Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
i should be getting FCE tomorrow, so i need these to basic questions answered.

i have 190GB of .AVI that i'm sure i got to transcode into .mov using AIC codec to use them in FCE. is this correct?

What Audio format do I need to use in FCE for voiceovers?

thanks
:cool:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Wow that seems like a lot of effort to go through! I hope there is no quality lost in the transcode (I know transcode doesn't lose quality but you never know).

Maybe use the DV codec inside of the .mov container, then use the native DV audio codec?

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
so your saying i should transcode into DV instead of .Mov using AIC?

or you talking about the audio?

the audio will mostly likely be saved in .wav format

PS its now 313GB ><

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
use aiff or wav for voice over, FCP dosen't like mp3s, as for the .avi what codec are they encoded with? I think that if you open the avis in quicktime and then "save as" them it will just repackage them as .mov so you wont lose a lot of time re encoding the files.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
If the footage is SD, use QuickTime DV/DVCPro - NOT a .DV stream.

If the footage is HD, use the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC).

For audio files, use AIFF, 48khz, 16 bit or 32 khz, 12 bit - whichever one matches you Sequence settings in FCE.

-DH

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
i have a problem i setup MPEG streamclip to export the AVI to Export to quicktime & selected Apple Intermediate Codec pressed make movie. it goes through the 200MB video in under 3 seconds then when i play back the mov file the video's blank but audio is there?

what can i do?

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
no problem,

VLC plays the AVI - fine
Windows media player - fine
Quicktime X - Doesn't work (fails to open)
Streamclip cant play the file :( - plays audio no video

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-06 at 19.24.47.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-06 at 19.24.47.png
    231.5 KB · Views: 77

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
no codecs installed atm, brand new Imac 27" got an hour ago

soon as i open the movie in that program it crashes :eek:

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Type: Video
Codec: FRAPS realtime Video Capture
res: 1280x720
Framerate: 30

Audio
PCM S16 LE (araw)
Stereo
44100khz
bit rate 16

hmm dont think i'm gunna be able to convert it :(

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
That FRAPS video codec seems to be tied to that FRAPS video recording software (for recording games and such).

Maybe you need to go the Windows route and do this:

Why is the AVI movie generated by Fraps so big? How can I reduce the size?
The filesize is big because there isn’t enough time to encode the movie while the game is running. The movie frames are slightly compressed, but still require a large amount of disk space due to the high resolutions. Once you have finished capturing you should convert the saved AVI into one of the popular compressed movie formats such as mpeg or divx. Recommended programs for doing this are tmpgenc (Tsunami Mpeg Encoder), and VirtualDub.

Using VirtualDub is quite easy. To create a compressed version of the AVI follow these steps:

Start VirtualDub
Select File->Open and choose the AVI in the Fraps directory you wish to compress.
Select Video->Compression and choose the codec you wish to compress with (usually divx)
Select File->Save As AVI and specify a filename for the new AVI.
If you have Windows XP you can also use Windows Movie Maker to compress the video files. If you use Windows Movie Maker it's recommended that you keep your Fraps video files at 800x600 or under.

from http://www.fraps.com/faq.php#videocap

Or install Perian (http://www.perian.org) and see if you will be able to play back the file in QT or MPEG Streamclip.

Or use VLC to transcode it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.