PDA

View Full Version : Mac and Linux Not Immune to Viruses

MacBytes
Nov 2, 2004, 08:57 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Mac and Linux Not Immune to Viruses (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041102215750)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

JeDiBoYTJ
Nov 2, 2004, 09:13 PM
...who ever said mac and linux were "immune" to viruses? :confused:

bousozoku
Nov 2, 2004, 10:02 PM
...who ever said mac and linux were "immune" to viruses? :confused:

Larry did and a lot of Mac users seem to think it's so because they don't understand the details. He obviously doesn't know much about Mac OS X--he assumes it works the same way as Linux. Hopefully, he's learned something from the experience but some of the comments were just stupid.

dombi
Nov 2, 2004, 10:09 PM
Mac and Linux may not be immune, but it seems that Windows just cannot live without viruses. No system is perfect, but Windows is far from it.

crap freakboy
Nov 3, 2004, 04:25 AM
Typically when an article starts with the word 'Opinion' I steady myself before reading a uninformed, technically incorrect and halfarsed attempt at technology journalism. I thank my lucky stars I can speed read.

cluthz
Nov 3, 2004, 04:40 AM
Not immune, but very resistant.. :p

Photorun
Nov 3, 2004, 08:56 AM
Gotta just love Windoze/Gates type apologists like these. :rolleyes:

shamino
Nov 4, 2004, 11:32 AM
A correct article, but it doesn't go far enough.

The main focus of the article is that Linux/MacOS are benefitting from security by obscurity. Which is true.

But he fails to elaborate on his first point - that worms today rely on social engineering. He mentions Bagel, but doesn't say why this is such a good example.

The Bagel (aka Beagle) worm tries to hide from antivirus software by storing itself in an encrypted zip file. Now, a worm can't auto-execute from within an encrypted zip file. So the e-mail carrier contains a message telling the user to unzip the file (using the encryption key stored in the mail) and execute the program contained within.

The fact that thousands of people fall for this is mind boggling.

If people can be convinced to do this, then they can just as easily be convinced to type in their administrator/root passwords. Once a virus/worm has that, it's game over. All the security in the world won't protect you from a virus you've just given full administrative privileges to.