Card on late 2004 G5 Mac detects no wireless networks! please help

nito.feito
Jul 3, 2010, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a refurbished AirPort Extreme Card and AirPort antenna for my late 2004 Power Mac G5. My Mac is running on OS X Version 10.4.11. I properly installed them, since the computer notes the AirPort Extreme card in the "About Mac" menu. There are a couple of wireless networks near my home and the computer doesn't detect any of them. I've checked out previous forum discussions around this issue, tried some suggested troubleshooting to no avail. Can I presume the AirPort Extreme card is defective? It detects absolutely no signal from the other networks around here. Could the WEP password length of our router have anything to do with it? Do I need to download a driver to activate the AirPort Extreme Card? Could upgrading to a different operating system make it work?

I would appreciate any help, any suggestions. Thank you.

kilowattradio
Jul 3, 2010, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a refurbished AirPort Extreme Card and AirPort antenna for my late 2004 Power Mac G5. My Mac is running on OS X Version 10.4.11. I properly installed them, since the computer notes the AirPort Extreme card in the "About Mac" menu. There are a couple of wireless networks near my home and the computer doesn't detect any of them. I've checked out previous forum discussions around this issue, tried some suggested troubleshooting to no avail. Can I presume the AirPort Extreme card is defective? It detects absolutely no signal from the other networks around here. Could the WEP password length of our router have anything to do with it? Do I need to download a driver to activate the AirPort Extreme Card? Could upgrading to a different operating system make it work?

I would appreciate any help, any suggestions. Thank you.

If the networks broadcast there identification so any one with a WiFi card can see them so they can connect to WiFi routers and you can't see them then the card is defective. If they do not broadcast their ID's you will have to set up the wireless connection so that the right name and encryption protocol is used.
:eek:

kilowattradio
Jul 4, 2010, 12:47 AM
BTW, This USB wireless Card works great with my G-5 and yes it supports Mac OS X Tiger & Leopard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156152&Tpk=tew-424ub

drewdle
Jul 4, 2010, 01:16 AM
I'd recommend downloading the newest AirPort Utility software just as a means of covering your bases. Should be 5.4.2 for Tiger, 5.5.1 for Leopard and higher.

nito.feito
Jul 5, 2010, 10:24 PM
thanks Keith and Drewdle; I really appreciate it. I'll try downloading the newest utility software before I give up on the Extreme Card I bought (which is probably defective).

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 14, 2010, 12:37 PM
Did you hook up the antenna wire to the APX card? If it's reading in the System Profilier, then it sounds like a reception issue so maybe an antenna isn't connected properly?

Hrududu
Jul 14, 2010, 03:29 PM
Did you turn Airport on? When you install a card for the first time, it doesn't turn on be default, you have to do it manually. Then you'll have to go into networks to enable it.

Kaji79
Jul 15, 2010, 07:08 PM
Check the antenna. I got giddy when installing mine, had the same problems.

nito.feito
Aug 14, 2010, 04:52 PM
Keith, thank you for recommending that wireless adapter. It works great; it took me less than 15 minutes to install that baby (an affordable one at that) and access the Internet.

~ Juan