PDA

View Full Version : Pad and Quill anyone?

vito
Jul 4, 2010, 06:08 PM
Hi

A lot of mention on the Dodocase but I came across these guys (http://www.padandquill.com/) and wondered if anyone has bought one. Looks similar to the Dodocase with a few slight differences!

IrishVixen
Jul 4, 2010, 06:39 PM
Love the iPhone version! My husband will want one. For me, as pretty as it is, if it doesn't have a real typing position, I just don't find it to be a practical iPad case. Add in that it's really not drop proof (which they themselves admit on their FAQ page) and it's a lot to spend on a case that is more decorative than functional.

Just me though. Judging by how popular the Dodo is, this will likely sell well.

vito
Jul 5, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hi

I had similar thoughts about typing comfortability but it seems okay judging from reviews of the Dodocase. I was looking for an alternative to the dodo due to recent reports of issues with their case.

cloroxbleach4
Jul 6, 2010, 12:36 PM
Just purchased one today. Can't wait till it comes in. It offers more features ( sounds channel, bookmark tab, and straps to lock it into a stand) than the dodo case and is cheaper.

vito
Jul 6, 2010, 06:06 PM
Great! Please post pics when you get it.

mashinhead
Jul 9, 2010, 01:13 PM
i too just ran across this case. I was never interested in the dodo one. but this looks like it props up much better than the dodo case which makes it much more appealing to me. I think I might pull the trigger on this one.

itoddm
Jul 10, 2010, 07:01 PM
I'm been looking over the Pad and Quill case also and I like it much more than the DoDo Case. Looks like a simple case but a good one. I think for me I like the way it hides the iPad so it doesn't scream "expensive piece of equipment."

itoddm
Jul 10, 2010, 11:20 PM
Well i just bought it . Hopefully it will be a nice item

jeremyblevins
Jul 10, 2010, 11:28 PM
well i got excited when i read the thread title thinking awesome a quill for multitouch surfaces. but alas my dreams are destroyed :(

MacRumorUser
Jul 13, 2010, 03:30 AM
Damn this thread. As if I needed yet another case :)

Just ordered both the iPad & iPhone case. Shipping was $30 first item + $10 for subsequent item.

itoddm
Jul 24, 2010, 09:57 AM
Mine is supposed to ship this week. Can't wait

cloroxbleach4
Jul 24, 2010, 01:50 PM
Did you get an email saying it was shipping? I'm still waiting patiently for mine.

Also, when did you order?

itoddm
Jul 24, 2010, 02:23 PM
Did you get an email saying it was shipping? I'm still waiting patiently for mine.

Also, when did you order?

I sent an email and they said it would ship out the first of next week. On their facebook page they also said they had a big shipment going out this first of next week. I ordered a couple of weeks ago.

cloroxbleach4
Jul 24, 2010, 03:53 PM
I sent an email and they said it would ship out the first of next week. On their facebook page they also said they had a big shipment going out this first of next week. I ordered a couple of weeks ago.

I just decided to email them too. I've been anxiously waiting for it to arrive.

cloroxbleach4
Jul 24, 2010, 04:54 PM
Just got a reply, he said they would be shipping out early next week.

itoddm
Jul 24, 2010, 05:06 PM
I hope it is as well made as it seems and lives up to my expectations

cloroxbleach4
Jul 24, 2010, 06:38 PM
I hope it is as well made as it seems and lives up to my expectations

I know what you mean. After this long wait, hopefully it's what I expect. I couldn't find any reviews on the case either, it's not as popular as the dodocase.

iFidget
Jul 24, 2010, 06:48 PM
Has anyone else had a problem getting to their facebook page? The link just throws me straight to the facebook homepage, and I can't find them in any searches. itoddm's post is the only indication I've had that it's actually working.

itoddm
Jul 24, 2010, 06:48 PM
I know what you mean. After this long wait, hopefully it's what I expect. I couldn't find any reviews on the case either, it's not as popular as the dodocase.

It looks like it is better made than dodo but that is just my opinion based on pictures from the web. The bamboo frame worried me along with the rubber stoppers to keep the iPad in. The sound channel seemed like a nice touch (if it makes a difference).

mchank
Jul 24, 2010, 07:06 PM
I received mine a few days ago. So far I really like it; I had a Dodocase on order earlier, but cancelled it due to all the concerns about it not holding the iPad securely. What's the point of a case if it drops the iPad? The fit is extremely snug. The corner pads are made up of rubber, not compressible foam like the Dodo, and holds the iPad in really well. The case is pretty big and a little heavy, but looks very nice and really hides the iPad inconspicuously when carrying it around. The nice thing about the snap is that it props up the cover movie viewing securely, which was a complaint with the Dodocase.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

BMP84
Jul 24, 2010, 07:34 PM
Well I'm definitely intrigued with this one, now to convince the wife that this is work the price tag. :rolleyes:

itoddm
Jul 24, 2010, 07:47 PM
I received mine a few days ago. So far I really like it; I had a Dodocase on order earlier, but cancelled it due to all the concerns about it not holding the iPad securely. What's the point of a case if it drops the iPad? The fit is extremely snug. The corner pads are made up of rubber, not compressible foam like the Dodo, and holds the iPad in really well. The case is pretty big and a little heavy, but looks very nice and really hides the iPad inconspicuously when carrying it around. The nice thing about the snap is that it props up the cover movie viewing securely, which was a complaint with the Dodocase.

You mentioned one thing that was a selling point for me. I like the fact that is hides the iPad. Also I was afraid the ipad would fall out of the DoDo case also from the videos I saw whereas the Quill looked more secure.

Do you think the "sound channel" amplifies the sound?
Does the covering seem like it will stand up to use?

cloroxbleach4
Jul 24, 2010, 08:36 PM

Anyway you could post some pics?

applesupergeek
Jul 25, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hi

A lot of mention on the Dodocase but I came across these guys (http://www.padandquill.com/) and wondered if anyone has bought one. Looks similar to the Dodocase with a few slight differences!

I lobe your taste bro, these are some very classy, chic and vintage looking products, and very good prices too. :)

I d love to hear about ease of use and weight.

vito
Jul 25, 2010, 03:52 PM

Hi

Does it add a great deal of weight or is it acceptable?

Is the typing angle okay, does the seam/bind handle the weight of the iPad okay?

Please post some pics!

Thanks

vito
Jul 25, 2010, 05:40 PM
Do you think it will fit in the case with an invisible shield or any other clear protection etc

thanks

itoddm
Jul 25, 2010, 05:50 PM
Do you think it will fit in the case with an invisible shield or any other clear protection etc

thanks

I have a Wrapsol full body cover on my iPad. My guess (and it is a guess) is that it should fit fine. I may have to remove the edges but I would think the back piece (and of course the front piece) should not be an issue. Of course I could be totally wrong. Hopefully I can report back with a yes or no in a few days.

vito
Jul 25, 2010, 06:11 PM
I have a Wrapsol full body cover on my iPad. My guess (and it is a guess) is that it should fit fine. I may have to remove the edges but I would think the back piece (and of course the front piece) should not be an issue. Of course I could be totally wrong. Hopefully I can report back with a yes or no in a few days.

That would be great if you could check and report back, thanks.

I was thinking of getting the clear coat?

itoddm
Jul 25, 2010, 06:22 PM
That would be great if you could check and report back, thanks.

I was thinking of getting the clear coat?

I'm not sure I've heard of the clear coat. Can you provide a link to that?

I'm not completely sold on the Wrapsol. I purchased it and put the back side on without an issue, the edges were easy. The front was a different issue. I had a time getting it on straight and then found several pieces of "dirt" or "dust" and ended up removing those but the screen cover never "cleared up" and I order a replacement. The replacement went on easier but the cut was NOT precise.

mchank
Jul 25, 2010, 06:47 PM
Regarding the sound amplifier:

the cutout has an angle to it that "redirects" the sounds towards you, rather than just shooting it straight to the side with a straight cutout. It doesn't increase the volume really as much as it pushes it more towards you so that is "sounds" louder. 'Sound amplifier' is better marketing than "sound redirector".

Cover:
I've only had it for a few days, and haven't been rough with it, so I can't really say how well it will hold up over time. But it seems very well put together; Good craftsmanship, no sloppy glue or anything similar. The cover is high quality and seems like it will stand up. The cover reminds me of a hardback artist's sketchbook.

Pics:
Right now my good camera has been borrowed by a relative on vacation. I can take some crappy camera phone pics if that will suffice.

Weight:
Its almost as heavy as the iPad itself, so it does add a bit of weight when carrying it around. I was using the Apple case before, and I can definitely feel the difference when I hold up the case with iPad when reading. The case is really snug (so far), so its a pain to take it in and out. I wouldn't recommend this case to people who like to hold the iPad without resting it on your legs or something. Its definitely a more looks over function type of case. It takes away from the thinness and lightweight of the iPad, and it doubles the thickness. But its really nice looking, especially when you have it propped up for movie watching. Definitely an eye-catcher.

Binding:
The binding and cover are very rigid, and the case doesn't flop down, like some people with Dodocases were complaining about. But I haven't done much typing with it and I've only had it for a short time, so I can't say how well it will hold up over time. But so far no wobbling.

Invisible Shield/Wrapsol:
The case is very snug so I don't recommend a fully body shield; maybe if you left the iPad corners uncovered it would work, but otherwise no.

Overall, I definitely recommend this one over the Dodocase, as it seems to solve a lot of the problems that people had with the Dodo. Rubber is much better than foam for longevity. It 'hides' the iPad much more because the iPad is fully recessed in the case, unlike the Dodo, which only really covers the corners. Complaints that I have so far are that its pretty heavy compared to other cases, the thickness of the case gets into the way of typing as I need to angle my wrists more. The clasp mechanism is tight, but since its basically a ribbon, I have to wonder how well it will hold up over time.

One workmanship issue that I have is that it came with a tiny chip in the top layer of wood. Its where the back of the iPad rests so you can't really see it when you're using it, but its still a little disconcerting, considering the case is on the expensive side compared to others.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

vito
Jul 29, 2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the in depth review. Howis the case holding up after a few days of use?

Any chance of some close-up pictures, maybe a video, there doesn't seem to be any reviews on YouTube!

Ciclismo
Jul 29, 2010, 07:33 PM
I want one, but $30 for shipping to NZ :(

Anyone heading my way from the US anytime soon?

mokeiko
Jul 29, 2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the in depth review. Howis the case holding up after a few days of use?

Any chance of some close-up pictures, maybe a video, there doesn't seem to be any reviews on YouTube!

Yes, close up photos please if you can

mokeiko

itoddm
Jul 29, 2010, 09:27 PM
Mine has shipped. I'm awaiting its arrival. Hopefully in a day or two.

cloroxbleach4
Jul 29, 2010, 09:32 PM
Mine has shipped. I'm awaiting its arrival. Hopefully in a day or two.

Same here

cloroxbleach4
Aug 2, 2010, 10:53 AM
My case is scheduled to come today!

vito
Aug 2, 2010, 04:45 PM
My case is scheduled to come today!

W00t!! Pics please!

SVT Amateur
Aug 26, 2010, 09:22 AM
I ordered this case two days ago. I had ordered the Book Book case but realized I wouldn't be happy with the elastic bands and so I sought something else that was similar and happened upon the Pad and Quill case. Their website says there is a 10-14 day wait so I'll be patiently waiting.

jmor
Aug 26, 2010, 12:13 PM
Can anyone post some pictures?

iFidget
Aug 27, 2010, 09:38 PM
Some pics for those who are asking! Sorry about the crappy quality, they're all a bit bright :cool:.

http://imgur.com/v1i6N.jpg

I've had this for a while now and as you can see the ribbon is fraying. Theres also a little bit of fray on the fastener fabric as well but nothing major.

http://imgur.com/HSbwK.jpg

http://imgur.com/6Pvvd.jpg

http://imgur.com/wii9v.jpg

http://imgur.com/NuCOG.jpg

One minor gripe for me is a small gap between the back of the case and the ipad. For some reason mine won't sit down any further in the case. Anyone else having this issue?

withoutyou
Sep 10, 2010, 09:33 AM
Does anyone have more pics or experience with Pad and Quill case to share? Does an iPad easily fall out of the case?

itoddm
Sep 10, 2010, 09:55 PM
Does anyone have more pics or experience with Pad and Quill case to share? Does an iPad easily fall out of the case?

It is a very snug secure fit. Take a good bit of "pull" to remove it from the case. I have no fear of it falling out. It does add thickness but it also hides the ipad so it is not obvious what it is.

SVT Amateur
Sep 11, 2010, 07:33 PM
I got the Pad and Quill Volume 2 case in today (I had ordered the Volume 1 but I'm assuming they quit making them) and I love it. I love how the frame wraps around the iPad and how I can now view the entire front of my iPad instead of covering it up like my other case did.

The case is plain looking from the outside - which I like because it gives it more of a stealth look. I just wish I could combine the outer looks of the BookBook case when the inside engineering of the Pad and Quill case.

jmor
Sep 11, 2010, 10:22 PM
Very nice, do you like the case overall? Is it very heavy or not too bad? Thanks

poetriot
Apr 15, 2011, 09:05 AM
This site has lots of good pictures and a video of the Pad & Quill Case.

http://ipadcaseden.com/articles/pad-and-quill-or-dodo-case/
Here is a review of the Pad & Quill vs. The Dodo Case. Good size comparison here. Much thicker and about 1 pound.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/ipad-case-smackdown-dodocase-vs-pen-quill/
Pad & Quill seems more durable.